Hints galore

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 31 January 05 10:00 pm

Personally I log just about every attempt I do, succesfull or not.
It gives the cache owner a bit of an idea what is happening to his cache and also can indicate a problem..
finally it is a good way for me to record my caching trips..

I have used the phone a friend option once.. but only because I ran out of time (leaving the country) and having visited the spot multiple times on my own...

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 31 January 05 11:18 pm

SNIFTER wrote:Another one is "found the cache but it was 10 meters out". Pity these people were not around when we only had 2 digits not 3 like now.
I'm all for co-ord corrections, esp for difficult to find caches. After all, that's what the co-ord correction feature in the cache log is for. If enough finders post the same co-ords you can be fairly sure it's out. Getting better accuracy on your co-ords can only be a good thing. I though this was a fairly widely accepted and common part of caching etiquette?

Incorrect co-ords can lead to excessive and undesirable damage at GZ too.

EcoDave :)

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 01 February 05 12:48 am

Hey - I have no problem with people logging as many DNF's for Buckleys as they like.

When you attempt Buckleys - you walk away with just that!

Bronze.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 01 February 05 8:59 am

swampgecko wrote:ie... MS04, which BTW I finally finished today, Like sitting under the tree staring at the clue,
You'll make a hypocrite out of me Swampy. :) You've been at this for so long, I couldn't stand by and watch much longer. Congrats.

- R

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 01 February 05 10:15 am

This is an issue that has grated on me for a while :evil:

It does seem that more are 'calling the help-line' rather than giving a cache a decent shake.

The thought of calling someone after spending a long time searching has crossed my mind - but I've resisted the urge. Having a challenging, annoying, or frustrating hunt makes the find even more rewarding when eventually found.

Sometimes after logging a DNF, I've received an unsolicited hint from the cache owner, and once after several atempts I asked Biggles Bear to "throw me a frickin' bone" in my DNF log. (they did, but then the cache got muggled before I could get back to it :( )

Those that pick up the phone and get hints without having made a decent atempt at finding the cache, or are too lazy to backtrack (on a multi) are just kidding themselves that they have had a real find.

Maybe we should two categories for finds - Assisted and Unassisted ??

aussiecoder
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by aussiecoder » 01 February 05 10:52 am

I don't know people well enough to call :cry:

If I push the "goto" button on my GPS, that's my indication that I must log a visit (DNF or otherwise). I'll try and perform 2 DNFs before asking the owner for additional hints. So far, none of the cache owners have been to offended by my emailing them for help. As a cache owner myself, I'd not be too upset if I was asked for help after reasonable effort is expended.

I cache alone, but I could see that those who cache with children may need to make sure they find so there is not a riot in the back seat :lol:

I've also found that 2nd (or 3rd) vistits sometimes give slightly differing readings on the GPS, and I've found it on the return trip because the GPS has taken me somewhere slightly different - not always closer, but different enough to cause some lateral thinking on my part.

Dingbats
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Dingbats » 01 February 05 12:05 pm

I think getting on the help line too early does devalue the experience for everyone - yourself, the cache owner and other finders. I've done it and been very grateful for assistance on some occassions, especially when I was new to the sport and inexperience. But to contrast, recently I phoned a friend without putting in enough of an effort and I was very disappointed when I discovered that the cache was very cleverly disguised and that I had just spoilt it for myself. :cry:

rhinogeo
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 01 February 05 12:17 pm

aussiecoder wrote: I could see that those who cache with children may need to make sure they find so there is not a riot in the back seat :lol:
<br>
A DNF or two would give the kiddies the opportunity to learn some stoicism, and that in geocaching, as in life, things don't always go as you plan them :twisted:

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Post by Team Pathfinder » 01 February 05 12:48 pm

We have just returned from a cache hunting holiday to Perth over 7000klms extra on the dial. (cannot spell odo) :lol:

Anyway, I am wading through writing up the logs now. I always add the DNF's - sometimes the experience of the hunt has been something to write about, sometimes it may trigger an owner to check a possibly missing cache.

As for an ask a friend - we did it once on this trip as a multicache (which we had attempted 3 times) definately had the second last component missing. This was an absolutely last result and we had enjoyed the hike so much and read so much about the final part of the cache we really wanted the opportunity to finish it off. I sort of consider this OK since we live 1700klms from the city and only have a very limited opportunity to join in the hunt. I should add that one waypoint was definately missing so the cache would have been impossible to complete.

:)

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 01 February 05 1:30 pm

Hi

I always log DNF if I did not find. Seems important to me, both for the owner's information and fellow cachers. I don't see it as being an embarrassment or anything. With multi-caches, I might post a note if I am doing it in stages. I have also logged one DNF for one, cause I haven't been able to get past the third waypoint despite looking three times. I haven't asked for help on that either, but have been given some guidance which will require me to still do some hunting that is for sure.

As to hints, I think I have asked once when I just couldn't get it after two or three goes and have been offered assistance after a couple of DNFs on a cache.

As a owner, if someone takes a reasonable shot at it, I don't mind assisting.

Regards
Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on 01 February 05 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teamkittens
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by teamkittens » 01 February 05 1:31 pm

We always log a DNF if we put any effort into finding it and its clearly not there, or just so cunningly hidden that a long search couldn't reveal it. The prescence of muggles preventing a decent search we consider not worth logging, except maybe as a note as we were never really able to search for it anyway. If the experience was worthwhile and effort was expended such as our winter attempt at <A href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... edegook</a> we definantly write it up as a DNF.

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 01 February 05 2:52 pm

I have requested a hint a few times. Usualy to prevent undue environmental damage. I am still watching one cache in the hope that someone else will try but I suspect my DNF is making them avoid it :(

I have an upcomming cache that will be marked with a ribbon on tree to avoid environmental damage.

Aushiker
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 01 February 05 2:57 pm

[quote="Geof"I have an upcomming cache that will be marked with a ribbon on tree to avoid environmental damage.[/quote]

Have done that myself.

Andrew

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 01 February 05 8:15 pm

I have rang for help a couple of times. Usually when its a tricky puzzle or when something thats supposed to be easy to find becomes hard because of weather, muggles, or maybe just time itself. If the location is obvious I will write up a DNF, and just watch the cache to see if sombody else finds it or if the owner replies in the meantime.

Hounddog
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Hounddog » 02 February 05 11:25 am

You Know,

You could always really buck the system and not log your finds as well.

That'll really upset people. :D

I'm serious! Some of the best logs I have read have been "Log book Only" I often discover them when returning for cache maintenance.