New Cache Type - Soliciting/ Commercial Cache [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 16 February 05 12:44 am

Whilst I'm not 'for it' I'm not totally closing the door either. The idea may have some merit in the future. Lets imagine the sport really exploding in Aus and the server/hosting costs increasing ten fold maybe the idea would have some merit with business's listing 'thier own' caches and being charged a small monthly fee for the privaledge to ideology, thus leaving caching free to the community and you can choose wether or not to 'pay' to hit the cache. Just another form of advertising without the ads being thrust in your face. IMO it may have some merit down the line somewhere in the not to distant future. We don't have the market force as yet, but times may change ...

ideology

Post by ideology » 16 February 05 7:29 am

our broad view is that placing a cache should add to the game

commercial caches are designed to make a profit, not add to the game. if the cost to create a commercial cache is almost zero, like email, the listings will eventually clog up with cache spam. we get enough spam already! there may be a commercial cache which both makes a profit for them and adds to the game. eg if brand xyz approached us and said they'd like to launch their new geocaching gps in australia by popping one in a cache in each state, it would be nice to do that kind of thing

pay-for-visit caches at a park or a zoo seem fine to us provided there's something decent there! presumably if someone is charging an entrance fee there is, but horses for courses, not everyone will agree. we guess it would come down to personal opinion. we are planning an ignore list so people could cross caches off their list without doing them.

we feel a bit differently about charity caches. in our view they are adding to the game by giving it a worthwhile purpose, but we appreciate that not everyone will agree with us on this. we have no idea how to stop any potential charity cache spam though.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 16 February 05 11:26 am

let me just add, this was a topic for discussion, and I don't necessarily think it is a good idea, just a good one to thrash out.

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 16 February 05 12:53 pm

I believe there already is a pay-2-visit cache here in sydney, and at I think $70 per adult, I don't see it being done anytime soon.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... f2912f33bc

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 16 February 05 1:03 pm

Cached wrote:let me just add, this was a topic for discussion, and I don't necessarily think it is a good idea, just a good one to thrash out.
Too late to back out now Cached... we know what sort of a person you truly are now and this will colour any future posts you make. :D

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 16 February 05 1:34 pm

I can see two different types of "Commercial Caches". <p>
The first being like the one in Sydney where there is a historical/tourist/scenic location which may be visited as a normal recreation or tourist activity and the finding of a cache being as an added bonus to the activity and the entry fee would be similar to requiring a hire of a boat to do a scuba cache or petrol for a 200km trip to find a remote cache.<p>
The other being one in the car park of the local Pizza Restaurant where you get a free pizza voucher by signing the log. This type would, I fear, give rise to a proliferation of lame caches which would not be in the interest of the game.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 16 February 05 3:49 pm

aussiecoder wrote:before you know it there TV rights
Feel free to PM me if you are interested in buying the TV rights to Ebenezer geocaching. I accept cash.

:D

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 16 February 05 3:55 pm

Would it be ok if an entire Bunnings Store was entered as a cache?

Log -
Easily found the cache but had to park about 450m from GZ. Not sure if coming in on a Saturday Arvo was such a good idea. Muggles everywhere today. Poor suckers don't even realise they are walking around inside a Geocache :) . Took a fair while to ruffle through the cache for the log book. [Eventually located in indoor garden area] encrypt. Note log book is slightly damp.

Hats off to the placers of this cache. The contents are among the best I have seen. Left McDonalds toy, bouncy ball and glow stick. Took pergola kit, 9 piece outdoor setting and a Mitre Saw.

Note: On the way out I was stopped by a Muggle who appeared to work at the cache site and asked what I was up to and if I had paid for my swaps. (Silly Muggle :wink: ) Seemed fairly bemused when I told them "It's ok, I'm a Geocacher". I didn't hang around to discuss but I saw them run off and talk to one of the security people. (Probably trying to find out some more details on our great sport. We may have another couple of converts soon). The security guy obviously wanted to find out more as he was trying to chase me down as I drove out of the car park, but I thought if he was keen he would find out more on his own. Thanks for a great cache. Hope to visit all the other caches in this series soon.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 16 February 05 4:14 pm

On the way out I was stopped by a Muggle who appeared to work at the cache site and asked what I was up to and if I had paid for my swaps. (Silly Muggle :wink: ) Seemed fairly bemused when I told them "It's ok, I'm a Geocacher"
LOL

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 17 February 05 6:19 pm

Webguy wrote:I believe there already is a pay-2-visit cache here in sydney, and at I think $70 per adult, I don't see it being done anytime soon.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... f2912f33bc
Might be some finders soon if any geocachers are going to the 3 day concert held on the island over Easter.

ideology

Post by ideology » 07 October 05 8:23 am

we are thinking of implementing some kind of tag system
it would be like attributes except they would be free-form
similar to flikr, etc

that way you could just put a tag it as "commercial". and possibly "indoors"

we've started another thread on this at
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopic.php?p=42249