Caching in Blackberries and other crappy areas!

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Caching in Blackberries and other crappy areas!

Post by Mr Router » 16 February 07 7:03 pm

Why do some cachers place caches in areas that have great views and the like and generally really great spots , but place the cache in bloody blackberries or something just as nasty, or under bushes where you find more rubbish than you can poke a stick at?? This usually ruins the hunt for us!
We all should try and hide them in spots that are at least clean and not going to rip you to pieces and make the caching fun for all.
There's no worse a way to remember a cache than to pick thorns out of yourself for the next couple of days!
This thread is not meant to offend ! but simply to think of cache placement when next you hide!
My 20 cents worth !Now you all can take me apart :wink:

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 16 February 07 7:27 pm

And so begins Mr Routers Tassie Caching Trip... you'll love the southern end of the state then... :lol:

I have one that is near a thorny bush, but I like to try to avoid hurting my fellow cachers in most instances :wink:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 16 February 07 7:55 pm

'cos some people think it's funny to make a cache a pain in the donkey-horse for others.

Ditto for people who hide a haystack regardless of whether they declare it or not. They think it's funny :roll: :roll:

It's takes all people to make geocaching so we all roll with the punches I suppose.

In the future "ratings" functionality being introduced to GCA will mean you can leave a rating of 1 or 2 indicating your experience was less than stellar.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 16 February 07 10:04 pm

Blackberries have a habit of appearing after the fact! And rubbish - that does too.

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 16 February 07 11:20 pm

It is very unfortunate, do as I have done in the past, roll your eyes and move on to the next cache. . . unless you are a numbers cacher of course, then you ARE going to get scratched :shock:

vk7hch
1150 or more Caches found
1150 or more Caches found

Re: Caching in Blackberries and other crappy areas!

Post by vk7hch » 16 February 07 11:32 pm

Mr Router wrote:Why do some cachers place caches in areas that have great views and the like and generally really great spots , but place the cache in bloody blackberries or something just as nasty
<br>
Tas Caching Guidelines v3.45 isn't it Swampy? :lol:

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 17 February 07 4:10 am

Horus wrote:It is very unfortunate, do as I have done in the past, roll your eyes and move on to the next cache. . . unless you are a numbers cacher of course, then you ARE going to get scratched :shock:
numbers or not we still dont like the red infected areas that the prickles cause! we use caching to see someone else's area, so would prefer not to get harmed in the adventure! or have to wade through poo paper and other crap . DONT get me wrong not all caches are like this ! But you remember the ones that are! for all the wrong reasons :(

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 17 February 07 8:33 am

If you don't see this attribute, Image, you are guaranteed that you will not get scratched. :P

mm

Swampy
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Re: Caching in Blackberries and other crappy areas!

Post by Swampy » 17 February 07 9:11 am

orac7000 wrote:Tas Caching Guidelines v3.45 isn't it Swampy? :lol:
Dunno - I'm not the version keeper. Mrs Pig and Snuva seem to be.

As for the cache I think it may have been grewar's Southernmost. And maybe Quilter was the last to mention it publicly.

No, I'm wrong. You were (see, I quoted it)! :twisted: :twisted:

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 17 February 07 3:50 pm

And then the are those bushes by the side of urban park footpaths, where every second dog owner out for walkies, pauses for a moment. :roll:

stickler
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by stickler » 17 February 07 9:34 pm

There is one thing I cannot stand are those caches (that are just for the numbers?) which are pointless, full of crap, take you no where special and are in high traffic areas except between 1am and 2am; let alone those that are planted in catus gardens, public gardens and just plain thorn bushes.
Last edited by stickler on 18 February 07 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

andiamo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by andiamo » 18 February 07 11:18 am

We have gone to cache sites and elected not to bother searching because there was absolutely nothing endearing about the area, some even looking like rubbish dumps. We do not like rummaging through rubbish just so that we can claim a find and we just leave.

We have also seen, where you may have a choice between a prickly patch or a clean area to search, some people just can't help looking in the prickly patch first - go figure!

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 18 February 07 4:02 pm

andiamo wrote:We have gone to cache sites and elected not to bother searching because there was absolutely nothing endearing about the area, some even looking like rubbish dumps. We do not like rummaging through rubbish just so that we can claim a find and we just leave.

We have also seen, where you may have a choice between a prickly patch or a clean area to search, some people just can't help looking in the prickly patch first - go figure!
Double Ditto!

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 18 February 07 4:43 pm

Seems to remember following the arrow that must be followed to a Brisbane cache at around 2.30 am one October morning last year. Down and up through a gully, with all sorts of thorny grabby plants in the vicinity. Off Track was the cache, and worst of all, we didnt find it.

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 18 February 07 6:37 pm

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:with all sorts of thorny grabby plants in the vicinity. Off Track was the cache, and worst of all, we didnt find it.
We have most recent had this problem several times, when you do go through with it for a DNF, most frustrating! even more when you can see more than one better spot within mere meters.