tagging caches

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
ideology

tagging caches

Post by ideology » 07 October 05 8:23 am

we have lots on the development list but we'd like to sound out ideas about tagging caches

the idea is that you could annotate caches with one or more "tags" that describe it. for example, you could tag a really extreme cache as "multi-day" one in the city as "urban".

"quickie", "views", "puzzle" are also posibilities. in fact, any word you can think of!

here's an example of tagging: http://www.flickr.com/
go there and enter "geocaching" and you'll see a whole lot of photos
click on a photo and you'll see that it's not just tagged with "geocaching", but it has other tags. click on those and you can navigate around all sorts of similar photos by that photographer or others.

we imagine something like that to show similar caches. you go to a cache you really like, it's tagged with various tags and then you can navigate around other caches that are similarly tagged. mixed with your location and finds, this could be a new and improved hitlist

your thoughts?

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 07 October 05 8:59 am

I ue 43things.com and they use tags too. They are simple to add, and they do make it easy to navigate around the sight.

This would be a fantastic idea.

roostaman
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by roostaman » 07 October 05 9:34 am

Excellent idea i!. Especially for a trip away from your own HQ.
I just did a trip to Melb last weekend & that would have made it much better.
Yes I did get a gpx file limiting the ratings etc, but still if they were tagged by others first it would have helped a lot.

Roostaman

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 07 October 05 10:03 am

Sounds good to me. And of course, it could even be extended to other "objects".

It would be ideal if the existing set of tags in use are available for selection when annotating objects so that people can choose an existing tag in preference to creating a new one. A lot of tagging engines have problems where the tag set includes, for example, "quick", "quickie", "quicky" ... all for the same thing.

- Rog

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 07 October 05 11:03 am

Extending the idea of tagging "objects" a bit further, the commercial cache discussion that led to tagging got me thinking about letting people tag their logs, and those tags would flow up by association to the object (cache, swaggie, ...) that they belong to.

Then, if someone forgets to tag their cache "commercial" or "geolitter", then finders can do it for them in their logs ;)

- Rog

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 07 October 05 1:08 pm

A top idea!

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 07 October 05 2:07 pm

Would an option of "Estimated Time to Complete" eliminate the need for a lot of words in this category. eg a dropdown list with a choice of

5 minutes
10 minutes
15 minutes
20 minutes
30 minutes
45 minutes
1 hour
1.5 hours
2 hours
3 hours
4 hours
6 hours
8 hours

I know the timing could be subjective but if someone has marked it 30 minutes and the first 3 people have come back saying it took 90 minutes then there is an opportunity to readjust accordingly.

Postman Pat
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Postman Pat » 07 October 05 8:18 pm

What might be handy is a tag noteing how far from a road i.e. how far to walk IN and an aproxamate distance. also note if you should take little ones or any dangers for small people i.e. recomend for 5 years old or older ETC