Google Earth

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 30 June 05 11:45 pm

Have been playing a bit, and been having a lot of fun on the broadband connection at work :D

The coords aren't quite accurate enough to go finding without a GPS, for example one of mine here (in the middle of a 6 lane divided road) plots about 40m away in the adjacent hotel carpark. But with the height they are taken from that's probably nitpicking.

Have had fun looking at the country house I lived in 25 years ago (we never had a swimming pool!) and other spots.

How do you get the slanted view shown further up the topic - or do you need the pay version for that?

crew 153
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 01 July 05 12:04 am

Use the tilt function on the bottom control panel or if you have a wheel mouse hold down the wheel and drag will give you tilt and rotation.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 01 July 05 9:41 pm

riblit wrote:I like that - How do you calibrate the overlay?
<br />I can see a google earth tips thread soon.
Well I already had the maps calibrated in oziexplorer. So it was a matter of opening the map in oziexplorer and setting it to the same coordinate format as google earth. Then I ran my mouse off the edge of each map to the north, sourth, east and west to get the coordinates of each map edge. Then in google earth just added a image overlay, went into advance options and put the coordinates in there. 99% of the time the overlay would line up but if it does not then you can use the green handles to move or resize the overlay. One other thing I found out is if you add to many overlays then the computer will get slower and slower. As you can see in this pic it just chuw the shit out of the ram and page file. It also wouldn't of help with the 50 processes either.

Dooghan

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 01 July 05 10:39 pm

Dooghan wrote:Well I already had the maps calibrated in oziexplorer. So it was a matter of opening the map in oziexplorer and setting it to the same coordinate format as google earth. Then I ran my mouse off the edge of each map to the north, sourth, east and west to get the coordinates of each map edge. Then in google earth just added a image overlay, went into advance options and put the coordinates in there. 99% of the time the overlay would line up but if it does not then you can use the green handles to move or resize the overlay. One other thing I found out is if you add to many overlays then the computer will get slower and slower. As you can see in this pic it just chuw the shit out of the ram and page file. It also wouldn't of help with the 50 processes either.

Dooghan
Thanks, I thought you might have found something that converted the ozi map file to something google earth could read.

Quasar
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Twitter: quasar217

Google Earth

Post by Quasar » 03 July 05 10:37 pm

The resolution isn't great, particularly in Melbourne, it seems like the city centre and western suburbs are at a much greater resolution than the east. Anyone know if it's possible to get roads overlayed on it? Being able to read in GPX files is great, but the satellite basemap is at too low a resolution for it to be any better than the old Raster 250K series maps that I use now.

crew 153

Post by crew 153 » 03 July 05 11:01 pm

I scanned in a number of pages from the Brisbane UBD map book last week and then entered them as overlays and lined them up with the satellite image. Added loc files downloaded from GSAK and hey presto cache locations with maps information. Used them on the weekend and helped a great deal.

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 04 July 05 10:34 am

I used the Google Earth on the weekend to find a road that wasn't on the maps. I highlighted the road on the screen, printed it out and used it to find my way to the cache... very useful.

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 04 July 05 11:53 am

Here's something to amuse... How quickly these things spring up...

Welcome to Google Sightseeing

Sorry - just realised that it's Google Maps not Google Earth - but fun nevertheless...

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 04 July 05 1:17 pm

leek wrote:Here's something to amuse... How quickly these things spring up...

Welcome to Google Sightseeing

Sorry - just realised that it's Google Maps not Google Earth - but fun nevertheless...
interesting site - some good stuff in the posts there.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 13 July 05 3:26 am

Can anyone see any sign of Vostock Station?

Is there a database of interesting locations in DD MM.MMM or similar. I found the World Wind one but cannot convert unless I run them through the eTrex. too time consuming.

So far I have listed the Great Pyramids, Mariana Trench (Challenger Deep), Sagamartha, Atacama Desert, Mirney Diamond Mine, Chicxulub KT Crater (Mexico), Various capitals etc. Stone Henge was a disappointment. Took me ages to find it too and then too fuzzy to see. Couldn't make out Wolf Crater either. Mabey I was at the wrong co-ords.

Works extremely well on the new laptop. Smooth and fast. needs a little tweeking with the settings. I hope the maps stay cached and don't need to be constantly need to be reloaded. Not game to check what the download has been tonight.

Bronze.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 July 05 8:37 am

Don't have any co-ords, but if you can find Mt Vesuvius it's very cool as it has height data associated with it and you can fly around it in 3D.

Very surreal.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 13 July 05 9:12 am

caughtatwork wrote:Don't have any co-ords, but if you can find Mt Vesuvius it's very cool as it has height data associated with it and you can fly around it in 3D.

Very surreal.
Search 'napoli, italy' and it's right there. Is pretty cool in high res.
See the road running up the side and the path around the crater, might have changed since but when I visited you parked at the parking lot down the bottom, for free, walked up the path to just under the rim to find a booth charging a fee for the rest of the way. As you can see it was a pretty steep walk so I think most people would have paid and they get more custom than if the booth was at the bottom.

:evil:

13d 24'45.54"N, 103d 52'02.82"E <- just cut and paste it in the search bar
Is Ankor Wat, one of the many temples of Ankor in Cambodia. The largest religious building on earth. The Moat is 100m wide.
Last edited by Damo. on 13 July 05 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 13 July 05 10:03 am

Bronze wrote:
Works extremely well on the new laptop. Smooth and fast. needs a little tweeking with the settings. I hope the maps stay cached and don't need to be constantly need to be reloaded. Not game to check what the download has been tonight.

Bronze.
Under Tools -> Options <br />
click the 'cache' tab, change the disk cache setting to 512 MB (the max you can have)

sparkky
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by sparkky » 14 July 05 12:55 am

Here is a good site to go with google earth.
Shows some great things to look at.
http://www.googleearthhacks.com/

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 14 July 05 11:42 am

sparkky wrote:Here is a good site to go with google earth.
Shows some great things to look at.
http://www.googleearthhacks.com/
Some good stuff there.</br>
I followed <a href="http://andyfowler.com/journal">this link</a> and found a kml file that is a network link to gc.com. It displays 5 caches around around the map centre.