What do I need - Palm M515

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found

What do I need - Palm M515

Post by Team Pathfinder » 26 March 04 10:18 am

Hi all,

My husband has a Palm M515 which is used for his work but has said that I can try it out for Geocaching. :twisted:

Help needed - what program do I need to operate it? I have gone over and over the forums and although I have found several mentioned but not sure which way to go. I am a novice when it comes to Palms :lol:

Just incase you need to know this - his palm doesnt appear to have anything in it other than an organizer - (not sure whether this is normal as the only other palm I have seen close up belong the the mail courier!!!!

Sue

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 26 March 04 12:44 pm

Hi Sue
first thing, do you have the cable to sync with?
and have you got palm desktop installed on your pc?
Desk top can be found HERE

Team Pathfinder

Post by Team Pathfinder » 26 March 04 12:50 pm

Hi Andrew,

Yes have the cable the desktop software CD. I will now go and install it - something I probably should have done sooner :)

baseline benny

Post by baseline benny » 26 March 04 2:57 pm

As the proud new owner of a Palm T3, I would like to know as well, just what to use. From what I've picked up, I would be looking at some combination of the following:
iSilo,
GSAK,
Plucker,
Spinner.

I already use GSAK and find it great.

... off to investigate further....
Ben.

The Ginger Loon
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by The Ginger Loon » 26 March 04 3:48 pm

All you really need is;

GSAK (on your PC)
A Web Browser (I use IE6)
iSiloX (on your PC)
Palm HotSync Manager (on your PC)
iSilo (on your Palm)

iSilo & iSiloX cost about AUD$45 to register (both) but it is well worth it.

Gunn Parker

Post by Gunn Parker » 26 March 04 3:52 pm

I use GSAK
and Plucker
with gsak Sue you can create a html file of all caches and then use plucker to covert that html into a file that plucker on your palm can read.
you then have all the info for all caches on your palm.

Team Pathfinder

Post by Team Pathfinder » 26 March 04 5:18 pm

Thanks Guys

I mucked around for a few minutes (read hours) :wink: this morning and downloaded some files - now I am pleased to see that they are the same ones you suggest!

I was having trouble getting them into the Palm and decided to stop as I should have been doing the cyclone clean-up. I will go back to them later. If the cyclone tracks this way anymore I can see that yet again it will be a weekend confined to quarters so we should plenty of time to sort things out.

Next Question: Why is it that cyclones only ever affect Karratha on weekends???? :roll:

Sue

Team Pathfinder

Post by Team Pathfinder » 27 March 04 10:13 pm

OK - so far so good!! I have managed to get all of the Pocket Quiery caches downloaded to the Palm BUT one slight problem. They are so difficult to read because they show with all of the HTML tags attached. Would I be right in assuming that I needed to download IE6 to the palm to be successful in reading?

hardunits
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by hardunits » 28 March 04 9:13 am

For this kind of thing I really think getting a premium membership and downloading the mobibook files as the easiest and what I found to be the best solutuion.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 28 March 04 9:31 am

hardunits wrote:For this kind of thing I really think getting a premium membership and downloading the mobibook files as the easiest and what I found to be the best solutuion.
Thats what I was doing, but mobibook doesn't give you that much functionality, the better option IMHO is to get either plucker or Isilo or something similar that utilises the export HTML function of GSAK. That way you can generate as many custom documents for your PDA as you require. I normally have a "caches to do list", "my caches", and I am starting to put together a "work in Progress list" utilising the user notes function of GSAK. Also I have on the PDA a memo file that I use "in the feild" to make notes. Also I do one other thing that has helped in the past. For those caches that have you bouncing between screens working out formulas and such or comparing data, I take a papercopy. It just comes in handy at times to be able to look at your notes against a page that is more that 3 inches square.

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 28 March 04 9:36 am

Team Pathfinder wrote:OK - so far so good!! I have managed to get all of the Pocket Quiery caches downloaded to the Palm BUT one slight problem. They are so difficult to read because they show with all of the HTML tags attached. Would I be right in assuming that I needed to download IE6 to the palm to be successful in reading?
Have you uploaded the required driver to your PDA? I can't remeber with Plucker but with Isilo you need to download two programmes to use it. The first one is the desktop bit that allows you to generate the files and the second programme you crossdeck to the PDA. This second programme for Isilo is the part that you purchase. You can download a trial copy but it has limited functions.

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 28 March 04 10:26 am

Plucker also requires two programs - the parser/conduit on the computer, and a reader on the PDA. Both come in a single package, available from http://www.plkr.org. I found it to be more useful and user-friendly than iSilo or the Mobibook, but you may find otherwise.

Gunn Parker

Post by Gunn Parker » 28 March 04 11:28 am

Hi Sue, The link I gave you for plucker will give you the desktop set and the palm reader that you need,
set up your gpx file from gc.com, then load that into GSAK, then use the filter to sort which caches you want, EG; "not found" by Team; Pathfinder,
then generate the html, then use the plucker desktop to set up a channel that points to the html file you set with GSAK.
once you have updated that channel and installed the plucker reader to you palm, do a sync and all of the "not found" caches should go to your palm then you will be able to read them on the road.

hope this helps

Mariner
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by Mariner » 04 May 04 12:17 pm

You might also like to try cachemate, it's like Spinner and Plucker in one. Just convert your GPX file using cmconmvert, then hotsync it. It's so simple that even I can do it.

http://www.smittyware.com/palm/cachemate/

Two Goth Geeks
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: TwoGothGeeks

Post by Two Goth Geeks » 15 May 04 10:38 pm

As for a free one, I use

GeoClipping

It just copies the Geocaching.com page into a memopad page in Palm Desktop.

You can use Hint Decoder to decode the encrypted hints from the website in your palm.