Best price on Garmin Cables

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Mix
450 or more roots tripped over

Best price on Garmin Cables

Post by Mix » 08 April 04 11:20 am

I am in the process of going high tech and need cables,<br>
I rang my local Garmin dealer and asked for a price
<br><br>
Me “I need an Etrex to PC cableÂâ€

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Re: Best price on Garmin Cables

Post by riblit » 08 April 04 12:03 pm

Mix76 wrote: Wooo Hooo, Etrex to PC cable $15 US, Serial to USB $30 US
<br><br>

The point of all this..
<br><br>
Does anyone know of a cheaper price?
if not I will order these ones.
I usually don't press the business side here, but I have a USB to serial cable - the same as the one I use on my laptop with a Garmin GPS
Price $30.00 inc GST and shipping. I also have the mobile laptop power supplies 12VDc Accessory socket input to laptop at a range of output voltages at $75.00 inc GST

The Garmin cables are a bit of a worry because of the connection. There is a company called Pfranc that makes plugshttp://pfranc.com/cgi-bin/pub/c_au?pid=Pplug is the local guy

I almost forgot - the USB to Serial Adaptor supports Mac os V8.5 or higher as well as Win98/2000/XP

The Rats
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by The Rats » 08 April 04 3:38 pm

Mix,

After 2 1/2 years of caching I have recently gone to paperless caching and for approx' $100 - $120 I have all the cables, gizmos, buttons, bells & whistles to make it an easy transition.

The best place to do all your shopping is at Ebay. These prices are approx'
$80 Palm VX - comes with all cables and software
$25 serial cable for GPS downloads.

All I can say is: WHY THE HELL DID IT TAKE ME SO LONG TO CHANGE

vk7hch
1150 or more Caches found
1150 or more Caches found

Re: Best price on Garmin Cables

Post by vk7hch » 21 July 04 2:37 pm

riblit wrote:The Garmin cables are a bit of a worry because of the connection. There is a company called Pfranc that makes plugshttp://pfranc.com/cgi-bin/pub/c_au?pid=Pplug is the local guy
Grabbed an ePlug from this fellow, grabbed an old nokia mobile phone car charger from the junk box, followed the destructions at http://www.nomad.ee/micros/etrex.shtml and hey presto, one combi cable (power and data) for my eTrex for $12.20.
<br>
Original Garmin price $85, GME aftermarket $57
<br><br>
I just LOVE recycling!!

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 21 July 04 11:28 pm

My eTrex cable cost me nothing. Made it myself using a piece of flat plastic and some contacts extracted from a molex crimp connector. Easy if you can use a soldering iron etc.
I cut the plastic to just the right size and with the notch cut out so that it slides onto the eTrex and holds in place nicely on it's own.
Gives you a sense of satisfaction too knowing that your $$ isn't going to Garmin for a cable that costs them literally 10 cents to make :P

EcoDave :)

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 22 July 04 6:25 am

Made the 3 cables that I got and only cost about $10. made one for the pc to etrex, one for the pda to etrex and made 12v/data for the etrex to pda. Just make it Mix. I'm sure you have an old mouse cable around somewhere and a bit of plastic

Dooghan

Mix

Post by Mix » 22 July 04 10:09 am

good point, I'll go look!