Australian GEOcoin images

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
TeamBeanDare
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by TeamBeanDare » 29 December 05 11:21 pm

Love the Australian Flag Idea. No need to separate states.

desdal

Post by desdal » 30 December 05 10:11 am

Dear ADAcache
<p>
Please dont be put off by the anti-CG.com forces that populate this sight. They are a small (but vocal) <i><b>minority</b></i> of the people who use this sight. In fact the users of this sight themselves are only a small minority of Australian geocachers. This sight is <i><b>not</b></i> the Australian geocaching community! Its only a service provided very generously by Ideology.
<p>
BTW. I'm not knocking this sight. I only want to put it in perspective.
<p>
The vocal minority seem to think that the best way to show support for the GCA web sight is to openly dislike and criticise Jeremy Irish/GC.com. What they fail to realize is that probaly >98% of the Australian geocaching community is quite happy with GC.com and see it as the main source of the enjoyment they get out of geocaching.
<p>
You must feel some measure of despair at the moment. It seems that whenever someone trys to do something constructive the anti-GC.com forces mount their high horses so that they can show their support for GCA.
<p>
I'm not saying that such opinions should not be expressed. Let them rant all they want. Just apprecite that their voices are loud but their numbers are few!
<p>
Hang in there! I think you'll find that the vast majority of Australian geocachers are happy to have a coin that is distinctly Australian and can be tracked on GC.com. I have already expressed my opinion about the design in an earlier post.
<p>
Like others I have always assumed that the "GCA" logo represents the Australian geocaching community (with a 'tip of the hat' to geocaching.com.au). If the logo can only be used on this web sight then I believe it dilutes it's usefulness. It means that we can't use it on cache stickers, stash notes, cache calling cards, etc. I think TLC really needs to have a longer harder look at the restrictions he has placed on the use of the logo even though they were expressed as preferences only. The catch cry here seems to be "free and open geocaching". Placing restrictions/preferences on the use of the Australian geocaching logo would seem to be at odds with this.
<p>
Des

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 30 December 05 10:35 am

desdal wrote:I think TLC really needs to have a longer harder look at the restrictions he has placed on the use of the logo even though they were expressed as preferences only. The catch cry here seems to be "free and open geocaching". Placing restrictions/preferences on the use of the Australian geocaching logo would seem to be at odds with this.
Interesting position you have taken there...

TRD have stated that the preference for use of the logo is for this website, as that is what it was designed for.

My opinion on all this is that the logo represents a site which is offered as an alternative site to gc.com, so the use of the logo on a gc.com coin is somewhat strange. An analogy would be like slapping the Tux, the Linux Mascot on a Microsoft Windows distribution....yes the image is free and open to use as well, but it would be odd to do it.

I also find it strange that some people think that a coin on gc.com could promote GCA... especially if they don't need to come here to log the coin...but that's been discussed elsewhere.

I think the question that needs raising is this "If you think you need to use the gca logo on gc.com caches, why aren't you placing these caches/coins/tb's on gca???". To promote a site that you don't feel is up to par for hosting your coin or cache seems a little hypocritical up to me.

/My $0.02
//Active supporter of GCA
///Need a nap

Back on topic I like this one:
Last edited by CraigRat on 30 December 05 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

TeamAstro
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by TeamAstro » 30 December 05 10:35 am

Heard this guy could make good billy tea. Even got his picture on this Aussie coin. He enjoyed the peace and solitude near the billabong.

clear skies, TeamAstro.

PS - this coin only cost $1.
PPS - my $1 worth :)

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 30 December 05 11:17 am

TeamAstro wrote:He enjoyed the peace and solitude near the billabong.
And stealing sheep & committing suicide too ... I really hate that song! :evil:

BTW ... I've never come across a geocoin yet with colour on it.

Personally I like either of the two original designs ... the rest really don't communicate anything to do with geocaching to me. :?

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 30 December 05 12:00 pm

desdal wrote: Hang in there! I think you'll find that the vast majority of Australian geocachers are happy to have a coin that is distinctly Australian and can be tracked on GC.com. I have already expressed my opinion about the design in an earlier post.
<p>
Like others I have always assumed that the "GCA" logo represents the Australian geocaching community (with a 'tip of the hat' to geocaching.com.au). If the logo can only be used on this web sight then I believe it dilutes it's usefulness. It means that we can't use it on cache stickers, stash notes, cache calling cards, etc. I think TLC really needs to have a longer harder look at the restrictions he has placed on the use of the logo even though they were expressed as preferences only. The catch cry here seems to be "free and open geocaching". Placing restrictions/preferences on the use of the Australian geocaching logo would seem to be at odds with this.
<p>
Des
I completely agree. I don't see having the Geocaching Australia logo on a gc.com trackable coin any different from the Californian Geocachers Club having their logo on it. Only difference really is that GCA is now listing Caches in "competition" with Groundspeak.
I'm not saying that such opinions should not be expressed. Let them rant all they want. Just apprecite that their voices are loud but their numbers are few!
They are only vocal because they participate in this forum. This forum creates a community. If you feel the 98% you write of are not represented then feel free to speak up.

I personally support the Geocaching Australia website because I am passionate about Australia having it's own identity. I am happy to use the gc.com website as well. I find it very fuctional and easy to use but will be delighted when one day hopefully the GCA site surpasses it in every way.
As for the Ranting you mention, the anti-GCA voices seem a lot more vicious than the anti-GC.com ones. And I think that's sad.

