I See TB Tags have changed

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found

I See TB Tags have changed

Post by Webguy » 15 November 06 1:34 pm

I just received a TB from the states in the post, and noticed that they have changed the TB tags a bit.

Slightly different shape.
Alphanumerical codes now, not just numerical
Different design slightly on the front and back
Different feel to the metal.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 15 November 06 2:33 pm

Was it cheaper than buying them locally?

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 15 November 06 3:09 pm

Sorry, I did not explain that very well, I received a TB from a cacher in the states, as in I did not buy one but an actual movable TB complete with object attached etc and I am helping it start it's Aussie adventures.

Team Falling Numerals

Post by Team Falling Numerals » 15 November 06 4:45 pm

Team Piggy wrote:Was it cheaper than buying them locally?
I just picked up 4 from Canada and yes it was much cheaper than buying locally unfortunately. I was able to purchase the tags and pay for freight for less than the four tags only would cost.

I purchased from Landsharkz

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 15 November 06 4:49 pm

Team Falling Numerals wrote:
Team Piggy wrote:Was it cheaper than buying them locally?
I just picked up 4 from Canada and yes it was much cheaper than buying locally unfortunately. I was able to purchase the tags and pay for freight for less than the four tags only would cost.

I purchased from Landsharkz
How can this be? very sad :cry:

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 15 November 06 11:41 pm

Anyone that runs a business, imports and holds countless $$$ of stock will have the answer for that one.

I was surprised it was cheaper, but running a business I understand overheads.

I came to $35 thru Landsharkz / $38 thru Aust geoshop.

Considering Sphere has imported, paid duty/taxes and holds bulk stock in Aust for Australian geocachers I think thats an excellent price.

I remember when we imported some of the first bugs in bulk into SA/Aust years ago, I can tell you it was a damn expensive exercise. At least 40% more than the above figures.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 16 November 06 7:25 am

It's scarey to know you can get geocoins for around the same price, if not cheaper in some cases........what is so expensive about throwing some ink on a thin piece of metal Image

mm

Team Falling Numerals

Post by Team Falling Numerals » 16 November 06 9:44 am

Team Piggy wrote: I came to $35 thru Landsharkz / $38 thru Aust geoshop.

Considering Sphere has imported, paid duty/taxes and holds bulk stock in Aust for Australian geocachers I think thats an excellent price.
Yes my costs were about the same.

The costs of freight was a significant difference - the postage and handling from Sydney to FNQ was far more than the same from Cananda to FNQ (presumably via Sydney or Brisbane anyway :shock: ).

While I am an advocate for Australian small business (I am a small business consultant after all) my view is compete or die. Competition need not be on price alone. Better customer service is another way to compete and still the Canadian supplier has a significant advantage.

However back OT...

yes my nice shiney new TB tags are different - I have not looked at the chain attached too closely but I belive that it will be of similar poor quality as the original bugs.

ozzie-jeeper
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by ozzie-jeeper » 16 November 06 11:22 am

I recently purchased some geo-stuff thru Sphere, and thought the prices were reasonable..
What i did find, after the parcel from Shpere went AWOL, was that sphere are very dedicated to getting the goods to you. I had two phone calls from them trying to sort out things.. The battered and bruise aust-post parcel did arrive after a couple of weeks... But the late delivery was not Spheres fault...I doubt you would get that one-on-one service from an O/S supplier

Team Falling Numerals

Post by Team Falling Numerals » 16 November 06 11:57 am

ozzie-jeeper wrote:I doubt you would get that one-on-one service from an O/S supplier
That's pleasing to hear.

I also purchased items from them in the past few months - my experience with their customer service left me indifferent to them hence they completed on price alone on my next purchase.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 16 November 06 12:19 pm

When I last ordered TBs (4, I think) from Sphere, I spoke to them about something and they lowered their standard postage fee down to two or three dollars - much more reasonable.

It pays to ask.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 16 November 06 8:11 pm

The TB's I purchased from Sphere, Jack was kind enough to let me pick them up in person as I only lived in the next suburb. I thought that was very decent of him.