HP Ipaq 3600 series - need AC power cord, car adaptor and

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Dosphoenix
400 or more spectacular views seen

HP Ipaq 3600 series - need AC power cord, car adaptor and

Post by Dosphoenix » 12 January 07 6:17 pm

a new battery.

I recently acquired the above pocket pc (which I am still so stoked about) however it hadn't been used in a while and the power cords were missing. I was advised Dick Smith would have a power cord with adjustable watts and amps because this needs 2amp power. However, we have been to all the electronic stores and they don't have any that provide the necessary watts and 2 amps.

We have called HP, but they are useless and expensive, plus this model is going on 6 or 7 years old now so ...

I looked on ebay and can find only a car adaptor (which I do need but the other stuff is more important).

So I was hoping I could pick your collective minds about how to find these cords? Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong spot?

Thanks in advance.

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 12 January 07 10:14 pm

What is the voltage rating needed? Is it 5V 2A? If so, the hardest part will be finding a compatible power jack. The PSP and Explorist 500 (maybe other Explorists too) run off 5V 2A, so their power supplies will work for you if you can track them down, as long as you can track down the right plug to solder on to the cord. Other devices using 5V 2A include many external PC networking gear (Linksys, DLink, etc). I picked up many of these power supplies to power all my north american gear as a result.

Hopefully it doesn't use that proprietary 22 pin connector...

Eric

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 12 January 07 10:27 pm

Here is one option:
<br/>
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Used-Compaq-iPAQ ... tem">H3600 on ebay</a>
<br/>
and the other:
<br/>
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COMPAQ-iPAQ-H380 ... m">Battery on ebay</a>
<br/>
I'm not sure how much you want to spend to get it working though :)

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 12 January 07 11:40 pm

Rather than trying to find an ac adaptor to suit, get the car charger in conjunction with a 240v-12v adaptor with a "cigarette lighter" socket.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 13 January 07 12:18 am

Damo. wrote:Rather than trying to find an ac adaptor to suit, get the car charger in conjunction with a 240v-12v adaptor with a "cigarette lighter" socket.
An inverter 8)

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 13 January 07 1:04 am

Something like this (though preferably for an AU style socket).
AC to DC Converter
Your inverter costs 10 times as much, Mr Router! And goes the wrong way! 8)

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 13 January 07 3:03 am

zactyl wrote:Something like this (though preferably for an AU style socket).
AC to DC Converter
The one we use in the car was$35 @ computer fair, runs laptop,pda and charges the phone! Now that isn't to expensive :wink:And hp should have an original power supply, shouldn't they :?:

embi

Post by embi » 13 January 07 6:58 am

Sounds very similar to the problem I had...I have got the same series unit.

I found on ebay a usb data power cord and i just use that for charging. $25 I think it was

vk7hch
1150 or more Caches found
1150 or more Caches found

Post by vk7hch » 13 January 07 9:48 am

fehrgo wrote:What is the voltage rating needed? Is it 5V 2A? If so, the hardest part will be finding a compatible power jack. The PSP and Explorist 500 (maybe other Explorists too) run off 5V 2A,
Eric
The PSP power supply is the correct rating (5V 2A), and the plug is a perfect fit, I was using one to charge my 3630 until I sold the PDA.

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 13 January 07 9:54 am

Another option before buying a cord for a completely different unit is to go to Battery world if you have one in your area. They are usually very good with spare cords and adapters.

Dosphoenix

Post by Dosphoenix » 13 January 07 2:26 pm

Thank you so much everyone! I wasn't expecting such comprehensive replies. Oh and it just shows how much I know, I meant volts when I said watts ... same thing :wink:

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 13 January 07 7:05 pm

Mr Router wrote:
zactyl wrote:Something like this (though preferably for an AU style socket).
AC to DC Converter
The one we use in the car was$35 @ computer fair, runs laptop,pda and charges the phone! Now that isn't to expensive :wink:And hp should have an original power supply, shouldn't they :?:
Your basic inverter wouldn't be able to sustain 2amps. Plus if you have a car charger you don't need an inverter. And with the inverter you still need to get the original power supply, if HP original is the only option you may as well buy an new PDA!
What I suggested and zactyl posted a link to plus a car charger would likely be cheaper than a replacement ac supply. Alternatively, the USB charger option sounds good.

Dosphoenix

Post by Dosphoenix » 14 January 07 1:00 am

Okay, now I'm confused. I spent all day confusing sales people at Harvey Norman too.

I now have a new battery (thanks to the wonderful Tom from Battery World at Macgregor .. big plug there, he was really nice and helpful).

Then, thanks to you guys, I've put it in its cradle and plugged the cradle into the power socket using a PSP power cord. That's as far as I've got.

I'm guessing I need the car charger then as long as it fits the base unit. The PSP charger doesn't fit directly into the base, the socket is at right angles and doesn't connect fully.

The PSP car charger has the same problem. Its the right socket, ie a male socket, but it doesn't go in far enough to the Ipaq.

So I'm half way there!

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 14 January 07 9:18 am

So you need a regulated 5V power supply that can supply 2A and a plug for the IPAQ.
http://www.gomadic.com/ipconplug31s.html has plugs, or pre wired http://www.gomadic.com/comip9leadpr.html

For the cradle you need a plug that fits into the socket. Have a look at some of the power supplies that come with a selection of tips.

Don't ask the shop staff for a IPAQ power supply, you'll only confuse them.