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 30 December 05 12:30 pm

desdal wrote:Like others I have always assumed that the "GCA" logo represents the Australian geocaching community (with a 'tip of the hat' to geocaching.com.au). If the logo can only be used on this web sight then I believe it dilutes it's usefulness. It means that we can't use it on cache stickers, stash notes, cache calling cards, etc. I think TLC really needs to have a longer harder look at the restrictions he has placed on the use of the logo even though they were expressed as preferences only. The catch cry here seems to be "free and open geocaching". Placing restrictions/preferences on the use of the Australian geocaching logo would seem to be at odds with this.
<p>
Des
<p><b>We are sick of seeing our name dragged into this debate continually. Lets put this to bed for once and all ... <p>
The Geocaching Australia logo as it was originally posted is hosted on our website. http://www.virtual-cyberspace.com <p>Specifically the Logo page http://www.virtual-cyberspace.com/oz/logos.htm (direct linking voids the javascript menus)<p>It clearly states at the top, that it is a Geocaching Australia Logo. <br>It was used by Geocaching Australia for their logo and has been for years from Woodiebro's original design. Then users started to copy it and spread the logo, that's ok by us that's fair use. <br>Then it was asked of us if it could be used to make some bumper stickers to promote Geocaching Australia. No one was going to profit from the proposal so we were happy to lend it's use for the design. <br>The webpage clearly has a fair use creative commons license this allows full use of any of our logo's save for profiteering.<p>So in short it was designed for the Geocaching Australia Website in private communications with George. <p>It is free to use so long as your not making a benefit from its use .. we feel that is only fair.<p>If you wish to discuss this matter with us further, contact me privately as the discussion here has been finalised as far as we're concerned 8)

desdal

Post by desdal » 30 December 05 1:39 pm

My apologies to TLC. Of course your logo is explicitly a GCA web sight logo. No offence intended.
<p>
Des

alpha993
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by alpha993 » 30 December 05 10:16 pm

Team Stargazer wrote:Personally I like either of the two original designs ... the rest really don't communicate anything to do with geocaching to me. :?
<P>Seconded :) , either of the two original designs captured "geocaching" and "australia" for me. I suspect the states will have little relevance to overseas geocachers, and possibly a fair swag of Australian geocachers as well. At the risk of sparking another vigorous dicussion, the flag doesn't seem to fit with the original concept either (YMMV...)

<P>BTW - Seems like a while since thanks was expressed to ADAcache for getting an australian geocoin as far along as this, so THANK YOU ADAcache :D - I hope your silence in recent postings is not from discouragement, but from efforts to finalise the production run and get the geocoin (whatever the final design) in circulation soon...

ADAcache
1950 or more caches found
1950 or more caches found

I'm Still here.

Post by ADAcache » 31 December 05 7:50 am

Thanks to all the people that have had a say on this issue. I never expected this to be easy, and I was quite surprised when there was so much support up front. :) <BR><BR>

Thanks to TLC for the clarification as to the acceptable use of the GCA logo, the final statement on fair use being that there was to be no profiteering made the decision for me. Since I will be making a small amount of profit from the sale of these coins that removes the possibility of the use of the logo.<br><BR>

The design I will be going with is the following.<BR><BR>

<br><br>

I will be out of contact for about a week, so the coins will be on the back burner for a short time. For all of the people that have given feedback, I thank you for you input and hope that you will enjoy your coins when they arrive.<br><br>

Happy caching and I hope to see you all out there one day.<BR><BR>

ADAcache

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 31 December 05 8:11 am

Yeah Thanks ADA Cache for all the hard work, and the finalisation. Thanks to all members for debate on the coin choice themselves. The coin looks great. Put me down for four. North, East, South and West

Unfortunately sometimes I think people have a bad day at work and say, "I know lets go into a forum and make things divisive there". I have no one in mind when I write this but the whole Us and Them stuff that goes on here is really sad to read. It detracts from everything I enjoy from this forum. If I wanted to listen to better than, high horsing and censored discussion I'd be at the GC.com forum.

Those that get a little passionate need to take the whole GC V GCA debate as a storm in a teacup. It comes down to personal choice. Consider it a choice like what am I having for breakfast this morning or wearing today.

My opinion for which coin... "Flip a coin". They are all good designs.

Well done people.

Next discussion - "Is it all about the Numbers?" This debate will be held in the "Mix's Mum's" thread.

The Bronze.

Fairly Magic
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Fairly Magic » 01 January 06 11:37 am

How to order? Email or PM ADAcache. Sent my order in ages ago, glad to see a final decision has been made. Yay for sticking it through ADAcache.

Keeping them? I hope that when I set free a coin it travels around and spreads the joy. I hope that no-one muggles the cache or keeps my coin. If anyone wants to keep a coin, put an order in and buy one. Please.

Requesting numbers? Oh my, do we really want to create such a nightmare and headache for ADAcache?

Cheers Quilter

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 01 January 06 12:18 pm

I think that if you look at the GC site you dont get numbers anymore just random stuff.

I found this out by looking at the UK geocoin and they had a comment about numbers on the coin and tracking codes both on the coin.

Spruce Mooses
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Spruce Mooses » 01 January 06 6:32 pm

Put me down for a couple! I'm very keen to get a coin going and one to keep to. <p>
The general ruling I found overseas was that if you want to keep a coin, you pay for it (they can be up to $200 each). If one has been set free then is has to keep going like a TB, otherwise it's like stealing someones property. If you find a wooden nickel or a cache token (not a metal coin) you can keep them or use them as a trade item. <p><p>