Garmin 60CSx flakes out - Possible manufacturing defect

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Coffee and Cache
2200 or more geocaches found

Garmin 60CSx flakes out - Possible manufacturing defect

Post by Coffee and Cache » 02 June 07 12:43 am

My second Garmin 60CSx has appears to have developed the same fault that caused me to return the first after a few days. Given that this has happened to two units now, it looks like there may be a manufacturing issue with this GPSr.<p>

After turning the unit on, the display lights up, but then fades out gradually after a few seconds. The first unit exhibited this fault a few days after purchase (around xmas 06). It was promptly replaced by the dealer, but Garmin have still, 6 months later, not replaced the City Navigator license locked to the returned unit.<p>

I've been reasonably happy with the second unit up till now, but the reliability does not seem very good.<p>

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know the cause?

Rgds
Steve

Udderchaos
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Udderchaos » 02 June 07 9:00 am

firstly i would install the current firmware from the garmin website and see if that helps.

secondly, bypass the dealer & Contact GME electrophone directly.
There after sales service (in my experience) has been excellent. Ive had a repair done at no cost out of warranty!

This is assuming this is a australian purchased one, not an ebay special

Coffee and Cache

Post by Coffee and Cache » 02 June 07 10:22 am

Udderchaos wrote:firstly i would install the current firmware from the garmin website and see if that helps.

secondly, bypass the dealer & Contact GME electrophone directly.
There after sales service (in my experience) has been excellent. Ive had a repair done at no cost out of warranty!

This is assuming this is a australian purchased one, not an ebay special
Thanks for that Udderchaos. I recently updated the firmware, but now it won't work for long enough to do that anyway. Good to know about GME, although I've arranged to go to the dealer this morning. <p>
Since it's happened twice, I just can't believe no one else has had this problem with such a popular unit.

Udderchaos

Post by Udderchaos » 02 June 07 10:36 am

my 60c did the similar and was repaired by garmin at no cost out of warranty

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 02 June 07 12:13 pm

And contact GME direct for the unlock for City Nav. They are pretty good with it - I got a new one very quickly after my old legend was lost (had to provide lots of paperwork, but not complaining!)

Coffee and Cache

Post by Coffee and Cache » 02 June 07 5:51 pm

Seems it has something to do with reading the SD card. Further tests at the dealer confirmed that it works without the SD card plugged in, but even with a new blank SD card, it flakes out a few seconds after turn on.<p>
It's now in the process of being returned to GME. Guess I'll just have to wait and see how long it takes.<p>
Many thanks for the replies.