Event caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Bronze

Post by Bronze » 23 April 04 1:58 am

Man that monkey is just so deep! - makes a good point though.
I bet you don't remember the sixties Pesky do you?

The Bronze.
Adv Dip A/Geo

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 23 April 04 9:11 am

Everyone has their own opinion on the future of geocaching within Australia, but before you decide to pack up your bat and ball and go, IF an association ever starts in Australia, you wouldn't have to be a member of it to benefit from it's results.

Look at the various motoring organisations or ratepayers groups (and there are more that I haven't listed), they lobby everyday on behalf of their members yes, but the general public still reaps the rewards.

I see the whole point of an association as a means of bringing the governement bodies(at local and state levels) and geocachers in general together to discuss options and formalise areas of concern, look at what happened with the cache about twelve months ago that a new member placed in a restricted NPWS area. Ok, he was quickly corrected and the issue resolved by local geocachers, But an association would be able to work close with NPWS and have that knowledge at hand also, and make it readily available if required, to ALL geocacher regardless of their being a member of the organisation. An association could also work as first point of contact for new geocachers.

One other point, how much notice do you think a government body would take of the odd individual knocking on their door saying "look I geocache I want you to change this for me", or to a group that says "we represent X number of people in Australia"? Maybe they would ignore both, but I reckon that the "deputation" might just get a better response.

Just as an example of how effect an association can be, A while ago the Limeburners Track was going to be closed by the landowner after prompting by NSWNPWS due to the stupid actions of a 4WD club at Limeburners Flats, From what I have heard, the overall Australian 4x4 Association stepped in, took action and the Limeburners track remains open to ALL 4x4 users.

But seeing as the general concensus is a resounding NO to an association, I'l leave the lobbying of the various governments (if it all goes down the gurgler) to the individual..... who knows, just maybe that will work too.................

ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 23 April 04 11:21 am

I see your point swampy (Happy B-day BTW!)
The down side is that that delegation makes decisions for the whole group which the group may not agree with...

I see both sides of the story and think the status Quo is fine lets keep this thing semi-underground.. that is part of the fun..

Mix
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 23 April 04 1:55 pm

I would be more interested in starting/joining/forming a GPS Recreational Users Association (GPSRecNav NSW, GPSRecNav QLD, GPSRecNav Aust etcÂ… maybe). Such a group would in a pinching situation be able to lobby and support Geocaching without its members feeling that they own the sport or have the right to make decisions for all cachers. The other benefits of such a wide reaching group would include (but not be limited to) building links to other non-caching GPS users. This would allow us to promote our sport to the one group we need to (GPS owners) but still keep it underground. Many of us would use our GPSrs for more than just caching and such a group would expand the uses of GPS technology for recreational purposes, by promoting the exchange of ideas. The main activities of such a groups (the way the laws are you would need groups in each state) could include an newsletter, WebPages/forum, get togethers, trips, and beginners, intermediate or advanced navigation training. Such a inclusive group might also be able to draw support from the corporate world.<br><br>

This is the legal info on starting such a group in NSW<br> http://www.dsr.nsw.gov.au/industry/r_a-z_cginc.asp
http://www.dsr.nsw.gov.au/industry/insur_insur.asp
<br>and as it points out there would be issues with an interstate group, its not simple and I know there are negatives but its worth discussion (which is what we have been doing I guess so carry onÂ…)

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 23 April 04 7:12 pm

Pesky! wrote: Like an iceberg, only 10 percent of geocaching can be seen from above the surface. and thats the best way to have it.
I like it! :D
Caching quote of the year!

Ecodave :)

Dingbats
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Dingbats » 23 April 04 11:42 pm

I'm a new geocacher so I do not have a good feel for the history of caching in Aus. yet. However, here are a few of my random thoughts about an association.<p>

Associations are good for organising things. The rogaining association organises rogaines, the fishing club organises fishing comps ... In this sense our GC web sites have formed our association. We don't necessarilly need membership fees or committees. Geocaching at the moment has the flexibility of open source software, if a group of cachers decides they want to take caching in a new direction or they don't like a direction GC.com is heading, they are able to splinter, adapt and form their own "rules".<p>

Groups of people not associated formerly can and do lobby for their shared cause. Examples are critical mass and anti-war protestors. The important element for these people is a way to communicate. We have that.<p>

Necessity is the mother of invention. If there comes a time where we need to formalise (legalise) an association then I think we will be able to do that quickly enough.<p>

I acknowlege that liability may be a driver for this. In particularly I'm thinking about folks who run (own? operate?) these web sites and the approvers. If liability is a valid concern then this may be enough of a driver to formalise. On the other hand, it could also be a driver to further democratise and anonymise (is there such a word as that :) )

alex
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by alex » 24 April 04 5:07 pm

Long live the glorious anarchy that is geocaching today!

But when the juggernaut of conformity overtakes us I WANT TO BE THE GRAND POOH-BAH!!!

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 24 April 04 11:14 pm

Should that be yelled as an organised group or a dijointed rabble?

Mix

Post by Mix » 25 April 04 12:38 am

Geocachers all, in unison cry out!

Yes we're all individuals!
'I'm not'

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 25 April 04 9:47 am

I'm not an individual either.

Don't throw me in with the rest of you.

The Bronze.

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 26 April 04 1:16 am

Well I'm unique! 8)

... just like everyone else :roll:

Team Raider
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Raider » 02 May 04 9:20 pm

Team Stargazer wrote:Well I'm unique! 8)

... just like everyone else :roll:

I didnt know there were any unik...oh... oops..... sorry.............
:twisted: :roll:

So stand up and be counted as an individual.... OK,cacher number 15738596 :D

Cheers
Mike