Help on buying the right GPSr!

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Joe Grey

Help on buying the right GPSr!

Post by Joe Grey » 14 August 07 6:44 pm

I'm looking for a hand held GPS receiver to give to my girlfriend as a birthday gift. One of her uncles took her geocaching and now she won't shut up about it. And to be honest, I'm beginning to get the geocaching bug just hearing her talk about it.

So my annoyingly broad question is, what GPSr should I get her?

I haven't done much research because, frankly, I don't know where to begin. I'd love to hear some recommendations from some fellow Aussies. What's a good GPSr for a geocaching beginner? Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

--Joe.

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 14 August 07 7:24 pm

Hi
For a beginner I would recommend the yellow etrex $199.00

Here Johnny Appleseed GPS

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 August 07 7:53 pm

Gunn Parker wrote:Hi
For a beginner I would recommend the yellow etrex $199.00

Here Johnny Appleseed GPS
Beginner? I've found over 1,200 caches with one of those :-)

Crisp image
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by Crisp image » 14 August 07 8:12 pm

Then again if you are going to use it a lot the make sure that you can load waypoints in via a computer. I think that one with a USB connection is better as lots of laptops only have USB slots and you don't need to have an adapter.
That is my 20cents

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 14 August 07 10:21 pm

Agree with gunn Parker and C@W. I have a yellow etrex and have found all my caches with it plus use it for navigation while bushwalking.

Joe Grey

Post by Joe Grey » 22 August 07 4:34 pm

Thanks a bunch guys! I've done a bit of research and I think I'm gonna go for the eTrex. Now it's just a matter of finding the best price.

Anyone have any suggestions on retailers?

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 22 August 07 4:54 pm

Joe Grey wrote:Thanks a bunch guys! I've done a bit of research and I think I'm gonna go for the eTrex. Now it's just a matter of finding the best price.

Anyone have any suggestions on retailers?
Johnny Appleseed or GPSOz are pretty much on a par pricewise. Since you're in Coburg JA's St Kilda Road store might be easier :wink:

oznaturist
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by oznaturist » 22 August 07 7:55 pm

I just arranged a Etrex from GPSOz. Best price inc shipping and they had it in my hands in 1 1/2 days, thats to WA. Cant beat that type of service. :lol:

Udderchaos

Post by Udderchaos » 22 August 07 8:33 pm

actually after mucking around with a heap of GPS's at the CCC event in Mt Gambier.

for a first GPS i would suggest not an etrex, but a garmin gps60

they have USB, cables are included, They have the Geocaching mode & come with trip & waypoint manager software... They can also run on external 12v (rather than 3v) and have a serial port if you need one.

nomad_penguin
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by nomad_penguin » 22 August 07 10:27 pm

Udderchaos wrote:actually after mucking around with a heap of GPS's at the CCC event in Mt Gambier.

they have USB, cables are included, They have the Geocaching mode & come with trip & waypoint manager software... They can also run on external 12v (rather than 3v) and have a serial port if you need one.
Yep. I bought a GPS60 when we started geocaching and have found nearly 600 caches with it. We bought the 12v external power cable for $20 (?) and use it all the time in the car.

We find it really easy to use and fairly accurate. When I upgrade, it will be to something that accepts data cards as I find that 500 waypoints is a little limiting at the moment :oops:

Knot_gillty
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Knot_gillty » 22 August 07 10:53 pm

nomad_penguin wrote:
Udderchaos wrote:actually after mucking around with a heap of GPS's at the CCC event in Mt Gambier.

Yep. I bought a GPS60 when we started geocaching and have found nearly 600 caches with it. We bought the 12v external power cable for $20 (?) and use it all the time in the car.

We find it really easy to use and fairly accurate. When I upgrade, it will be to something that accepts data cards as I find that 500 waypoints is a little limiting at the moment :oops:
The first GPS i bought was the GPS60. I bought it for fishing and camping purposes but found the geocaching function on there and as they say, "the rest is history".

Upgraded to a GPSmap 76 2 weeks later though as i wanted mapping capability. Didn't like the "layout" of the 76 so upgraded 1 week later to my current GPSmap 60CSx. Very happy now. :D