Help! Can't find COM1

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
GeoScrubers
200 or more found
200 or more found

Help! Can't find COM1

Post by GeoScrubers » 16 July 06 2:32 pm

I have been successfully using an older laptop (Win98se) to run GSAK, IMG2GPS and mapsource. I use a Garmin serial lead from com1 to an etrex legend. - all of a sudden it doesn't do what it is supposed to :shock: I can no longer send waypoints/maps etc. Every program comes up with msgs like "Can't Init COM1" or "COM 1 not available etc". :? Suggestions please :?: I have checked control panel-system-ports, it say device working normally. rate is set to 9600

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 16 July 06 4:10 pm

Just aquick one, do you have anything like the older versions of nokias connection doover, I used to have that to connect to my mob. phone and it'd steal com1. Something like that (maybe activesync??) has probably grabbed it for exclusive use...

Just a thought

vk7hch
1150 or more Caches found
1150 or more Caches found

Post by vk7hch » 16 July 06 4:54 pm

Another possibility that I encounter occasionally is dirty contacts between the serial lead and the GPSr, you will see the same error if this condition exists. I just give the contacts of both a quick wipe with a cotton bud dipped in metho, fixes it straight away.
Reminds me of an old tag line: breakfast.com halted, cereal port not responding.

GeoScrubers
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GeoScrubers » 16 July 06 5:35 pm

Do have both activesync and nokia. but activesync running on usb and nokia on IR. might try disconnecting and see what happens.

GeoScrubers
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GeoScrubers » 16 July 06 5:56 pm

Hooray, it's working now :D <br>
Top marks Craigrat it was activesync :!: <br>
For some reason it decided to want access to both USB and COM1 :? <p>
Thanks all