Debate 9 - Will Waymarking Take Off?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Waymarking looks like more fun than a Barrel of Caches

Strongly Agree
2%
Agree
2%
No Difference
12%
Disagree
45%
Strongly Disagree
40%

Total votes: 65

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 01 December 05 7:45 pm

I don't know if we'd get into waymarking...

As a side note...I noticed that in recent threads a lot of cachers talk about not having to carry a backpack, and some don't carry anything more than a pen. I should hope that on longer 'bushier' caches, people would be carrying some version of a first aid kit. Snake bites are a real danger, as are spider ones- how many of us have come face to face with the Spider From Hell (thats the one thats big, black and has fangs as big as your pinky finger!!) while caching?
If nothing else you should have a 'car' first aid kit with you and preferably a first aid book/let of some sort...just in case.

Marie

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 04 April 06 12:49 am

I was just using the search page on gc.com and noticed they haven't bothered to change the text about Locationless Caches.
Locationless (reverse) caches can only be searched by keyword and username. You can also view all locationless caches in alphabetical order.
The hyper link to view all just comes up with no finds.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 25 May 06 5:57 pm

When the waymarking thing started I put 3 up around Adelaide that haven't been found. Also I ended up "moderating" the campgrounds category.

After a spurt of activity to start with there are hardly any new submissions coming in now. I think everyone who wanted to try it already has.

LazyLeopard
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by LazyLeopard » 26 May 06 2:33 am

I'm more or less used to the gc.com website, but the wm.com one does too much with pop-ups and the rest, so it's tedious to navigate.

I guess waymarking may appeal to some folks (and maybe I'll check back from time to time), but for the moment it doesn't appeal to me. All the waypoints I did bother to look at (and I got bored pretty quickly with what was on offer) seemed less challenging than any of the virtual caches I've done.

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Post by Team Pathfinder » 26 May 06 10:35 am

richary wrote:When the waymarking thing started I put 3 up around Adelaide that haven't been found. Also I ended up "moderating" the campgrounds category.

After a spurt of activity to start with there are hardly any new submissions coming in now. I think everyone who wanted to try it already has.
We were involved in geocaching here in WA when it very first started. Initally there maybe one new cache per month (we were frantically planting them though) - we started to think that it would never get off the ground but look at it now. It just takes time - an awful lot of time in the case of living in the Pilbara!!!! (some places are just too hot and rugged to get people off their backsides it seems) :lol:

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 21 June 06 10:38 am

Hi

Interesting reading back on the comments about Waymarking. I agree with Team Pathfinder and have increased my own efforts re-waymarking and hopefully will soon have "my" own category up and running, Long-distance Walk Trails [funny that].

There are a few waymarks now around Perth for folks to log if there is any interest.

It will grow in my view.

Andrew

edmil
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by edmil » 21 June 06 1:19 pm

I think waymarking offers an alternative for those that don't want to hunt for a cache, sign a log book etc. It still gets people to some possible great spots. While I love the thrill of the hunt, If there were no cache at some of the spots I visited I would still have enjoyed it. THe ability to share so much in one spot is great, I often check out the gallery enjoy adding some shots as well.
I think there are some great opportunities. :lol: Waymarking Mccafes is one idea - go Mr coffee. For maddie I think it's mark every coffee shop followed by every toilet location :D We are unlikely to move from caching to waymarking but to have the option of running in parallel is great.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 21 June 06 1:34 pm

edmil wrote: We are unlikely to move from caching to waymarking but to have the option of running in parallel is great.
That is the approach I am taking and as I do with geocaching (some caches/cache types are not my thing, e.g., bloody hard puzzles :-)), some waymark categories I will not get involved in, but some such as walking trails, the proposed trig points interest me.

Regards
Andrew

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 21 June 06 3:51 pm

Aushiker wrote:
There are a few waymarks now around Perth for folks to log if there is any interest.

Andrew
Where?

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 21 June 06 4:28 pm

Hi Andrew

Not going to make it that easy for you :-) If you go to http://waymarking.com, set your home coordinates or whatever you want and then list waymarks say within 50 or 100 km you should get a list easily enough.

Andrew

Gunn Parker

Post by Gunn Parker » 22 June 06 12:52 pm

Thanks, I'll have a look now

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 22 June 06 1:05 pm

If anyone is interested I have been looking at waymaking and at present I am getting together a group to start a category of Bowling Centres (Tenpin and associated offshoots in the USA).

I find that the Category creation is a bit on the cumbersome side.

You have to first get a group of 3 people together and vote on the setup of the category. You then have to submit it to a peer vote for three days before it is accepted.

I don't know what happens if there are two groups trying to create the same category. I suppose at this early stage there are not enough submissions to get conflicts and as things progress the number of new categories will diminish anyway so it may not be a problem.

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

what cache?

Post by If » 08 July 06 7:00 pm

Whilst waymarks may direct me to a point of interest, the real thrill is to be able to find something that I have to search for at said location. It's all about filling out the logbook (swaps are optional, I usually have something to swap, but I quite often run out as I tend to try to fill up 'swap poor' caches) 8)
So in conclusion, I don't think waymarking will take off. There are easier ways to find a Macca's. The smell should put you off :shock: