GPS off EBAY

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
rong
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

GPS off EBAY

Post by rong » 27 May 07 8:24 am

Im looking at buying a new GARMIN GPSMAP 60CSX GPS MAP WAAS 60 CSX COMPASS the cheapest ones are imports from the states has any one done this are there any problems?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 27 May 07 10:09 am

THe import ones are meant to be ok (the basemap supplied on the Aus units is crap anyhow....)

Once you load Shonkymaps or t4a and the contour stuff etc on it you'll be laughing (see other threads in the forum for details on those things)

The issues you will encounter will be warranty repair issues, the local distributor may not cover problems with the unit.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 27 May 07 3:02 pm

I second what CraigRat said. The basemap's are next to useless anyway so that's not an issue.

One thing you should know, if you buy a US version the WAAS will not work in Australia. :twisted:

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 27 May 07 3:23 pm

Don't sweat it. You don't need WAAS anyways.

Sunshine Toledo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 27 May 07 7:31 pm

I bought a Garmin Vista Cx on Ebay and it came from Florida and I have had no trouble. The GPS is brilliant and I saved $100 or more and it arrived in about 4 days from when my Paypal money arrived in the US. I use the OZ maps; Shonky and Mapsource so have no problems.

Knot_gillty
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Knot_gillty » 27 May 07 8:06 pm

I bought my GPSmap 60CSx off ebay from an American supplier and have had nothing but good times. As others have stated, the base map is next to useless. I bought T4A PRO off ebay and its doing me fine. From what i have read i will be getting shonkymaps. Hope this helps and dont be put off.

muzza
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by muzza » 27 May 07 9:53 pm

I bought a Garmin GPSMAP60CSx from an ebay seller in the US about a month ago for $464 landed. Johnny Appleseed has it for $792 - over $300 more!

I have a 2GB card in it, with all the CityNavigator maps of Australia, plus all the Shonkylogic Detailed maps (without the contours), plus most of the Australian 10m contours.

I love the GPS and have had no problems by buying from the US.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 27 May 07 11:20 pm

I bought my etrex off ebay from a US seller. Absolutley no problems and much cheaper than buying here. Use ebay all the time,

The Rats
5000 or more caches found

Post by The Rats » 28 May 07 12:18 pm

Within the last week I've taken deleivery of my 76csx off ebay. A US seller and like Muzza I saved about $300. I bought a 1 gig card as well and havent looked back.<P>I dont know why its taken me this long to upgrade.

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 31 May 07 8:53 am

Considering what other companies are offering with their in-car GPSr units I really think it's about time Garmin started putting some decent Oz maps with their mapping units for free. I bought mine from the USA after spending a fair bit of time investigating how good the maps were and discovering the Oz base maps are crap. Of course the USA base map is brilliant but Shonkies walk all over the typical fair from Garmin when it comes to Australia.
Guess we are little Oz down under and Garmin don't care a crap. :x

WazzaAndWenches

Re: GPS off EBAY

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 31 May 07 10:38 pm

rong wrote:Im looking at buying a new GARMIN GPSMAP 60CSX GPS MAP WAAS 60 CSX COMPASS the cheapest ones are imports from the states has any one done this are there any problems?
My new gpsmap 60csx arrived a few weeks ago from US via ebay. All is great, although I don't like having to buy outside Australia. We need the business here, not sent overseas.

Forget the "waas" jargon. I haven't found a use for it yet.

I ordered the '60 and also a 1Gb chip. I bought CN7 from Johny Appleseed in Sydney. All works well together, and I am now linked to oziexplorer via my laptop for "on the go" info via GSAK.

Buy from a reputable dealer on eBay and always remember Caveat Emptor.

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Re: GPS off EBAY

Post by setsujoku » 31 May 07 10:44 pm

WazzaAndWenches wrote:
rong wrote:Im looking at buying a new GARMIN GPSMAP 60CSX GPS MAP WAAS 60 CSX COMPASS the cheapest ones are imports from the states has any one done this are there any problems?
My new gpsmap 60csx arrived a few weeks ago from US via ebay. All is great, although I don't like having to buy outside Australia. We need the business here, not sent overseas.

Forget the "waas" jargon. I haven't found a use for it yet.

I ordered the '60 and also a 1Gb chip. I bought CN7 from Johny Appleseed in Sydney. All works well together, and I am now linked to oziexplorer via my laptop for "on the go" info via GSAK.

Buy from a reputable dealer on eBay and always remember Caveat Emptor.
You wont find a use for WAAS here in australia

Rastas000
950 or more random things achieved
950 or more random things achieved

Post by Rastas000 » 01 June 07 7:07 am

Colleague off mine purchased overseas.... HAd a problem and cost a bundle getting repaired as the warrantee is not recognised in AU. by the importer as it is not one of their machines.

Took 7 weeks to send back to the US get repaired and returned to his hot little hand.

He said it was not worth the 100 dollar saving to get it OS.

But if it does not break down, it wont be a problem.