GARMIN GPS MAP 60 C

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
moocowmedia

GARMIN GPS MAP 60 C

Post by moocowmedia » 01 June 05 8:03 pm

Good Evening, well i picked up my first GPS today..a Garmin 60c..and so far it all lok good..once, i work it all out, and the software....

One problem though, i turned the unit on at work, and it showed my position in Sydney Harbour....I was about 500m away from the location....any ideas as what is going worong??

I would appreciate some feedback...

Moo

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 01 June 05 8:29 pm

Hi moocowmedia,

Three answers, though i believe number 3 would be more likely:

1. Inadequate time to acquire. Leave the GPS to initialise for around 15 minutes for first time use especially if turned off for extended periods or travelling >300 km or so with the unit off. The manual covers this with good detail.

2. "At work"....if you mean in/near a building you may have less than ideal reception and as such signals may be reflected off these structures and in turn produce inaccurate readings.

3. The base map is poor in certain areas especially river detail. This is due to the data quality obtained (most likely free :lol: ) as well as a possible marketing ploy to entice buyers to purchase an "upgrade" of mapping software. As such you may want to purchase either Mapsource Metroguide Australia or Mapsource City Navigator depending on your requirements.

In any case, make sure you read the manual thoroughly :P

Hope this helps.

Agsmky

moocowmedia

Post by moocowmedia » 01 June 05 9:43 pm

I think #2 might be right.....my work is right next door to channel 10, nova radio, and 2gb

moocowmedia

Post by moocowmedia » 01 June 05 9:44 pm

I think #2 might be right.....my work is right next door to channel 10, nova radio, and 2gb

Skippy&lambchops
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Skippy&lambchops » 01 June 05 11:44 pm

I was told the new Version 6 has Metroguide and City navigator combined. no need to buy 2 seperate maps anymore.

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 02 June 05 10:17 am

Hi moo.....

To check if #2 is the answer, try the following:

- Check the coordinates given against a paper/digital map or website such as NSW Lands Dept Maps. If the coordinates place you in the correct position, then it is more than likely the poor GPS map in this area.

- Record the coordinates given and then check back periodically at the same location. A multipath error will generally change throughout the day due to the satellite availability and their location. If the coordinates change noticably (guessing 50m or more) then the problem may be with coverage and your location.

For your information, the basemap places 1 saunders Street in the harbour :shock: The basemap sucks around this area, whereas MGA is pretty good, as would be expected. Unless you have bought software to go with your GPS, do not trust the basemap with your life :lol:

Regards

Agsmky

moocowmedia

Post by moocowmedia » 02 June 05 6:00 pm

Thanks so much to everyone...you are all amazing!

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 03 June 05 4:28 pm

moocowmedia wrote:I think #2 might be right.....my work is right next door to channel 10, nova radio, and 2gb
Hi Moo... I thought your work was at 2gb... :-)

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 03 June 05 7:49 pm

leek wrote:
moocowmedia wrote:I think #2 might be right.....my work is right next door to channel 10, nova radio, and 2gb
Hi Moo... I thought your work was at 2gb... :-)
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: LEEK LIVES :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

now back to our regular programming

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 04 June 05 9:32 am

I have noticed parked next to electrical transformers and when parked under the channel nine towers that:

(4) High level of electromagnetic electricity will disrupt you accuracy easily up to 500 meters. Ask any of the Red Ochre Guys who tried "Catharsis". A way point required them to measure the circumference of an electrical transformer but when they arrived it put then down the street 400+ meters.

My 2c -

The Bronze.
"I have $9.98 left"