OT: Parenting

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Bronze

OT: Parenting

Post by Bronze » 02 March 07 5:27 am

*Prepares to let off steam* [commence rant]

Parenting. Yes I know it's hard.

I just deleted a thread I started in "Buy and Sell" titled Free to a good home.

Let me share a little story that will probably one day join all those other family campfire stories. you know the ones that start off, "When you were just kids..."

Yesterday afternoon I thought, hey I'm supposed to be at Karate Gradings but I've had a huge day so I'll stay home and mow the lawns. We have finally had some reasonable rain and I want to tidy the place up a bit.

I ask my two cache finders (age 8 and 9) to join me outside and pick up the paper, plastic, toys and other bits and pieces that find their way out of the house and garage.

I start mowing the front yard with vision of doing the back yard by the time the boys have finished. I gave them a plastic bag each and away they went. Fifteen minutes later they return to the front yard and I ask over the mower have you cleaned up down the side and behind the house. 'Yes' they reply. 'Good' I yell over the mower and told them to double check because I'm coming with the mower.

I round the corner of the house and find a mountain of crap. Mostly plastic fire trucks, Hot wheels cars, faded Tonka toys, old shoes and bits of old lawn sprinkler. Not to forget the two plastic bags I gave them. Neither had picked up a single item. They were to busy playing on the trampoline and had drop the bags beside the

Anyhow after I ran over it all with the lawnmower, (those Tonka toys are tough hey) I was faced with two very emotional 7 and 8 year olds. They were sent to bed by their mum before I strangled one as I was starting to twitch and turn purple in rage.

After I calmed a little I explained to both of them that they will be woken an hour before normal (5.30) and they will be both tidying up the back yard and side of the house now that I have mowed over their crap. It is now 5.16am. Almost 12 hours after the fact. They have 14 more minutes to enjoy their slumber.

[/end of rant]

Am I being unreasonable?

Last thing - On the topic is parenting. I subscribe to this newsletter by Michael Grose http://www.parentingideas.com.au/
It's very informative and has some excellent resources. I have heard him speak and I look forward to going to more of his seminars.

Ok, Must go and wake the little men.
Now how to fit the mower into their bedrooms.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 02 March 07 7:06 am

Yes, you are unreasonable!!

Doing such a thing will BLUNT THE BLADES on the lawnmower

Won't SOMEBODY think of the lawnmowers!

:twisted:

Oh, and I would say it'll be safe to assume that next time you ask, they'll probably pick up their stuff! I'm no expert on parenting, but sometimes actions speak louder than words... I probably would have done the same...

Team Rubik

Post by Team Rubik » 02 March 07 7:23 am

What's the update? Did they pick it all up? Or do you have to go back and run over the trampoline?<br>
<br>
Here's a thought - next time make THEM mow the lawns and run over all their favourite toys! Leaves more time for karate gradings.

Detourism
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Detourism » 02 March 07 8:00 am

Definitely not unreasonable Bronze....

My 2 girls (6 and 9) have experienced a similar fate when it comes to cleaning out the back seat of the car. They were given their chance to clean it before I moved in with the wheelie bin and proceeded to throw out everything they left behind.

One of the most important things anyone can teach their kids is that they are responsible for their own actions (or lack of) and that those actions will have consequences (good and bad)!

Lecture over... :D

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 02 March 07 8:07 am

Better.

They both got up and were walking around in the wee hours for a while. It was to dark for them to do a good job so I got them to come in have breakfast and they went out at dawn and had a better go.

Now I just have to mow under the Trampoline and we're right.

Next time I'm certain the outcome will be more to my agreement.

B.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 02 March 07 8:23 am

You call that grass :shock: :roll:

At least in your case they didn't throw the $350 car key and remote out onto the lawn only to have the mower reduce it to silicon in seconds :cry: :wink:

Aren't kids fun though, and no matter how bad they could be, you can still love them 5 seconds later. :P

Thanks for the link. :D

mm

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 02 March 07 8:42 am

Map Monkey wrote:You call that grass :shock: :roll:
That's what you get when you mulch with Tonka toys :lol:

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 02 March 07 9:15 am

Um, Bronze? You left behind some messy magpies - who is going to clean them up? :shock:

I wonder if you've left the kids emotionally scarred for life? I bet you'll be going into a nursing home when they grow up :lol:

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 02 March 07 9:21 am

I would say you have exceptional parenting skills.

I was particuarly enthused by the glass table and tin fence next to the trampoline to help break their fall if they happen to get off course....exceptional :D

Sunshine Toledo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 02 March 07 9:21 am

It really just depends on whether you want to say things 20 times before anything is done or you prefer to say things just once and it is done. When you have solved that problem; re-inforce that decision by taking action to achieve it. (parent of 2 grown up and married children)

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 02 March 07 9:22 am

Bronze wrote:Image

Better.

They both got up and were walking around in the wee hours for a while. It was to dark for them to do a good job so I got them to come in have breakfast and they went out at dawn and had a better go.

Now I just have to mow under the Trampoline and we're right.

Next time I'm certain the outcome will be more to my agreement.

B.
Now we all know how you fill your time Bronze ! you little green thumb :shock: :lol: thumbs up

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 02 March 07 9:27 am

So what happened to sitting down and having a nice cup of tea? :D

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 02 March 07 9:31 am

Bunya wrote:So what happened to sitting down and having a nice cup of tea? :D
Way to much tea by looks :!: Had to sell the Victa to pay for the tea habit :cry: hope the tea pot collection is not next :shock:

imanoone2u

Post by imanoone2u » 02 March 07 11:04 am

Horus wrote:
Map Monkey wrote:You call that grass :shock: :roll:
That's what you get when you mulch with Tonka toys :lol:
I'm sorry Bronze but I think you were a bully! the kiddles only wanted to help you... don't you know that moisture gets trapped under the plastic of Tonka toys and in return keeps the grasses growing underneath??!! tsk tsk Tsk

So YOU are killing the grass.. and the kiddles were trying to keep it alive to play on... and maybe even hide a few caches in.... :D :lol:

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 02 March 07 1:40 pm

Hey, I got the greenest lawn in Dubbo.

Sneak out the back to let the tea be free.

Seriously. I think they learn their lesson.