New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 04 December 03 12:30 pm

I loaded GSAK beta 3 onto 3 different machines here, All work fine. Win2k, XP pro & Win 98 SE.
I suspect a botched download file may be responsible for the above problems ?
(I downloaded all 3 seperately too, was easier then putting it on a drive to copy over to the other machines.).

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Re: GSAK Hangs at Startup

Post by ClydeE » 04 December 03 12:48 pm

dak's Emu Mob wrote:I'm running an AMD Athlon with 512MB RAM, an AGP NVIDIA graphics card, and 8GB free disk space.
I have not had any reports from users running this on Windows 95 (not recommended)

You wouldn't per chance be running Win 95?

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Beta 4

Post by ClydeE » 04 December 03 1:38 pm

Beta 4 is now ready for download

Fixed crash when displaying HTML and International Setting is Sweedish (comma as decimal seperator should be outlawed :twisted: - just joking jasy :wink: )
Fixed Incorrect UTM display if International Setting is Sweedish
Preserved Commas in OziExplorer Waypoint names (converted to Hex D1)
Config option to toggle the display of UTM co-ordinates in offline HTML
Changed the GSAK icon

Download here http://gsak.geocaching.com.au

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 04 December 03 4:01 pm

Hi Clyde,

Just tried out beta 4 with a fresh GPX file and there seems to be a problem with the offline cache listing generation... While the correct logs are included, there are also many other logs from other caches mixed in with them... I've e-mailed you an example...

Also I just noticed that the online view starts up the default browser and offline view always starts up Internet Explorer - Any chance of making the offline view work with the default browser as well as I don't use IE unless I can help it... :D

dak's Emu Mob
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

GSAK Icon

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 04 December 03 4:05 pm

G'day Clyde,
<p>
I don't have a Swiss flag, but how about a Swiss Army Knife icon?
<p>
I've got one; you can get it in 16 colours here, and in 256 colours here.
<p>
Unfortunately, they have a white background, but any good icon editing application should be able to make the background transparent.
<p>
As regards the hang: I've got my doubts about the stability of my system&#151;I've been thinking about reloading Windows XP for some time. In the meantime, I have a laptop with Windows XP on it, and I'll give that a try. If the problem was at your end, you'd've heard from someone else by now.
<p>
By the way, I <i>did</i> uninstall and reinstall, with the same result. I don't believe it can be a corrupted download, otherwise the install process would crash. Anyhow, if the install fails on the laptop, I'll download a fresh setup file and try again. Stay tuned for further results.
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 04 December 03 4:07 pm

This refers to Beta 4 :)

The waypoint colour for archived caches does not respond to changing the colour on the 'Generate Waypoint file' form. It responds to changing the offline code colour under configuration options. The others respond as expected.
There appears to be an 'i' missing from Offline and an 'o' missing from Coordinates on the Configuration Options Dialog. Also a redundant ' in its on the main form.

jasy

Re: Beta 4

Post by jasy » 04 December 03 4:48 pm

ClydeE wrote:Beta 4 is now ready for download

Fixed crash when displaying HTML and International Setting is Sweedish (comma as decimal seperator should be outlawed :twisted: - just joking jasy :wink: )
Fixed Incorrect UTM display if International Setting is Sweedish
Preserved Commas in OziExplorer Waypoint names (converted to Hex D1)
Config option to toggle the display of UTM co-ordinates in offline HTML
Changed the GSAK icon

Download here http://gsak.geocaching.com.au
I appreciate your efforts :lol:

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 04 December 03 5:08 pm

leek wrote:Hi Clyde,

Just tried out beta 4 with a fresh GPX file and there seems to be a problem with the offline cache listing generation... While the correct logs are included, there are also many other logs from other caches mixed in with them... I've e-mailed you an example...

Also I just noticed that the online view starts up the default browser and offline view always starts up Internet Explorer - Any chance of making the offline view work with the default browser as well as I don't use IE unless I can help it... :D
Hi John,

I have a GPX file for NSW but don't experience the problem you describe. Sounds like there is something in the new GPX file that is tripping up GSAK. Could you send my a copy of the GPX file, that is causing this problem. Thanks

On the subject of the browser:
GSAK does not call up any specific browser to display the offline cache information. It uses file association. It would appear your system has .htm files associated with Internet Explorer rather than Netscape. (a bit like having GPX files associated with EasyGps, and expecting GSAK to load when you double click on a GPX file)

Just set your .htm open association to call netscape (Netscape my already have an option to do this) and you should be fine

The reason the Online option is working is because it is calling a URL (which does not use file file association)

