River Deep Mountain High - Game Thread

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Cached
2500 or more caches found

River Deep Mountain High - Game Thread

Post by Cached » 01 May 07 1:03 am

Hi All,

The game has commenced. Have made this a sticky for the duration.

Have fun!

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 01 May 07 2:48 am

Here is the link:

http://www.cachinggames.com/rdmh/requirements.php

...and good luck to all. :wink:

Crocless Waterholes

The Bronze.

Dosphoenix
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Dosphoenix » 01 May 07 3:16 pm

I've emailed an administrator but for everyone, this is my question.

If we aren't sure if something will meet the requirements, is it protocol to email first and check?

Or the administrators aren't going to advise in advance and we'll just have to take our chances?

The requirement I'm thinking of is the Locationless Cache one. Something to do with Earth, Fire, Water, Wind. Does one of those things have to be in the photo? In any event, its kind of open to interpretation.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 01 May 07 3:19 pm

Q: I assume only 1 requirement per find?
eg if a Cache qualifys for more that one I assume I can only log 1 req.

Dosphoenix

Post by Dosphoenix » 01 May 07 3:45 pm

mtrax wrote:Q: I assume only 1 requirement per find?
Yes, that's my understanding ... one requirement per cache.

I'm thinking about, what if we aren't sure if the cache meets the requirement, like the Locationless Cache one? Should we email first and check, or just take our chances?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 May 07 4:09 pm

Dosphoenix wrote:I've emailed an administrator but for everyone, this is my question.

If we aren't sure if something will meet the requirements, is it protocol to email first and check?

Or the administrators aren't going to advise in advance and we'll just have to take our chances?

The requirement I'm thinking of is the Locationless Cache one. Something to do with Earth, Fire, Water, Wind. Does one of those things have to be in the photo? In any event, its kind of open to interpretation.
If you think you're treading the fine line between understanding the spirit of the requirement and trying to be too clever and hope you'll get away with it, ask first.

If you log a locationless cache and have a lit match in the picture, you'd get a no. If you log a locationless cache and have a bucket of water in the picture, you'd get a no.

If you log Nude up for a Smiley while buck naked in a river, then yes. If you logged the Toppers Club (which is obviously related to a mountain) then yes.

The administrators are very reasonable people and we look for ways to say yes rather than no.

4: Geocaching Australia Locationless Cache - Find - 6 Points Outright
Log any Geocaching Australia Locationless cache which you can relate to the theme of the game to claim this requirement. A Geocaching Australia Locationless has a waypoint that starts with GA and is only found on Geocaching Australia. It might be a "Woop! We Found It" on top of a mountain. It could be a "Things of stone and wood". It could be a "Nude Up for a Smiley!" in a river. You could become a member of "The Toppers Club". You could claim "The Bonza Aussie Scavenger Hunt" or "Eye Spy". As long as the way you claim the locationless cache relates to Fire, Earth, Wind or Water, you will be good to go. You must abide by the requirements of the cache to claim this requirement. A 2nd find or additional find logged as a note against this cache can be claimed for this game if you have previously found that cache.

Proof of your claiming the locationless cache against the theme of the game should be provided in a photo attached to your log as most, if not all, locationless caches are only proven by the attached pictures.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 May 07 4:10 pm

mtrax wrote:Q: I assume only 1 requirement per find?
From the rules:
http://www.cachinggames.com/rdmh/rules.php

Each requirement must be claimed against a different cache. ie. You cannot claim more than one requirement per cache.

Dosphoenix

Post by Dosphoenix » 01 May 07 4:20 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Dosphoenix wrote:I've emailed an administrator but for everyone, this is my question.

If you think you're treading the fine line between understanding the spirit of the requirement and trying to be too clever and hope you'll get away with it, ask first.

If you log a locationless cache and have a lit match in the picture, you'd get a no. If you log a locationless cache and have a bucket of water in the picture, you'd get a no.

If you log Nude up for a Smiley while buck naked in a river, then yes. If you logged the Toppers Club (which is obviously related to a mountain) then yes.

The administrators are very reasonable people and we look for ways to say yes rather than no.

Log any Geocaching Australia Locationless cache which you can relate to the theme of the game to claim this requirement. A Geocaching Australia Locationless has a waypoint that starts with GA and is only found on Geocaching Australia. It might be a "Woop! We Found It" on top of a mountain. It could be a "Things of stone and wood". It could be a "Nude Up for a Smiley!" in a river. You could become a member of "The Toppers Club". You could claim "The Bonza Aussie Scavenger Hunt" or "Eye Spy". As long as the way you claim the locationless cache relates to Fire, Earth, Wind or Water, you will be good to go. You must abide by the requirements of the cache to claim this requirement. A 2nd find or additional find logged as a note against this cache can be claimed for this game if you have previously found that cache.

