Geocache haters

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 15 February 05 6:14 pm

He's blaming an entire sport for the allegedly thoughtless actions of a few. His email address is at the bottom, how about everyone calmly and polite challenge his failure to connect geocaching directly with this sacred site or some guide book. No one caches in groups of 27 (do they?), so perhaps he'd best focus his attention on where they came from.

- R

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 15 February 05 6:21 pm

Mind Socket wrote: No one caches in groups of 27 (do they?)
- R
Lol, Ihave once cached in a large group of people on a event. But thats once in a blue moon here. But in the USA there are 5 times as many people that go out caching compared to here. A frien of mine lives in the USA and I have heard from her that ther is 67 caches just in her local neighbourhood in california. So if there is that many caches.. How many cachers live in CA? There event are somewhat larger than ours, and I do belive that they do go in fairly large groups of 10 - 20 at times. This cache has probably been here for a fair whack of time, So yes unfortunately us cachers have probably worn the tracks in all around GZ. But as I state before. Only a kind email would have solved the problem fairly quickly.. But of course big caching groups is "only in america :D :lol:

aussiecoder
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by aussiecoder » 15 February 05 10:30 pm

From the "do as I say, not as I do" department.

Any one person walking around will cause damage - if he's so worried about the sacred site - why is he there !

It seems to me this guy is peeved because his "exclusive club" has disolved.

But he was able to find a group - with a name and a web site - a little harder to nail down all the dudes who bought the guide book. We are just a big easy target.

I don't think communciations with him would be worth the effort.

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 03 March 05 9:39 am

Looks like this guy has now backed down on his stance a bit... once he found out what geocaching really is about:

"If folks are out there exercising and hauling off trash left by other, less considerate recreationists, I'm all for it."

http://www.counterpunch.org/donnelly03022005.html

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 20 March 05 3:39 am

Back pedal....Back Pedal....Back Pedal.

I agree with those who said if he was worried about the 'caching' people trampling all over a 'sacred' site- then he should have contacted the people who are in charge of the area (If it was a Native American sacred site of some sort- there should be a tribe, or council of people in 'guardianship' of the land so to speak.)

They then could have investigated the claims, and taken the appropriate action. Not some loony making outrageous claims about geocachers doing all the damage. How about this statistic...so long as the population worldwide continues to grow- the potential for all areas to be 'exclusive/untouched' runs at a phenomenally small percentage.

And as geocachers- its just as in our interest to preserve the natural state of the land- without it, our sport would resort to hiding caches in elevator shafts and in wardrobes! (Extreme example) But you get what I mean.

We'd be living in a world of 'virtuals', there'd be nowhere to place caches, and all our favourite beaches, lookouts, bushwalks etc would be non existant.

My two cents worth,

Marie

J. Edgar

Post by J. Edgar » 20 March 05 10:55 am

Okay, my turn. I'm a newbie at this point in time, and entitled to opine. In fact, due to my lack of experience in GeoCaching, I'd hope that I can maintain a good degree of objectivity.

I read the Michael Donnelly article. And, aside from his radical suggestion to:
Michael Donnelly - CounterPunch, 14/02/05 wrote:perhaps it's time to close this "sport" down?
I pretty much agreed with the majority of his stance on this topic.

aussiecoder wrote:Any one person walking around will cause damage - if he's so worried about the sacred site - why is he there !
Sacred sites are there to be used for a spiritual purpose. A sacred site is akin to a church, mosque or synagogue. It's a meeting place for the people to commune with the supernatural.

Stonehenge (a sacred site) was closed down for some time, due to degredation from excessive use by visitors.

Would you place a cache in church?

I'm glad that, as the result of education by sensitive GeoCachers, Mr Donnelly's position has changed.

Finally,
Team Red Devil wrote:...so long as the population worldwide continues to grow- the potential for all areas to be 'exclusive/untouched' runs at a phenomenally small percentage.
A sad reality. Very sad.

As I'm still new at this GeoCaching lark, I'm not converse with the ideas of others, but since I've been looking at this as a pastime I'd like to do, I've always envisioned it to be an Eco-sport. One where I can take my children into nature and teach them the rights and wrongs of interacting with our environment. I remind them that we are animals. We are part of nature. We have a connection with all living things, and they deserve our respect. :)

Slianté

Jamie

Disclaimer: Although I'm a suit wearing professional by day, when the sun goes down I'm a closet, hippy, pagan.

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 20 March 05 5:29 pm

I've always envisioned it to be an Eco-sport. One where I can take my children into nature and teach them the rights and wrongs of interacting with our environment. I remind them that we are animals. We are part of nature. We have a connection with all living things, and they deserve our respect.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Hey now thats a nice way to put it. Eco-sport. I like it. <br>
<br>
Marie