Hope this makes sense

Cheers
Clyde

dak's Emu Mob

Not Crashing Any Longer

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 04 December 03 5:21 pm

G'day Clyde,
<p>
I loaded beta3 on my laptop and it worked like a charm! :) I have now loaded beta4 over the top, and it works too! :D Looks like I need to bite the bullet and reload Windows on my desktop PC. :(
<p>
GSAK looks great, although I haven't had much of a chance to play around much yet. What do you want us to do with bug/enhancement reports? Publish them here, or send to you in an email? Are you interested in feedback on grammar and spelling, or just technical stuff? (I was a technical writer in a former life.)
<p>
Can you help me out with a couple of quick queries: What does the fourth column in the main display mean (the one that looks like a text note); and what does the next column mean (the one with the red, green, and grey squares)?
<p>
Enhancement Request: Do you intend to update the icons to the new ones now used by gc.com?
<p>
I'd like to second jasy's comment: "I appreciate your efforts".
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 04 December 03 5:21 pm

riblit wrote:This refers to Beta 4 :) The waypoint colour for archived caches does not respond to changing the colour
Yea, sorry about the "rap on the knuckles" - I was just a bit frustrated at looking for 2 hours for a problem that wasn't there.

This one is definitely a current problem and I thank you for bringing it to my attention :wink:

Cheers
Clyde

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 04 December 03 5:26 pm

I can send you the GPX file, but it's rather large and may not help at all...

Just as an experiment, I just deleted all the caches in GSAK and then reloaded the same GPX file and everything's fine... Previous to that, I had been updating the database (newer only) for the last 4 days and each time GSAK had updated all the caches.... Maybe during that process, the internal database got screwed up and mixed up the logs??? I'll let you know if it happens again and will preserve the GSAK database next time...

With regard to the HTM association - My settings say that HTM and HTML files are associated with my preferred browser (Crazy Browser - not Netscape). If I open a HTM file in a Windows folder then Crazy Browser is loaded... If I right click on a cache within GSAK and then choose offline view, it fires up Internet Explorer... Any other ideas?

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Re: Not Crashing Any Longer

Post by ClydeE » 04 December 03 5:46 pm

dak's Emu Mob wrote:G'day Clyde,
I loaded beta3 on my laptop and it worked like a charm! :) I have now loaded beta4 over the top, and it works too!
Good to hear it is working now :D
dak's Emu Mob wrote: GSAK looks great, although I haven't had much of a chance to play around much yet. What do you want us to do with bug/enhancement reports? Publish them here, or send to you in an email? Are you interested in feedback on grammar and spelling, or just technical stuff? (I was a technical writer in a former life.)
Any and all feedback is welcome. I'll be the first to admit my spelling and grammar is atrocious, so by all means let me know. If you think others in the forum will benefit from your comments then publish here, otherwise just send me an email.
dak's Emu Mob wrote: Can you help me out with a couple of quick queries: What does the fourth column in the main display mean (the one that looks like a text note); and what does the next column mean (the one with the red, green, and grey squares)?
The one that looks like a text note - is a text note :wink: You can add your own notes to caches by right mouse click, select add/change user note. Any cache that you have a user note, then shows this icon in that column. If you sort on this column it will bring all caches that have user notes together. (later I will add the ability to filter on this column)
For the red, green grey squares, see the note on the first message in this topic.
dak's Emu Mob wrote: Do you intend to update the icons to the new ones now used by gc.com?
The new icons seem to have finally settled so this could be the way to go , though I have had feedback from some users that they prefer the old ones. I guess this one should go to a vote?

Cheers
Clyde

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 04 December 03 6:00 pm

Leek spoke thus:
Maybe during that process, the internal database got screwed up and mixed up the logs???
I just had a quick browse through my html pages as I do same thing with updates. Everything appears in order with the logs but it looks like I am missing a gif. (Something I have noticed before but have not worried about) All caches that use cacheL.gif do not get a picture as it is missing from the images directory. It is also missing from the Geo2Ozi image directory.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 04 December 03 6:12 pm

Clyde asked:
The new icons seem to have finally settled so this could be the way to go , though I have had feedback from some users that they prefer the old ones. I guess this one should go to a vote?
It probably doesn't matter all that much as the images are all in the Images folder. You could make up a couple of different sets and let users install what they want. Anyone with graphic skills can make their own.
They appear to be 32 x 32 pixels.

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 04 December 03 6:30 pm

leek wrote:With regard to the HTM association - My settings say that HTM and HTML files are associated with my preferred browser (Crazy Browser - not Netscape). If I open a HTM file in a Windows folder then Crazy Browser is loaded... If I right click on a cache within GSAK and then choose offline view, it fires up Internet Explorer... Any other ideas?
This is weird. As GSAK doesn't explicitly call any specific browser it must be set this way some where in your registry.
File association has several actions or verbs (print, edit, open, etc) can you check all the actions and see if any of them still point to Internet explorer. Open and OpenNew especially. To check your file association actions:
1. Start windows explorer
2. Click on "tools" then "Folder options"
3. Click on the "File Types" tab
4. Scroll down to HTM and click on it.
5. Now click on the "Advanced" button
5. Then for every action, click on the "edit" button to see what program is
associated with that action

HTH
Clyde