Proof of your claiming the locationless cache against the theme of the game should be provided in a photo attached to your log as most, if not all, locationless caches are only proven by the attached pictures.
Okay, thank you! I'm really not the cheeky type, so I think I'm safe :wink:

Derringer

Post by Derringer » 01 May 07 4:22 pm

For those that weren't in last years comp, here are 2 GSAK macros that sort caches suitable for the competition

1) Highest point count:

#*****************************
# Set Usort field to typical points
# A Zytheran Macro for the Fleet to Federation Competition
# You will need to make the Usort field visible in (V)iew/(A)dd-Delete columns

MacroFlag Type=Clear Range=All
$ThisRecord = 0
Goto Position=Top
While not($_Eol)
$ThisRecord = $ThisRecord + 1
$status = "Now processing: " + "$ThisRecord" + " of " + "$_Count"
ShowStatus msg="$status"
# Calculated points might be wrong under certain categories!
$points = 1 + ($d_Difficulty * $d_Terrain)
$d_UserSort= $points

# Filter out caches a long way away
# Change 200 (km) below to any distance you want
If $d_Distance < 200
$d_MacroFlag = True
EndIf
GoTo Position=Next
EndWhile
Mfilter if=$d_MacroFlag
# Now sort the data
Sort by="Usersort" sequence=D

and 2 - Sort for caches equal to 7.5 in rating

# Set filter on caches that have a combined dif/ter that total 7.5

MacroFlag Type=Clear Range=All
$ThisRecord = 0
Goto Position=Top
While not($_Eol)
$ThisRecord = $ThisRecord + 1
$status = "Now processing: " + "$ThisRecord" + " of " + "$_Count"
ShowStatus msg="$status"
$total = $d_Difficulty + $d_Terrain
# Change 7.5 below to any number you wish to have as the total
If $total = 7.5
$d_MacroFlag = True
EndIf
GoTo Position=Next
EndWhile
Mfilter if=$d_MacroFlag

These macros make life a little easier when planning your caches,
Credit to Zytheran for macro 1,
Not sure who created macro 2

Kevin

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 01 May 07 5:43 pm

ahh good, i was just about to go back and find the info on those macros. great timing

Am i the first to log a requirement for the new game?

Team_KiloSierra
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team_KiloSierra » 01 May 07 6:22 pm

I've been stuck at work so unfortuantely. can't go out and tick off any requirements.

But I have been going through my GSAK database, and assigning caches to requirements in preparation :)

diesel69
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by diesel69 » 01 May 07 8:18 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
From the rules:

Each requirement must be claimed against a different cache. ie. You cannot claim more than one requirement per cache.
Discrimination I say :D :twisted: , for those of us who have less than 2 unfound caches within 100kms from we should get bonus points for every cache we have to travell for :D :twisted:
Doesn't really matter I guess, probably won't get enough caches to be worthwhile. :P

Derringer

Post by Derringer » 01 May 07 8:34 pm

Discrimination I say icon_biggrin.gif icon_twisted.gif , for those of us who have less than 2 unfound caches within 100kms from we should get bonus points for every cache we have to travell for icon_biggrin.gif icon_twisted.gif
aah - The plight of the country cacher,

Like other country cachers I too have to travel at least 60kms for any unfound caches,

But - think of our poor city cousins - this comp has a decidedly country feel in the requirements - they may have to travel much further to pick up high value caches :D :D :D :D [/quote]

Kevin

diesel69
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by diesel69 » 01 May 07 8:45 pm

Derringer wrote:But - think of our poor city cousins - this comp has a decidedly country feel in the requirements - they may have to travel much further to pick up high value caches :D :D :D :D
Kevin
Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane all have mountains in easy reach, Perth has the glorius Swan river and Melborne well lets not go there :lol:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 May 07 9:23 pm

diesel69 wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
From the rules:

Discrimination I say :D :twisted: , for those of us who have less than 2 unfound caches within 100kms from we should get bonus points for every cache we have to travell for :D :twisted:
Doesn't really matter I guess, probably won't get enough caches to be worthwhile. :P
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc121c3
That one should get you something decent.

29: Take a Drive in the Country - Find - 2 Points + (Difficulty * Terrain)
That will annoy the urban cachers :twisted:

Surely you could nude up for a smiley SOMEWHERE that relates to the game theme.

24: Earth Cache - Find or Hide - 6 Points Outright
Woohoo! Is there nothing around your area that could be worthwhile?

Me thinks you protest too much :D

(All said with in a joking manner).

Don't forget that there are prizes for being weasel cunning and being able to stay in some ladder spots, so you're not necessarily up for every single requirement to be in the running.

If you check the rules, this is also in there:
There will initially be 30 requirements released. Over the course of the game, there will be additional requirements released. Points will vary for the additional requirements. The timeframe that the additional requirements are available will vary. Some may be available for one day. Some may be available for a weekend. Some may be available for an entire week. Please check back often to see whether there are an additional requirements released. Plan your strategy accordingly.

So you may end up gaining some points after all. You never quite know what might pop it's head up.
Last edited by caughtatwork on 01 May 07 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.