National Geocaching Comms Channel

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Hounddog
500 or more caches logged

Post by Hounddog » 23 April 03 11:36 am

Following on from a short discussion on 2 way comunications while geocaching, I was wanting to nominate a particular channel for our use on UHF CB. I have found channel 15 to be as reliable as any.

The advantages of settling on particular channel is that there is a good chance of making contact with other cachers in the area and thereby knowing if any other cachers are working nearby or even at the same cache you are attending. Pehaps even added safety?

I always use channel 15 to communicate from the track to Snifter who is often with the car at the track head etc. Even when not caching I would scan channel 15 all time in case of any cachers working nearby. perhaps now you are seeing what I'm getting at. Any thoughts on this especially from cachers outside NSW would be appreciated.

Hounddog

PS There is also the advantage of not have to resort to use of a mobile phone where available and save money. :wink:

maccamob
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 23 April 03 12:09 pm

We've started using Ch 15 in the same way and, yes, it seems as reliable as any other. Our handhelds have limited range, but we do occasionally hear other users. No cachers have popped up yet, other than when we have been out with an organised mass assault on a cache. On those occasions, we have all been on Ch 15 anyway.

pyrenees kid
Site Admin

Post by pyrenees kid » 23 April 03 8:06 pm

Yes as maccamob says the range of the handhelds are limited..........
(you just drove past our camp :D )
Channel 15 is the go I think.
Oh and BTW, The Victorian Pajero club also use UHF15. Could be handy to know.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 23 April 03 9:21 pm

For those cheapskates with the Digitor units ($80/pair at Dick Smith's), channel 15's not available. They only do channels 18, 20 and 24.

Not a big deal, perhaps, but is there a problem with using one of these channels?

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 23 April 03 9:21 pm

I use 15 too. :)

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 24 April 03 11:57 am

I've been thinking of this for a while.
CH15 sounds fine to me.

Bear Left - A Gadget freak like you not having the full 40 channels? I'm shocked!

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 24 April 03 3:07 pm

EcoTeam wrote:Bear Left - A Gadget freak like you not having the full 40 channels? I'm shocked!
I can see that as a euphemism the CB crowd might use: "Nice bloke, but not the full 40 channels."

CBs? Gadgets?! Ptui! They're [shudder] analogue!
:|

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 24 April 03 5:25 pm

You'll have to get the fancy new digital spread specturm units then, lots digitally type stuff in there!
The ones with the inbuilt GPS look very inviting, worth a second morage on the house I recon!

Hounddog

Post by Hounddog » 24 April 03 7:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I seems that channel 15 is looking good but we will still keep it open for more discussion.

In regard to the Digitor 3 channel units, these are good value units for short rage but in a caching situation you may find them lacking for the application. Many handheld units which offer 3, 5 10 channels etc include channel 15 and many do not so it would be almost impossible to accommodate all the possibilities. Perhaps 40 channels is the safer option to choose. If you are cash strapped, Uniden do have a forty channel, 500 mw unit retailing for about $79 dollars or checkout Ebay.

I will shortly post a list of repeater channels here as well, you will be surprised at the number of repeaters available outside the city area.

Cheers

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 24 April 03 9:36 pm

Ch 15 sounds like a winner to me. When I finally get my UHFcb's that is I ordered them but just recieved a reply back saying that they were sold out but not to worry the next shipment was due on Thursday.

That repeater list sounds like a good idea

Suggestion to the forum managers - how about a Communications area/forum please? so that we can keep this stuff together and not lost in the general discussions? Just an Idea....

Hounddog, is there a list of "offical" use channels for UHFcb? Like with the AM crowd Channel 8 use to be the "truckie" channel but then became the contact channel?

Hounddog

Post by Hounddog » 24 April 03 11:15 pm

I will post the official use list shortly but in the mean time here is a rough guide.

Channel 1 Repeater output from 31
Channel 2 Repeater output from 32
Channel 3 Repeater output from 33
Channel 4 Repeater output from 34
Channel 5 Emergency Only Repeater (Output from 35)
Channel 6 Repeater output from 36
Channel 7 Repeater output from 37
Channel 8 Repeater output from 38
Channel 9 Simplex chat
Channel 10 Simplex chat
Channel 11 Simplex Call Channel
Channel 12 Simplex chat
Channel 13 Simplex chat
Channel 14 Simplex chat
Channel 15 Simplex chat
Channel 16 Simplex chat
Channel 17 Simplex chat
Channel 18 Simplex chat
Channel 20 Simplex chat
Channel 21 Simplex chat
Channel 22 Simplex chat
Channel 23 Simplex chat
Channel 24 Simplex chat
Channel 25 Simplex chat
Channel 26 Simplex chat
Channel 27 Simplex chat
Channel 28 Simplex chat
Channel 29 Simplex chat (Pacific Hwy Chat)
Channel 30 Simplex chat (Low power)
Channel 31 Repeater input to 1
Channel 32 Repeater input to 2
Channel 33 Repeater input to 3
Channel 34 Repeater input to 4
Channel 35 Emergency Only Repeater (Input to 5)
Channel 36 Repeater input to 6
Channel 37 Repeater input to 7
Channel 38 Repeater input to 8
Channel 39 Simplex chat (Low Power)
Channel 40 Highway Chat.

Simplex means direct chatting for radio to radio.
Low Power Channels are suggested only for outputs of 1 watt or less.
Repeater Channels must not be used for simplex conversations.
Channel 5/35 in monitored by volunteers and is for emergency use only.

Repeater Locations and info on how to use later.

Hounddog

maccamob

Post by maccamob » 25 April 03 12:14 am

The info on how to use the repeaters should be interesting. I noticed the other day that ExplorOz has a list of repeater locations by State that can be downloaded as Ozi waypoints - see http://www.exploroz.com/Interact/UHFRepeatersIndex.asp .
Put all the info on this thread together and we have a very useful resource. I agree that it all justifies its own Forum section.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 25 April 03 7:37 pm

40CH UHF units can be had for under $50 each with brands like Digitalk
Jaycar have a few units, which you can get for wholesale prices from Electus ($100 minium order though).
Strathfield have a few, and so do Tricky Dicks et.al.

pyrenees kid
Site Admin

Post by pyrenees kid » 25 April 03 9:33 pm

Thanks hounddog for the informative list. For those who dont know how the repeaters work............. (simple non tech explanation)
All the channels from 1-8 are designed to be used on duplex to be able to transmit to the repeaters.<br>
Eg: Radio1 is on ch2. the user transmits and the signal is transmited at the ch32 frequency to the repeater tower.<br>
The Repeater tower receives the sig from radio1, then re-transmits the signal now on ch2.<br>
All radios on ch2 in the vicinity can receive this signal.<br><p><center>
Image</center>
<br>TIPS ON REPEATER USEAGE.........
A repeater tower can only receive one frequency that its designated to receive on. Even know channels 1-8 are set aside for repeater use, you have to find the channel that suits a tower near you.<br>
How do you know if the repeater will pick you up? When you transmit the repeater will lock onto you signal untill you release your button. once you release you will hear a distinctive beep from the repeater tower.
If you are listening it is polite to wait for the beep before transmitting so you are sure that the repeater tower is free.