Geocaching in Bali

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
deaning

Geocaching in Bali

Post by deaning » 16 May 05 2:46 pm

My first trip there and I was wondering why there were only 2 caches in Bali.

My question was soon answered! So many people! We decided because of our limited time to attempt the Bali Bull cache at Ujung Palace. This is a little known spot and quite an awesome sight and some 60km from Kuta where we were staying.

Our driver was a heck of a character with a great sense of humour. He insisted he had given a ride to an Aussie some weeks back that had a gps with street level maps of Bali?????

My magellan sprotrak color insisted we spent all our holiday at sea, I would be very interested in a Bali map unless he was pulling my leg...

Unfortunately 45 minutes of dense jungle and searching every inch of GZ and way beyond it seemed apparent the cache is no more. I have let the owners know and they will be returning there in August.

Wayan, our driver helped search enthusiatically and declared finally someone had played a great joke on me and what sort of idiot travels in near unbearable humidity for 3 1/2 hours to find a non existent treasure.

The area is well worth the visit and well on the way to Bali's other cache. Anyone heading there is welcome to our driver's number as he knows the area well.

The View over Ujung

The Bull and I

PS. I see a find has been logged but they did not have the site notes, so the bucket with the blue lid is still AWOL. I logged a DNF....next time!

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 16 May 05 7:09 pm

Nice pics!
Few caches in Bali because you rule out vacation Caches and see how many local people can afford a GPSr on an average income of USD$810 per annum (2003)

It's a luxury we uber-weathy can afford along with the time to spend caching!
Went to Nepal last year and there was only 3 caches in the whole country. GNI there is under USD$200pa!
Last edited by Damo. on 16 May 05 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aloysius
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by aloysius » 16 May 05 7:43 pm

perhaps the imaginary friends could perform the maintenance:
this caches owner wrote: ":D When I put the cache in Bali they would only approve it if I could prove that it could be maintained. Acouple of white lies fixed that. They want to know that a local will be maintaining it. Good luck. :D"
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... c&start=60

:roll: :wink: [/quote]

Team Red Roo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Roo » 16 May 05 9:44 pm

There's at least two other active caches in Bali. One at Tanah Lot (on the west coast) and the other on a mountain top at Bedugal (in the centre of the island). Try them out next time you head over there. The one at Bedugal is a great hike, and on a fine day the view from the top will be unsurpassed. :D

ROBTAS
1150 or more Caches found

Post by ROBTAS » 17 May 05 11:35 pm

aloysius wrote:perhaps the imaginary friends could perform the maintenance:
this caches owner wrote: ":D When I put the cache in Bali they would only approve it if I could prove that it could be maintained. Acouple of white lies fixed that. They want to know that a local will be maintaining it. Good luck. :D"
As the cache owner I will be going back in August with a certain well known SA cacher! I am still at a loss as to why so few people have tried to find it given the magnificent place it is at.
Tanah lot is a great cache because of where it is and the ingenious hide which is muggle unfriendly.

elmofreak
100 or more tracks walked

Post by elmofreak » 18 May 05 2:09 pm

I found the Tanah Lot Cache either muggled or destroyed (i'm betting on the second) and it was basically lucky i had a container with me that i could replace. I think with vacation caches like that - it kind of relies on the kindness of visitors - making them everyones responsibility (that is if we want them to stay there).
<p>
Mind that cliff while yer there tho.....
<p>
Elmo

ROBTAS

Post by ROBTAS » 18 May 05 4:33 pm

elmofreak wrote:I found the Tanah Lot Cache either muggled or destroyed (i'm betting on the second) and it was basically lucky i had a container with me that i could replace. I think with vacation caches like that - it kind of relies on the kindness of visitors - making them everyones responsibility (that is if we want them to stay there).
<p>
Mind that cliff while yer there tho.....
<p>
Elmo
The cliff is what made it interesting and almost in view of a lot of muggles. The views around there are amazing especially at night. Of all the caches I have done this one stands out the most.

deaning

Post by deaning » 19 May 05 1:56 am

I always go with a cache repair kit when caching in Oz (after a steep learning curve)...why not in Bali?

My dumb mistake. Hot, late, forgot, whatever. Not good enough. I figured I had not pegged it after going over GZ many times.

What is the etiquette here?

elmofreak

Post by elmofreak » 20 May 05 11:06 am

If you were the first dnf - then there is no guarentee the cache isn't still there and you just looked in all the wrong places - in the case of Tanah-Lot - i found the obvious remnants of the destroyed cache in-situ so a) i knew the cache had been destroyed and b) i knew where the cache was supposed to be placed - so i was able to happily go in and fix it. In the case of simply not finding it - there isn't much you can do:D

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 21 May 05 7:30 pm

I haven't been to Bali too.

The Bronze.
"How can a lie be white?"

Team Raider
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Raider » 21 May 05 8:32 pm

Bronze wrote:I haven't been to Bali too.

The Bronze.
Well when you go don't forget your boogie board :twisted:

ROBTAS

Post by ROBTAS » 22 May 05 9:40 am

.[/quote]
Well when you go don't forget your boogie board :twisted:[/quote]

:x I wont even be taking a surfboard swap! :twisted:

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 22 May 05 10:19 am

I won't even be going.

Too much to see in my own country.

B.

Blaze_au
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Blaze_au » 28 May 05 10:07 am

To be honest... I woul dbe too afraid to check a cache over there... who knows what you might find inside...

I couldn't see the courts over there understanding goecaching....

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 28 May 05 11:27 am

Bronze wrote:I haven't been to Bali too.
I've never been to Bali either, and won't be going as long as Schapelle is in jail there:

1) As a protest;
2) Because I'm too afraid that the same thing could happen to me!