What NSW caches are must do's?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
baseline benny

What NSW caches are must do's?

Post by baseline benny » 07 November 03 10:12 pm

I'm traveling from Brisbane to Sydney in December, what caches are must do caches?

I'll be using the coast road down and back, but can afford to divert if it's truly worthwhile, travelling with young children, in a 4WD, no boat/canoe. Will have at least one day in Sydney for cacheing.

Your input is welcome.

Ben.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 08 November 03 6:07 am

ok what caches are worthwhile doing in the steak and kidney?
Since you will only have maybe a day to spare that rules out the advanced multicaches.... This all depends on what part of Sydney you will be in... any cache in the Lane Cove area,to the north(Hornsby) any cache set down by the 2Dogs(cacher names Hounddog and Snifter are pretty good and normally kid friendly) if you are out to the Northwest nearly every cache out around the Richmond Windsor area would suite your needs( personal bias showing.... as I have set approx 50% of the caches in the Hawkesbury area) on the southside of town.... I haven't done enough down there to comment really and the best cache that I had completed down there is now gone. If in the city I do suggest dont wake the neighbour neighbours. The choices are actually too numerous to mention really... just depends on your preference in caches. One the trip down I do suggest however that you divert into South West Rocks as there is two caches there, Gaol House Rock and Smokey Cape Light House. Coff Harbour has a cache there tooabove the big Banana, there is also SRS2 just south of Coffs, and there is Pillar of Winds in the State forest to the north of Taree. All worth the effort.

And if you are out Richmond way Give me a ring if you need assistence...my phone number is listed in my profile

Good Luck and good Hunting

Swampy

the odlids
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by the odlids » 08 November 03 4:55 pm

Golly what a difficult question!!!!!

It all depends so much on where abouts in Sydney you are staying, how old the kids are etc etc.

I have to agree with swampgecko when it comes to South West Rocks on the way down. The area is a hot spot for scenic caches. We were so impressed with the quality of caches in the area that we added two new ones on our last visit. They are "On a clear day" (great views and less than 20 metres away from the access road) and "Little Cache" (a 3 minute walk from a lovely little beach).

If you are staying there we can recomend the "Trial Bay Tourist Caravan Park" (it is on the road on the way to the old Gaol site).

It would be relatively easy to knock over 6 good caches in the area in a day.

Cheers from
The Odlids

baseline benny

Post by baseline benny » 09 November 03 10:39 am

Since you will only have maybe a day to spare that rules out the advanced multicaches.... This all depends on what part of Sydney you will be in...
<p>I'll be in the near Roseville (not far from Lane Cove).</p>
The choices are actually too numerous to mention really... just depends on your preference in caches.
<p>Most of the caches I've done to date have been traditional caches, but I'm up for mostly anything. The Looking Series here in Brisbane was VERY enjoyable (6 micros, 2 virtuals, 1 traditional).</p>
<p>I may well have some extra people tagging along so the more 'memorable' the better. Walks under 1km (2km round trip) are prefered as my kids (ages 7.5, 6, 6) aren't keen on walking much further than that.</p>
and there is Pillar of Winds in the State forest to the north of Taree.
<p>found the others.... but can't find this one. do you have a wpt or url??</p>
<p>Ta for the suggestions, found them all after a little searching....
I'll be staying in Comboyne for a couple of days as well, so I'll probably do the caches between Port Maq. and Kew.</p>
<p>Ben.</p>

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 09 November 03 3:00 pm

Sorry my mistake... Pillow of winds http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 1FEDEE261}

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 09 November 03 8:40 pm

If you're in Roseville, have a look at:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?zip=2069

From that list, I can recommend (based on your requirements) Swayin' (shameless plug), Wilson, Bogle-Chandler, Nest, Grumpy, Forty Two and Dealer Wins as traditional or relatively quick multis . Since you're driving, you might want to plot caches on a map and find something more to your liking nearby.

- Rog

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 12 November 03 10:32 pm

Coast road eh!

Guess you've got Buckleys of getting Buckleys.

Shame :(

baseline benny

Post by baseline benny » 13 November 03 11:38 am

Found it!
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... x?ID=99722
Buckley's that is.... on the web anyways ;-)....

Hmmmm.... being approx 345km from the coast that makes it a fair way out of the way. I do have a question about it tho: you say it will take more than a day.... what is expected? 2 days, 3 days?

looks good tho.

Ben.

baseline benny

Post by baseline benny » 13 November 03 12:06 pm

thanks to all for the suggestions.... I now have a large wad of sheets with which to confuse all I visit (a palm or pocketpc is climbing it's way up my wish list).

Ben.