Pocket Pc Speed Tip

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Pocket Pc Speed Tip

Post by ClydeE » 14 October 03 5:23 pm

Do you copy all your offline cache HTML pages (eg from GPX Spinner) to your Pocket PC. Does it seem to take for ever?

It did for me, and I thought there has got to be a better way. There is. Sorry if this has already come up before but I haven't seen it.

I found if you zip up the folder that contains all your HTML files, then just copy that one zip file down to your Pocket PC it is A LOT quicker.

Of course you will then need a utility on your pocket PC to unzip the files. There are a few free ones around and the one I use is ezyUnZip. It can be found here http://www.cnetx.com/ezyUnZIP/download.asp

Cheers
Clyde

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 12 November 03 10:14 am

It would be quicker to get an SD or mmc card for the Pocket PC, and a reader for the desktop machine. Plug the card in the reader and copy everything really quickly without worrying about zip and unzipping. It also extends the pitiful memory on the pocket PC.

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 12 November 03 10:36 am

riblit wrote:It would be quicker to get an SD or mmc card for the Pocket PC, and a reader for the desktop machine. Plug the card in the reader and copy everything really quickly without worrying about zip and unzipping. It also extends the pitiful memory on the pocket PC.
I seriously question if the overall time would be much quicker and if so only by a small amount. Remember too, that access to the memory card on a pocket pc is slower than main memory. Seems like a lot of expense just for a few extra seconds. If you NEED extra memory (or already have a memory card) then this may be a viable option - you will still need to buy a reader for your desktop pc.

Alby

Even quicker!!

Post by Alby » 18 November 03 8:29 pm

:idea: We just cut and paste the cache folder from the spun out zip to our sd card reader (e-bay $22.00) and it takes a whole 5-10 sec. Slap the card into our trusty Pocet pc and then just make the folder our home for mobile internet explorer!!

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Re: Even quicker!!

Post by ClydeE » 19 November 03 12:40 am

Alby wrote::idea: We just cut and paste the cache folder from the spun out zip to our sd card reader (e-bay $22.00) and it takes a whole 5-10 sec. Slap the card into our trusty Pocet pc and then just make the folder our home for mobile internet explorer!!
Sounds good, but don't forget to add the cost of the SD card!

As I am on a budget, I will stick with the zero dollar option for the time being.

However, with xmas around the corner I live in hope :)

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 19 November 03 9:03 am

ClydeE offered:
but don't forget to add the cost of the SD card
For the budget conscious, save few dollars and use a multimedia card.

By the time one adds OziCE and a few maps and maybe the odd photo or two, external memory becomes a necessitaty.

If anyone is interested in external memory or readers, send me a pm