On the topic of Geowives....

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
MrsMix

On the topic of Geowives....

Post by MrsMix » 05 April 07 9:03 am

While speaking jokingly on the topic of Geowives on the other thread, it got me thinking whether I am alone :) Are there any other Geowives that explore GCA as it is their family hobby but don't really get into Geocaching themselves?

The biggest issue for me is that I wait in the car the majority of the time. I either have one child asleep or the cache may just be too much of an effort to take 2 kids out and a jogger pram. My other issue is that I tend to appreciate the 'view' more than the actual find. I like caches where I have been taken somewhere new and not just the drain behind someone's house iykwim? :lol: One gorgeous cache site sticks out in my mind in particular.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... ID=7527068

My other Geocaching highlight would be finding 1 cache in our 3.5 years Geocaching before Mix found it, lol....

On another note, we've just recently purchased Walkie Talkies. This has helped pass the time while sitting in the car with the kids. Prior to that we had a car horn system. One beep for "you are taking your time", two beeps for "someone has come up around the car and is freaking me out" and three beeps for "Run, come right now." :lol: So far we've only used the car horn one once for one beep. That was when Mix was taking his time. Little did I know he had tried to jump a small stream and had fallen in quicksand!

Any other Geowives with any interesting or mundane stories?

Cheers
MrsMix
:)

MrsMix

Post by MrsMix » 05 April 07 9:06 am

Sorry, I've broken the thread. How do you make a URL short on here by making it say the word "Link"?

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 05 April 07 10:36 am

MrsMix wrote:Sorry, I've broken the thread. How do you make a URL short on here by making it say the word "Link"?
Like this?
Link or this <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... 8">Link</a>

MrsMix

Post by MrsMix » 05 April 07 11:57 am

Thanks Riblit! Yes that is what I mean but both of your "Link" words look the same when I click on them. Is that right? What is the difference between them? Feel free to shrink down my URL in my original post :)

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 05 April 07 12:18 pm

MrsMix wrote:Thanks Riblit! Yes that is what I mean but both of your "Link" words look the same when I click on them. Is that right? What is the difference between them? Feel free to shrink down my URL in my original post :)
They are both the link from your original post. One was made with html and the other with bb code. If you click on "quote" in my original message you can see how they are done.<p>

The first one is bbcode and the second html.<br />
If you run your cursor over the buttons at the top of the message editor you will get context sensitive help.</p>
Last edited by riblit on 05 April 07 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 05 April 07 2:49 pm

Syntax is as follows [ url=httplink ] Label or name [ / url ]

just remove the spacer to enable the code

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 05 April 07 5:56 pm

As the chief Navigator for TRD, most of what I do involves sitting on my butt while he goes ditchin' through the bushes,unless we are driving to a cache- then I get to play with the GPS :D. <br>
<br>
I do all the manual labour- he does all the hard work :)<br>
<br>
Mind you, there are caches I've hunted for, as I've taken the geosquid for a cache...I love puzzle caches, so I'm usually the one who works them out- then gives him the co-ords!<br>
<br>
Now that we have a laptop though- caching is going to be different...and we've had walkie talkies from early in our caching career, we visited some pretty interesting (and terrifying) places at 2am...like Fremantle Cemetery- I HAD to have constant contact to him- it helps with cachenotes too- I'll relay them to him, rather than him have to carry everything with him- it makes me feel useful :) And it adds a bit of a fun element to it. <br>
<br>
I'm the 'preparer'- I make sure that we're ready and loaded for caching :)
I like it that way :)<br>

MrsMix

Post by MrsMix » 05 April 07 6:13 pm

Thanks for that guys :D

Nice to find another Geowife TRD! :D Great to hear your experiences. I haven't played with the GPS much at all. I know how to use it if prompted though. Mind you, one night it was on dusk and I had the GPS while Mix was driving. After about 10 mins of struggling to read the screen I start whinging and complaining about how they should 'put lights on these things'. Yep, Mix leaned over and pressed a button :lol: :oops:

Great news about having a laptop now. My advice... stick a towel or something on your lap because those things get mighty hot on bare knees, lol... We utilised ours on our 8 hr drive to QLD last year. While it was fun following on to what Mix had set up, it did all get a bit heavy and hot after a while.

I have to admit that I am a 'good' Geowife though. I do have my own GC Logo T-Shirt. I might only wear it to Events but I do look the part :wink: lol

wombles
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by wombles » 05 April 07 6:14 pm

I have the opposite problem here, I'm the female and have to coerce the rest of the family (hubby and 4 kids) that someone must come caching with me! (Hubby's not very impressed by the idea of me going alone, though I'd probably prefer that compared to the whining (from hubby lol)
I have organised a day in Brissie this weekend and when I told them we were going out, 2 of them complained about "how many geocaches will we have to do" :roll:

MrsMix

Post by MrsMix » 05 April 07 6:18 pm

lol :lol:

THENANKS
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by THENANKS » 06 April 07 6:55 pm

Hi all geowives!!!! :D Its Mrs NANKS here. All of THENANKS are very keen on geocaching but it isn't always that we go out as a team of 4. We do keep it as a family hobby as often as we can but sometimes situations call for different combinations. 8) Take today, (Good Friday), Mr NANKS had to work, so the geoboys and I went out, visited a friend and dragged her and her 5 yr old daughter along for a cache hunt. They loved it. :P If an FTF comes up late at night when the boys are in bed then Mr NANKS will go solo. :shock: In PJ's :shock: A couple of weeks ago the boys were out at cricket and 4 newies were listed so I threw my bike in the car and went and grabbed the FTFs alone. :D As for puzzles, I work them out! He hasn't the patience or the will power. AND BIG hill climbs, Mr NANKS goes them alone (with other mad cachers, but NOT me), He has the stamina and the drive! :? THENANKS - The brains and the brawn?????? :wink:

wombles
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by wombles » 06 April 07 7:31 pm

It took me ages to figure out my GPS had a light too :oops:

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 07 April 07 2:31 am

MrsMix wrote:Great news about having a laptop now. My advice... stick a towel or something on your lap because those things get mighty hot on bare knees, lol...
<br/><br/>
Not to hijack your thread, but I wanted to pop in with a solution that has been independently discovered by a number of laptop owners: polyethylene cutting boards. You can get some nice ones with handles on the sides, and around the size of the laptop. They have the added advantage of the insulating properties of the poly, without heating you up like a towel would :)
<br/><br/>
a pic from Amazon just to help explain:<br/>

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 07 April 07 3:34 am

Stable tables (with the bean bag base) also work pretty well for keeping hot laptops off your lap.

Spruce Mooses
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Spruce Mooses » 07 April 07 8:30 am

I find that I'm the more cache nuts one of of us two. A will usually come along when I bug him. If it's a late night FTF then I'm the one racing out the door leaving him watching TV.
I will however leave him to do the hard ones if I can't be bothered. Anything with a big hill or a climb up a tree kinda cache is a can't be bothered. I think Ms Sassi came up with the best name for her geopartner - Fetch! :D :D

I'm also the placer of caches. I find that while A comes up with lots of great ideas, it takes a long long long time for him to get moving on them.

LOVE the chopping board idea under the laptop, going to have to use that one next time :) Thanks Fehrgo