Urban Cachers beware

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Urban Cachers beware

Post by leek » 30 April 04 5:12 pm

SNIFTER
500 or more caches logged

Post by SNIFTER » 30 April 04 6:02 pm

Exactly what every cacher needs. No more frownies.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 04 May 04 6:25 pm

Same ole same ole.

Come down to "Padlocks only keep honest people out"

If something want to be got it will be got. Perhaps I'm an alarmist but I know I'm a realist. I've worked security too many years that people even with technology can do little when despirate measures are being taken.

As far as caching goes - well, who would be silly enough to hids a cache in an airport or hotel hallway.

The Bronze.
Congrats to the Gunnedah Aliens for being the first to achieve A-DAG.
There Advanced Diploma in Applied Geocaching is in the press.

Dingbats
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Dingbats » 05 May 04 6:03 pm

I know a couple of folk who've worked in a software house developing video recognition software. Their product had a relatively easy task of identifying and discriminating trucks on a roadway and then picking the number plate and recognising it.
<p>
Let me tell you this stuff is very difficult to get right. This is one area of academic computer science that is still alive and well. The software described in the article may appear to be all bells and whistles but I expect that it is probably far less functional than ideal.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 05 May 04 6:26 pm

We utilise this software and hardware already. Havent seen too many problems with it overall, it performs pretty faultlessly.

Just remember when you are filling your car with petrol next time, dont pick your nose.
Guaranteed somewhere, a Piggy Surveillance system With just 2 cameras mind you 8) is doing the following:
  • Taking a Picture of the main forecourt of the service station.
    Taking "your" picture (full & head shot) when you pick up the nozzle.
    Taking a closeup of the car you drive.
    Taking an even closer "close-up" of your number plate.
    Figuring out what your number plate "is" and overlaying it into a text file. (Yes, somehow it reads it !!!)
    Text file is then stored on the DVR (Digital Video Recorder) with your footage.
    Pump transfer data is taken from the till and overlayed on DVR as well.
    And does up to another 15 pumps per minute from the one camera ! :shock:
    All drive-offs are as simple as entering the amount of the sale and it will find the footage and Number plate info etc for you :D
And then another single camera will take your rear number plate when you leave the premises..

So any drive offs, Presto, everything ever needed to sit your arse in court !

(ok, stolen plates and home boy caps can may thwart this !)

We have in one servo alone dropped their unclaimed drive offs from over $80 k a year :shock: to just $2.5 k.
Take off the Piggy expenses of about $32 k and its paid itself off very well in a year ! :)

Mix
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 05 May 04 6:53 pm

A blue dressing acquaintance of mine was telling me that all those heavy vehicle monitoring things actually track all cars, but the legislation behind them only covers HVs but that if the little man in the camera (thatÂ’s where he sits right) types your number plate into his computer he knows more about were you have been than you do. BB is watching.

ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 05 May 04 7:09 pm

Mix76 wrote:A blue dressing acquaintance of mine was telling me that all those heavy vehicle monitoring things actually track all cars, but the legislation behind them only covers HVs but that if the little man in the camera (thatÂ’s where he sits right) types your number plate into his computer he knows more about were you have been than you do. BB is watching.
Thats why we allways smile friendly to those camera's, requires you to lean forward and look up though...
I'm sure if you look up my rego on that database you get some funny pics ;)

The Ginger Loon

Post by The Ginger Loon » 06 May 04 12:13 am

ToolkiT wrote: Thats why we allways smile friendly to those camera's
We always wave! :lol:

This technology is to be trialed in Sydney as a means of reducing speeding (read: revenue raising). Your number plate is photographed at two fixed points on the road and the time between the photos is used to determine your average speed. If you average above the legal speed limit, you're goooooone!!!!! I have read and heard that the trial will be on the M4 motorway between Merrylands and Parramatta.

Dingbats

Post by Dingbats » 06 May 04 10:41 am

Team Piggy wrote: Just remember when you are filling your car with petrol next time, dont pick your nose.
This is an example of an excellent application for a system like this. Events are predictible enough to get right.
<p>
Automagically observing a crowd and deciding that the dodgey character in the grey track suit pants just placed a back pack next to an elevator (or a film canister under a seat :) ) and walked away is another story.
<p>

SNIFTER

Post by SNIFTER » 08 May 04 8:24 pm

This little doggy don't smile. I use my paws. Nothing says you can't wave only I do it with one finger.