OT - DVD Burning advice needed.

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found

OT - DVD Burning advice needed.

Post by ian-and-penny » 22 September 05 7:55 pm

Hi All,

I seem to have a strange problem with some Data DVD's I burnt recently.

I burnt quite a few disks, all at the same time, using Nero - and the data on each was validated by Nero at the time of burning.

I sent them out to a few people and while some don't seem to have a problem, others are reporting that the DVD is readable on one PC but not another, and some are saying they can't read the disk at all or are getting CRC errors.

As this is my first foray into DVD burning (and I don't have a problem with my own disks) - Any advice on how to please all of the people all of the time ould be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Ian

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 22 September 05 8:59 pm

Are these multisession dvd's, only win xp can read those, even if there are not multiple sessions on the disc, but was burned as a multisession, they may not be readable.

ian-and-penny

Post by ian-and-penny » 22 September 05 9:45 pm

Webguy wrote:Are these multisession dvd's, only win xp can read those, even if there are not multiple sessions on the disc, but was burned as a multisession, they may not be readable.
Nope, I just checked the compilation settings, It's definitely set to "No Multisession".

I will query the guys about their OS though.

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 22 September 05 9:52 pm

i have used Nero to create data discs on DVD for all of my photo's and i noticed that the disc's work fine after burning, a couple of weeks later and a few files on the disc can no longer be read and as time goes on more and more information on the disc can not be read.

I've had the same problem with making movies on DVD "using another program" in which as time goes on the disc starts to fail earlier on in the movie.

I Burn on TDK discs using a Samsung burner so i don't know what causes it.

Yet same problem, some computers or DVD players can still read it whilst others can't.

Skippy&lambchops
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Skippy&lambchops » 22 September 05 11:02 pm

Are you using DVD+R or DVD-R for burning

energizer61
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by energizer61 » 22 September 05 11:03 pm

I had similar problems, disks could only be read by some machines & not others... I found after lots of playing around the best solution was to slow the write speed down to the slowest possible speed... It takes longer to burn but the results were much better & didn't have anywhere near as many problems like you're describing. The other thing to check would be the type of disk, a DVD-R disk won't be readable by a DVD+R drive & vise versa.

Hope this helps :)

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 22 September 05 11:42 pm

Which DVD burner are you using? I have 4 here (3 different brands) and find the best results are from the older (slower) drives in fact so much that I usually use the new dual player burner to burn CDs only. My old Sony (+ only) drive, actually a rebadged Ricoh, is the most reliable.

Chwiliwr

Post by Chwiliwr » 23 September 05 11:55 pm

Because some of the people you have sent the disks to are reporting CRC errors this indicates that your burn had a number of errors on the disk that your drive can handle but theirs cannot.

Although it is convenient to burn at a fast rate it introduces more chances that errors have occurred in the burn process so therefore most experts will advise you to burn at the slowest rate possible on your drive to get the most compatability. (Possibly why Riblit has a better success rate with his older drives as they burn slower.)

This doesn't always work but it gives you the best chance. It also helps not to use any of the cheaper brands of disks but the manufacturers all have reduced the quality of the recordable disks in recent years so it is becoming more difficult to get reliable (ie error free) burns on home systems. (Consumer demand forces lower prices and they can generally only compete by reducing the quality/price of the manufacturing processes)

There have been a number of articles in the recent computer magazines dealing with this and the disk rot issue that is affecting the longevity of data storage on burn disks.

Just a bit of trivia on CD's. When CD's first came out the equipment to make a master CD cost more than US$650,000 and anyone requiring a master paid about $30,000 for it.

ian-and-penny

Post by ian-and-penny » 23 September 05 11:59 pm

I was using no name -R disks, now I'm using TDK -R disks in a LG badged drive.

Hopefully these will work better.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 24 September 05 1:00 am

ian-and-penny wrote:I was using no name -R disks, now I'm using TDK -R disks in a LG badged drive.

Hopefully these will work better.
In discussions with a number of friends who burn DVDs for various reasons, the words TDK, errors and unreadable appear frequently in the same sentence.

Udderchaos
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Udderchaos » 24 September 05 6:15 am

about the only one ive had no problems with is shintaro white tops.