new server - beta testing [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 27 June 05 2:40 pm

The "hide a cache" option on the tabs, takes you here http://beta.geocaching.com.au/my/xxx

which, is kinda nowhere.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 27 June 05 6:45 pm

Hide a cache -> list a cache produced:
"Hotlist Error
Unrecognised hotlist type."

A suggestion. Perhaps "Not registered" might be better than "Anonymous" as the owner of caches belonging to people not registered with GCA.

Logging works.
Browsing works.
Logging a note, same as Cached: "Access Error
Cannot access log. Please check the log numeber and whether you own it"
plan/recommend/watch seem fine for me also.

Other Caches

* Nearby
* Nearby standard
* Nearby recommended
* Also found
* Also recommended

All these links work fine.

Map links only Multimap works.

Under "My Account" the add new Cache link allowed me to create and save a cache as available. (Noticed the default coords were S and W though.)
Trying to then log a find/dnf/note/needs archiving against it gave the same error as previously.

Looking good i!. Really appreciate all the work you are doing!

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 27 June 05 7:00 pm

The Beta Site seems to be working fine and looks great, but hmm the oringinal page is giving me problems and not showing up anything when I click on ALL Caches, or Statistics..

energizer61
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by energizer61 » 27 June 05 7:33 pm

links to groundspeak caches from GCA pages don't work, they begin with "xhttp".

also, link to "full logs" from cacher page returns error message.

looking really good guys, can't wait for it to go live :)

energizer61
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by energizer61 » 27 June 05 7:41 pm

the search link returns a blank page for me, using IE.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 27 June 05 7:48 pm

energizer61 wrote:the search link returns a blank page for me, using IE.
Its probably not implemented yet. <br/>
the xhttp you found is deliberate at this stage..

imgettingannoyed

Post by imgettingannoyed » 27 June 05 8:08 pm

im using firefox and ive got no probs. looks very good and is super easy to navigate through, all the dropdowns work fine

ideology

Post by ideology » 27 June 05 9:07 pm

Cached wrote:logging caches - can't get to work.
Damo. wrote:Logging a note, same as Cached: "Access Error. Cannot access log. Please check the log numeber and whether you own it"
sorry about that - another permissions bug. we think we've fixed it. please let us know if symptoms persist!
Cached wrote:clicking the "Links" tab (this link http://beta.geocaching.com.au/links)
we eventially want to go to a page of links but we've only got the geocachers page done at the moment, so we've made the menu and the first item point to that same page
Cached wrote:The "hide a cache" option on the tabs, takes you here http://beta.geocaching.com.au/my/xxx
oops, thanks. we've linked it into the new cache page
Damo. wrote:Hide a cache -> list a cache produced: "Hotlist Error Unrecognised hotlist type."
we're having trouble reproducing that one. did we fix it with the above or is that something else?
Damo. wrote:Perhaps "Not registered" might be better than "Anonymous" as the owner of caches belonging to people not registered with GCA.
it's slightly different - we show lots of logs for people who are not registered. there is one person who requested that we remove their name and logs from the system, so we are accommodating them by marking the fact that there was a log but not saying who it was.
Damo. wrote:Under "My Account" the add new Cache link allowed me to create and save a cache as available. (Noticed the default coords were S and W though.)
yes, this is buggered at the moment, we will work on that tonight or tomorrow.
Damo. wrote:Map links only Multimap works.
yes, we're focusing on that one now, but want to be able to put in GSAK mapping strings so that the maps are easily extensible. we'll grab the strings out of the existing thread in the forum to populate that.
xf king wrote:oringinal page is giving me problems and not showing up anything when I click on ALL Caches, or Statistics..
sorry, this was an effect of resintalling some stuff on the new sydney server. we've (hopefully) fixed that
energizer61 wrote:links to groundspeak caches from GCA pages don't work, they begin with "xhttp".
yes, we did that to stop referrer strings going from a beta site. just take out the 'x' and it should work. we'll change that when we move the beta site into production
energizer61 wrote:the search link returns a blank page for me, using IE.
yes, we need to finish the search. if you just do /search?q=text it will work. we want to have a search box on the main header like on the current production site

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 27 June 05 11:56 pm

If your looking for a life, I think I have a spare one floating around here somewhere. Partly used by Mix last holidays. Might have fallen down beind the fish tank.

No seriously - I appreciate the effort guys as do we all.

Lookin good i!

The Bronze.
"Work it baby one more time"

maccamob
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 28 June 05 1:21 am

Looks good. One small problem. If I go from the Forum (ie logged in) to the listings then click on the 'My' tab, I get an error saying I'm not logged in. Wierd! :? Go back to the Forum and I'm still logged in...

ideology

Post by ideology » 28 June 05 8:35 am

Bronze wrote:If your looking for a life, I think I have a spare one floating around here somewhere.
oops, we forgot about that. now that we've got over the hardware issues, we've added a life from this friday when we will be away until 18 july.
maccamob wrote:If I go from the Forum (ie logged in) to the listings then click on the 'My' tab, I get an error saying I'm not logged in.
yes, sorry about that. it's because the forum and the site are on different servers and login sessions are stored on a table in the computer. we plan to move it all onto one server after we we come back from holidays. until then what works for us is to tick the autologin box and it will log you in on each server automatically. not ideal but it's just an interim solution until we can get the remaining functionality onto the US server.

maccamob

Post by maccamob » 28 June 05 11:25 am

ideology wrote:.. until then what works for us is to tick the autologin box and it will log you in on each server automatically. not ideal but it's just an interim solution until we can get the remaining functionality onto the US server.
Sorry. Tried that but it still doesn't work.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 28 June 05 6:13 pm

ideology wrote:
Damo. wrote:Hide a cache -> list a cache produced: "Hotlist Error Unrecognised hotlist type."
we're having trouble reproducing that one. did we fix it with the above or is that something else?
Looks like it's fixed. Goes to the listing page now.

ideology

Post by ideology » 17 July 05 8:27 am

any more feedback on the beta site?
our memory is a bit rusty on what to do next. at this stage we are planning to do the search box and stats pages
other thoughts?

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 17 July 05 11:24 am

How about pop-ups and sponsor bars? :twisted:

Search bar would be a good next step. Can't think of anything else at the moment. Keep up the great, highly appreciated, work! :D