new state pages [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 29 January 05 3:52 pm

ideology wrote:good point. we just had a thought: most people stick inside a state, so instead of states being the major tabs, you could choose your state through a drop-down box in the header. then the tabs could be simply caches, stats, websites, etc. the drop-down would default to the state in your profile
<p>
Hate to do just a "me too" posting, but I like the sound of that too.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 30 January 05 12:51 am

Thanks for all the work you are putting in i!. The site is certainly coming along in leaps and bounds. <br>
The search function is a lot more useful than the drop down "Keyword" or "Username" which didn't seem to work very well on the secondary site. But all I really used to use to search was postcode. Type in my home postcode, tick the "exclude already found" box and away I went. Will this function be added to GCA later?

ideology

Post by ideology » 19 February 05 3:41 pm

we've revised the state pages (hopefully!) based on your feedback, especially swampy and cached

to reduce complexity, the state pages are now split into
- gca caches
- all caches
- stats
- websites

as we mentioned above, most people work within a state, once you selet your state, the tabs will navigate you between cache listings, websites and stats.

if you see an "All" tab, you're looking at all caches in the system. to select your state, click "All" and select your state. we'd like to put in a drop-down menu for this. mind socket made a lovely one. it was a thing of beauty. unfortunately, we, err, accidently deleted it. we hope that he remembers what he did so we can reinstate it!

aushiker: we've reinstated ytd links as you requested. team logos are displayed for leaders as well as on the sites page

webguy: we've reinstated the historical links and beefed them up so you can point to any month you like

horus: we've reinstated the link to the complete state listing

swampy, we've put gca-listed caches on a separate page to make them more prominent

things to do
- re-implement (computer)caching the stats
- fix the green highlighting of gca caches
- popular caches as aushiker suggested
- put cache type, difficulty etc on the page as caughtatwork suggested
- postcode as damo suggested

we hope you like it. please let us know it goes

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 19 February 05 4:01 pm

ideology wrote:... most people work within a state, once you selet your state, the tabs will navigate you between cache listings, websites and stats.
Is the cacher page supposed to include a tab for your 'home' state? If so, ours is wrong (shows NSW, not VIC as in our profile, although we do get up that way now and again :wink: ).<p>

Edit: Ahh. Ignore that. It seems to retain a tab for the last state you have looked at.

crew 153
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 19 February 05 4:57 pm

Is it just me or has the log listing got lost?

ideology

Post by ideology » 19 February 05 5:40 pm

oops, sorry, we accidently zapped the logs link. we've added it back.

maccamob, it currently defaults to "All" but we'll change it to default to your profile or where you left off last time

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 19 February 05 6:37 pm

Looks good, you're doing a great job ideology!!!

ideology

Post by ideology » 20 February 05 10:21 am

thanks garner

we made some modifications to save your current state view selection across sessions. so now if you browsing tasmania, next time you log on, you'll also have tasmania selected.

this function uses cookies, so for it to work, you need to allow cookies from geocaching.com.au

let us know how it goes

aussiecoder
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by aussiecoder » 20 February 05 10:30 am

Click the "all gpx" link on the cache page and you get a 404 (page not found) error.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 20 February 05 10:48 am

aussiecoder wrote:Click the "all gpx" link on the cache page and you get a 404 (page not found) error.
all.gpx does not exist as yet. Meanwhile, if you manually remove it from the link when you get the 404 page and then refresh you will get the page with the state files.

crew 153

Post by crew 153 » 20 February 05 11:22 am

My state cache keeps defaulting back to All.
If I select Qld from the state list then select Stats, I get All stats.

ideology

Post by ideology » 20 February 05 11:27 am

crew153, that's consistent with blocking cookies. can you please check your cookie settings?

aussiecoder, riblit's correct: there is no all file yet. the nsw file is already half a megabyte so we haven't put an all.gpx file on our sydney server. once the new menu structure settles down, we'll get ou server in the USA going and serve the gpx files off that

aussiecoder
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by aussiecoder » 20 February 05 11:38 am

ideology wrote: aussiecoder, riblit's correct: there is no all file yet. the nsw file is already half a megabyte so we haven't put an all.gpx file on our sydney server. once the new menu structure settles down, we'll get ou server in the USA going and serve the gpx files off that
OK, I wasn't sure if it was intentional.

If it had said "coming soon", I would not have bothered commenting on it.

I certainly understand the size implications.

crew 153

Post by crew 153 » 20 February 05 12:18 pm

I have had no problems with cookies from other sites. I am no expert at computer setup and don't believe that I should have to change my settings to allow this operation. It was working ok yesterday.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 20 February 05 12:31 pm

crew 153 wrote:I have had no problems with cookies from other sites. I am no expert at computer setup and don't believe that I should have to change my settings to allow this operation. It was working ok yesterday.
There is a quick test <a href=https://signin.mcgill.ca/cookietest/>here</a> that will tell you if your browser is accepting cookies.