TB Graveyards

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

TB Graveyards

Post by Team Stargazer » 15 January 04 5:12 pm

I've just had the not-so-nice task of informing an Australian TB owner that their TB has succumbed to some unfortunate event. :cry:

In their time of morning it has come to my attention that there seems to be no TB graveyard in our neck of the woods (Aust/NZ) & that this person now faces the grim task of laying their beloved TB in a foreign land, namely the USA (getting a bit hard to find your TB in there) or the UK (not so full), & not close to home. :(

I'm wondering if there is a need for a graveyard for our area (do we really have a missing TB problem here?) or is there enough of them around already?

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 15 January 04 5:16 pm

I will look into it, but as far as i know we don't have a TB graveyard

pprass
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by pprass » 15 January 04 6:49 pm

What's a TB? Excuse ignorence please

pprass

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 15 January 04 6:59 pm

Hi

This link will tell you about TB's<br><br>http://www.geocaching.com/track/faq.aspx<br><br><br>Dooghan

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 15 January 04 6:59 pm

TB is a travelbug... a game within the game of geocaching. Travelbugs move from cache to cache, some have goals that they must meet in their journeys around the world. See Travel bugs for more info

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 15 January 04 7:19 pm

I just noticed a new feature on the TB pages, I get a drop down menu in the selection part now. It allows me to recacculate the distance, place the bug as missing, and move it back to the last location. The missing selection just puts it into limbo.
<P>
Hands up please, How many people would like an Aussie TB graveyard set up? Is there enough Aussie TB"s missing? I think it might be a nice idea... If people wish it, I'll look at setting one up with the co-ords at a suitable location. Maybe the Isle of the Dead at Port Arthur in Tassie? Anyone else got any suggestions?

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 15 January 04 7:31 pm

I think it would be nice to have an Aust/NZ graveyard.
TBs residing there would be amongst friends & other TBs that they may have met in the "life before", much easer to find & not lost amongst all the American, British & other "stranger" TBs.
Other players could browse through the graveyard & would be more likely to recognize some of the TBs there ... and spend a few minutes in remembrance of them. :)

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 15 January 04 9:35 pm

Umm, I don't quite get the concept of a TB graveyard, can someone explain please?
I thought that TB's were either completely lost (as in caache stolen/destroyed), in the hands of someone (who has the responsability to move it on), or active in a cache somewhere.

EcoDave :)

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 15 January 04 9:45 pm

swampgecko wrote:Hands up please, How many people would like an Aussie TB graveyard set up?
Sounds good to me...

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 15 January 04 10:24 pm

EcoTeam wrote:Umm, I don't quite get the concept of a TB graveyard, can someone explain please?
I thought that TB's were either completely lost (as in caache stolen/destroyed), in the hands of someone (who has the responsability to move it on), or active in a cache somewhere.

EcoDave :)
Even though the actual travel bug (dog tag, geocoin etc.) has gone missing the cache page for that TB still exists on the geocaching.com website.

Following words taken from the USA graveyard:

[A TB graveyard (sic)] "... is a place where owners of travel bugs that have "passed on" may bury and memorialize them. This gets deceased bugs off the cache pages as well as out of the owners' hands; while still maintaining the history, logs, and finds for the bugs. Visitors and mourners alike may come here to visit and read the life stories of bugs that have been laid to rest."

langy
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Sadly - a good idea ...

Post by langy » 15 January 04 10:38 pm

A TB graveyard is a good idea and I like the suggestion for the Isle of the Dead but can I suggest Fort Dennison in Sydney Harbour - I think it is a nicer location and doesn't have any sort of "recent homides" associated with it.

Thats my $0.02 worth and do I have time to say - hi coz this is my first posting?

SNIFTER
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by SNIFTER » 15 January 04 10:57 pm

There are so many grave sites in all states especially pioneering ones I reckon that the middle of the Tanami Desert would be pretty good or middle of the Nullabor.
Must say that Isle of the Dead is a good one. :twisted:

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 15 January 04 11:02 pm

It doesn't matter where you make the coordinates as the cache is a virtual & you'll never need to go there. And if you ever have to use it you log a Note & NOT a Find.
The USA coordinates for their graveyard is at N 00° 01.000 W 000° 01.000 (puts it off the south coast of Africa in the Atlantic Ocean)

Might I suggest the following coordinates: S 00° 01.000 E 000° 01.000 or even S 00° 01.000 E 180° 01.000 (Pacific Ocean) or something like that. :wink:

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 15 January 04 11:11 pm

Team Stargazer wrote:...or even S 00° 01.000 E 180° 01.000 (Pacific Ocean) or something like that. :wink:
Hmm... come to think of it E 180° 01.000 doesn't exist, that would really be W 179° 59.000 :oops:

Still like my first suggestion though... :wink:

swampgecko

Re: Sadly - a good idea ...

Post by swampgecko » 16 January 04 5:39 am

langy wrote:A TB graveyard is a good idea and I like the suggestion for the Isle of the Dead but can I suggest Fort Dennison in Sydney Harbour - I think it is a nicer location and doesn't have any sort of "recent homides" associated with it.

Thats my $0.02 worth and do I have time to say - hi coz this is my first posting?
I had picked Fort Dennisonorginally, but there already is a virtual cache cache there, I thought Isle of the Dead would be more appropiate.

Welcome to the sport Langy, and if you think you are obsessive about things, You haven't met any geocachers yet then :twisted: