New forum suggestion

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Separate on-topic and off-topic forum sections?

Yes
56%
No
33%
I have another suggestion
11%

Total votes: 45

Mind Socket

New forum suggestion

Post by Mind Socket » 10 February 05 1:50 pm

A number of forums have a separate area for offtopic threads, anything and everything goes sort of thing.

I'd like to propose for this forum that General Chit-Chat remain for this purpose, and that a new area be created for Geocaching specifc Chit-Chat and any existing on-topic threads be moved into it.

What say you, the people?

- Rog

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 10 February 05 2:14 pm

If it's not broken . . . .

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 10 February 05 2:46 pm

Have to admit we regularly go way of topic in threads :oops: :roll: . I have come into some threads and found them interesting even though they have moved from their original issue.

I think all stickys should include a link to were they came from. This could allow "mods" to cut without killing continuity.

We could end up like the secondary site :twisted:

My 2cents

Mix

Post by Mix » 10 February 05 2:51 pm

Either way, I do post off-topic quite a bit and if it helps others sort out their lives I am happy to confine it to an off-topic forum. I read all the forums anyway. This has never been an issue as the GCA forums have always moved so slowly. Now however it is getting a bit more crowded and so moving fasted. I donÂ’t think itÂ’s absolutely needed yet, but it will be sometime so go ahead and start it now.

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 10 February 05 3:23 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:If it's not broken . . . .

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 February 05 3:50 pm

Hmmm. Smacks of the US Nazi approach.
Mod doesn't like that subject so shunts it away, or closes it as being 'off topic', even if only slightly off.
I like our open friendly approach where a hijack can occur and no-one gets snarky.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 10 February 05 5:08 pm

I'm not suggesting closing any threads by any stretch of the imagination, nor moving them if they stray offtopic. As you know, all the mods here take a hands off approach. I just think it's useful sometimes to be able to read the forums quickly without going into every thread that might or might not be relevant to geocaching. I stick to Chit-Chat and NSW only if I'm in a rush.

I know that many threads stray off-topic, and that's ok, I just thought it might be good for those links to funnies etc that are clearly not geocaching related from the outset.

Oh well, let's see how the discussion/voting pans out.

- R

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 10 February 05 7:20 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:If it's not broken . . . .
<br><br>exactly

Geof

Post by Geof » 10 February 05 9:17 pm

I just think it's useful sometimes to be able to read the forums quickly without going into every thread that might or might not be relevant to geocaching.
I'v found good* information in threads were the heading has little to do with the good* information I gain as the topic has changed from the uninteresting* heading.

That could be one case for turning the thread into a new topic when it changes. But be sure to leave a link to were it came from.
If it's not broken . . . .
.......there will come a day when it is but till then keep it as it is maybe.
*to me that is

dak's Emu Mob
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 10 February 05 9:51 pm

G'day,
<p>
I agree with you Rog. I would welcome a new Chit Chat area that was for Geocaching only.
<p>
The current Chit Chat area allows just about anything to be discussed. Sobeit, but I would still like to have a Chit Chat area that is for geocaching-related material only. Bring it on!
<p>
As regards the comment "if it ain't broke": in my opinion, from the point of view of geocaching, it is 'broke'.
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak

Mix

Post by Mix » 10 February 05 10:03 pm

How about this, from now of I am going to put this :mrgreen: before the title of any threads I start that are way off-topic and at least that way if your busy at least you can ignore my off-topic threads.

Geof

Post by Geof » 11 February 05 9:04 am

:idea: Just had an idea this morning.

Could there be an option that the thread starter can select that:

a: lets the thread run for say 2 weeks then deletes it. or

b: lets the thread run until it gets no posts for 2 weeks then dumps it. or

c: none of the above as some threads should stay.

Type a&b threads should be clearly identified to the posters so they know it will go.

We seem to get many posts on the same thing from time to time. I have tryed the search function and often found it of little use but may be I don't know how to drive it. Could it support wildcards, "fffff hhhh yyyyy wwww", "rrrrr" "hhhhhh" type searches and so on thus cuting down on new threads on old topics. I tryed this type of search but it seems to come up with anything containing any of the words in any order.

Do we have a graph of server space used for the forum over say the last 12 months?

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 11 February 05 9:10 am

I think my point is still being missed. As far as I know, there is no problem, nor am I implying one, with server space, discussions topics that have been covered before, searching the archives or threads surviving.

All I'm suggesting is 2 areas instead of 1, separating the geocaching chit-chat from the non-geocaching chit-chat. Nothing else would change. Deleting threads simply isn't an option as they are another kind of log/blog/memory/history that should be preserved.

- R

Geof

Post by Geof » 11 February 05 9:20 am

Mind Socket:
I have another suggestion
Thats were the non yes or no comments are coming from :)

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 11 February 05 10:08 am

Yes, I wasn't expecting people to suggest anything only remotely related to the specific question. Live and learn. :)

I suggest beer o' clock. There's a Canadian blonde bubbling away under my house. :roll: