The ultimate geocaching device....

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
sc00t
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by sc00t » 18 April 06 4:04 pm

Does it even exist??
<p>
When i go caching, i generally take the following, seperate items:-
  • 1. GPS - Etrex legend
  • 2. PDA - Ipaq RX1710
  • 3. Camera - Fuji S5500
  • 4. Mobile - Nokia 7260
  • 5. Laptop - Compaq 24 something
<p>
Well, i am sick of carrying all that stuff around, especially when it is rendered useless without cache notes and an internet connection (a la my weekend, thanks to Mix for sending through some information though!!!)
<p>
So my question is - Do you know of one single device that combined, will render all my other 'junk' useless???

energizer61
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by energizer61 » 18 April 06 4:33 pm

one of these;

http://www.seeo2.com/product/XdaIIi/tem ... uctInfo.vm

with something similar to this;

http://www.expansys.com.au/product.asp?code=119019

should just about do it...

only thing missing is the Laptop, but PPC software is improving all the time.

you'll also need some software such as OziCE, GPXSonar, GPStuner etc etc...

let me know how it goes,

I've personally got a Navman PIN, missing the phone, but otherwise will do most things the above setup will give ya :)

Cheers

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 18 April 06 4:36 pm

Update the PDA to bluetooh/wireless/infared and I think your phone is bluetooth? With the addition of camera in PDA you can get notes ,log caches in general everthing you do on pc !Keep the laptop for car work & hotspots at Maccas!pDA is more fun in a loong lineup! :roll:
You will not look back. 8) Also being able to be on top of new caches by checking new listings before you come home is a bonus!

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 18 April 06 4:44 pm

Mr Router wrote:Update the PDA to bluetooh/wireless/infared and I think your phone is bluetooth? With the addition of camera in PDA you can get notes ,log caches in general everthing you do on pc !Keep the laptop for car work & hotspots at Maccas!pDA is more fun in a loong lineup! :roll:
You will not look back. 8) Also being able to be on top of new caches by checking new listings before you come home is a bonus!
In the time this took to write Energizer nailed it!

sc00t
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by sc00t » 18 April 06 5:34 pm

interesting so far....
<p>
Did find this - HP iPAQ h6515
http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/coolgea ... 171,00.htm

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 18 April 06 6:33 pm

sc00t wrote:Did find this - HP iPAQ h6515
On top of a monthly subscription charge, users will also have to pay associated data costs for downloading route information (Sensis tells us this is minimal). The upside is that the latest maps can be downloaded, which are updated every six weeks according to Sensis. Subscription charges for Whereis Navigatior are AU$149 for six months or AU$299 for 12 months.
:shock:

At the moment, it seems like the bottleneck for cool gear will be the camera. 1.3mb mainly, 2.1mb if you are lucky by all accounts :cry: Could you live with going from the 4 megapixel SLR camera to the cr@p cameras built into mobile phones. :roll:

Agsmky

sc00t
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by sc00t » 18 April 06 6:44 pm

agsmky wrote: Could you live with going from the 4 megapixel SLR camera to the cr@p cameras built into mobile phones. :roll:
Agsmky
<p>
No way, i am happy to still carry my camera around with me, i just love all the buttons :wink:

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 18 April 06 8:21 pm

I thought that was "Maccamob"

rogainer
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by rogainer » 18 April 06 9:13 pm

my 2c worth<br>
This is my current setup which works very well for me :-<br>
O2 XDAII mini (PDA Camera Phone)<br>
Magellan Explorist XL with DiscoverAus topo mapping.<br>
<br>
I run GPXsonar on my PDA and my GPS has a geocaching mode built in where the bundled software puts GPX files straight onto the GPS.<br>
The huge colour screen of the GPS is great for showing the mapping and geocaches appear with their own symbol. Selecting the geocache on the screen gives some basic info about the cache - for more info, I just look up the cache on the PDA.<br>
<br>
Have had this PDA for over a year now & love it - great small pocket size & sharp 320x240 screen.<br>
It has bluetooth, but not wireless - next model has wireless + FM radio and better camera... :-<br>

http://seeo2.com/product/XdaAtom/templa ... uctInfo.vm

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 18 April 06 9:21 pm

i might jump in on this also,

anyone know what the Palm Treo 650 is like? http://www.palm.com/au/products/smartphones/treo650

what is the internet like on these devices? is it just like WAP on my phone or could i log caches using it just as i do on this computer? any idea's?
Compliant with Internet standards — HTML 4.01, xHTML 1.0, cHTML, WML 1.3, SSL 3.0, HTTP 1.1, JavaScript 1.5, CSS 1.0 and 2.0 (partial), GIF, animated GIF, JPEG, PNG, BMP and Cookies.
don't know what all the means but would it be able to log into the GCA and GC site?
Last edited by GIN51E on 18 April 06 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acts2youthgroup
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by acts2youthgroup » 18 April 06 9:24 pm

swampgecko wrote:The ultimate geocaching device....

No I have found that a Dak Emu works well and I take one with me caching as much as I can. Go Dak Dak Go.
L.L.T.R.A

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 19 April 06 12:40 pm

I have managed to reduce the amount of stuff that i have to carry around by getting an O2 Atom, similar to the other O2's mentioned above, but it has a 2MP camera, which comes in handy just for the shots to show that there should be a cache here, but there isnt :D :D :D

It also runs Ozi CE nicely, which allows me to save on carrying the laptop (well i still take it out sometimes, some of the maps are too large to load into any PDA).

I can export straight out of GSAK onto the SD card, and then read the logs through internet explorer. If i get really stuck and want to look at more logs i can use GPRS to look at the GC.com site as long as i have mobile phone coverage.

My GPSr is a 60c, which gives me the mapping capabilities as well.

The only other thing i carry when im going out for a whole day of caching is my canon S2 IS.

Just by getting the Atom, its saved me from carrying the mobile phone (since it is now my mobile), and its improved the effectiveness of carrying a PDA, just by its ability to do more than one thing at a time (my old PDA was an IPAQ 1910)

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 19 April 06 2:16 pm

acts2youthgroup wrote:
swampgecko wrote:The ultimate geocaching device....

No I have found that a Dak Emu works well and I take one with me caching as much as I can. Go Dak Dak Go.
L.L.T.R.A
Are we calling them devices? Look out :lol: :!:

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 19 April 06 7:37 pm

setsujoku wrote: I can export straight out of GSAK onto the SD card, and then read the logs through internet explorer.
Finally someone else who uses GSAK freebies!