ssssssssssssssssssss<

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Hounddog
500 or more caches logged

ssssssssssssssssssss<

Post by Hounddog » 18 October 05 11:36 pm

Just a word of warning to all that snakes already seem to be very common this year and, as yet, we are very early into the warmer months.
I visited a cache today and over a 10 minute period I spotted 4 Eastern Browns slithering very close to my feet. I have kinda got used to seeing joe blakes around while caching but all the same it might be an idea to brush up on your snake bite first aid. Geocaching in Australia....isn't it a joy? :)

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 18 October 05 11:40 pm

was talking about this topic this afternoon whilst picking up a few caches, as of yet i haven't seen any snakes, but many lizards, dragons etc.

but i'd rather see a snake in the bush then a large cat or grizzly bear :shock: trying to eat me.

The Rats
5000 or more caches found

Re: ssssssssssssssssssss<

Post by The Rats » 19 October 05 1:50 pm

Hounddog wrote:all the same it might be an idea to brush up on your snake bite first aid.
<P>Suck the poison from the affected area, apply gun powder and ignite. :roll:

The Rats

Post by The Rats » 19 October 05 1:55 pm

The worlds most dangerous snake<P>Image

vitesse
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by vitesse » 19 October 05 4:23 pm

>>.............over a 10 minute period I spotted 4 Eastern Browns slithering very close to my feet...............

----------------------------------------------------

so if we stand on the western side of caches we will be ok, right?

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 19 October 05 6:10 pm

I spotted a very large (over 2m and as thick as my arm) red bellied black snake just yesterday - not too common anymore & first time I'd seen one in the wild.

Also had a eastern brown at my feet last week - I think these fellas are so common & you probably don't see 99% of them - they also move through grass almost silently.

Hounddog

Post by Hounddog » 19 October 05 7:47 pm

One of the snakes I saw yesterday was well over a metre long. Very long for an Eastern Brown because usually they are quite a small snake even when adult. I'm guessing that in the area of the cache there had been a fairly recent litter. The rest were very small and not much longer than a lizard.<p>

Image<p>

I once caught my cat stalking one in the back yard. Their size makes them look less dangerous than what they really are. The can easily kill a dog or cat.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 24 October 05 12:40 am

My first geosnake!

I'd walked past a western tiger snake who had to wait for me to go past before he could cross the path, and he wasn't happy to do so. So he flattened his head and hissed at me, then slithered quickly across the path 3-4m behind me and disappeared.
Quite a big one, a little over a metre, with the classic yellow belly and dark upper side.

I haven't seen a snake in the wild since I was a kid in country SA, and not very often then. I guess if I'm going to go walking around wetlands areas on warm days in WA, I'd better get used to it!

A more pleasant sight on the same walk was a quenda (southern brown bandicoot), running across the track ahead of me and checking me out from amongst the bushes.
-PBL

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 24 October 05 12:53 am

What cache was it that you saw the snake?

Thanks

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 24 October 05 8:18 pm

On Saturday i was out in blacktown area walking through some thick long grass looking for a cache and lifted up a piece of metal sheet with my foot to find a Red Belly Black Snake coiled up underneith, quickly backed off and decided it was time to go home and get out of this long grass.
<P>
only a little one probably stretched out it would have been 50cm?
<P>
only ever seen 3 other snakes in the bush,
<P>
Berowra about 10 years ago an Eastern Brown just over 1 1/2metres long
<P>
Diamond Python a few months ago at Crosslands Reserve at Hornsby and some dark/black thing south of Hobart took off underneith my feet whilst walking along a boardwalk, didn't get a good look at it

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 24 October 05 8:21 pm

That some black thing in Hobart was most likely a Tiger Snake. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but the only snakes down there are Tigers and Copperheads. Both are pretty nasty.

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 06 November 05 8:25 pm

Saw another one today, this time curled up in the space under the rock cairn, snuggled up against the cache container!
I haven't identified it yet, but it had that python look to it, so I probably wasn't in mortal danger...
Photos on my log for Bald Hill.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 07 November 05 12:34 am

In case anyone DOESN'T know the appropriate first aid for snake bite, here it is:

Apply a pressure immobilisation bandage (a wide elastic bandage, you can get them from any chemist), starting just above the fingers or toes and moving up the limb as far as can be reached. Put a mark on the bandage where the bite is (doctor can cut a hole there to take venom swab and identify snake, without having to remove bandage).

Immobilise casualty, splint the bitten limb, ensure casualty DOES NOT MOVE (muscle movement will transport the venom to the bloodstream via the lymphatic system).

Call 000, or 112 from a GSM mobile.

Hounddog

Post by Hounddog » 07 November 05 1:29 am

Gunn Parker wrote:What cache was it that you saw the snake?

Thanks
I was at Hi Way Low Way. It's just at the side of the highway in long grass, not even in the bush, so be very carefull.

energizer61
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by energizer61 » 07 November 05 10:06 am

Cached wrote:That some black thing in Hobart was most likely a Tiger Snake. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but the only snakes down there are Tigers and Copperheads. Both are pretty nasty.
Actually 3, there's the white lipped as well :)

more info on Tasmania's snakes can be found Here