Subscriber-only caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Subscriber-only caches

Post by Map Monkey » 25 January 05 2:30 pm

hi all,

Why do subscriber-only caches exist? Several have popped up of late and i am confused why would people want to make them PMO :?

I am yet to see a cache that makes good use of this feature (though i have not seem them all :wink: ).....ie great reward, ultra-special location :twisted: etc etc.

BTW i am not singling out any one cache, just the lot of them :roll:

Agsmky

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 25 January 05 2:33 pm

Perceived value for being a paying member.
Keyword perceived.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 25 January 05 2:50 pm

I haven't seen any, fortunately, and I never intend to find one (I am a premium member). Caches should be available to all, limited only by the potential finder's own skills and abilities.

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 25 January 05 3:02 pm

Hi

I haven't seen any but have contemplated placing one, well for a limited period, i.e., until first find. Just thought it worth rewarding those who pay up to support the game.

Andrew

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 25 January 05 3:07 pm

Hmmm ... temporary caches are typically frowned upon (it's even against the rules on gc.com). As a premium member, I am paying for the services that I want, not to support the game. Support for the game, for me, comes through providing direct benefit to other cachers ... all of them.

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 25 January 05 3:26 pm

Subscriber-only caches (or Member Only Caches, MOCs) appear to have been created in response to requests in the gc.com forums. Several people complained their caches were being deliberately muggled, so MOCs were created to prevent them from being seen by all and sundry. The assumption being ... only serious cachers would stump for the membership fee, therefore foiling the few out to spoil things for everyone else.
<p>
While they appear to have been effective in some areas, they haven't met with 100% acceptance everywhere. Some people create caches as MOCs for an initial period and then revert them to 'normal' caches (rather than temporary, as Mindsocket suggested).
<p>
The official response is that MOCs were a requested feature - personally, I don't think they gel with the other site 'policy' of not dividing the caching population into 'haves' and 'have nots'.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 25 January 05 3:26 pm

Mind Socket wrote:Hmmm ... temporary caches are typically frowned upon (it's even against the rules on gc.com).
I didn't say anthing about temporary caches ... I think you have the wrong end of the stick ....

I am thinking about it making it a members only cache until it is found for the first time, then it will be opened up to all.

Andrew

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 25 January 05 3:37 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Mind Socket wrote:Hmmm ... temporary caches are typically frowned upon (it's even against the rules on gc.com).
I didn't say anthing about temporary caches ... I think you have the wrong end of the stick ....
Indeed I do. My apologies for that. :)

- R

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 25 January 05 4:09 pm

Well, your singling out MY caches since I am the only one that does PMO caches :o

My reasoning behind making caches PMO is that I believe it gives something back to the people who support the sport. All caches I release are PMO for the first 4-7 days and then are released to the public. This gives members a chance to get a FTF. While a cache is in PMO mode my mobile number is listed as a cache log so if people run into problems they can call me while at the location for clues/help.

I donÂ’t know how anyone could argue with my reasons for doing so and I wonÂ’t be changing the practice anytime soon :P

Currently I only have 1 cache in PMO mode (GCMJ3G) and in a few days it wonÂ’t be. If you really want to see the cache then visit the GCA site and it will give you co-ords plus all the logs. You just canÂ’t log a find on GC.

In saying this I will still happily take any calls from cachers who run into trouble regardless of their membership status... :)

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 25 January 05 4:11 pm

Sounds like a fair compromise, if that's what floats your boat. :)

- R

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 25 January 05 4:23 pm

Currently I only have 1 cache in PMO mode (GCMJ3G) and in a few days it wonÂ’t be.
I guess I better get out there tonight then (if the rain holds out) before the hords start coming for it :-)

Note: Sniper also posts his mobile phone number in the cache logs when his caches are in PMO mode too... this is a very generous offer I feel & is a good use of the PMO 'facility'.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 25 January 05 4:47 pm

Mind Socket wrote: As a premium member, I am paying for the services that I want, not to support the game.
I guess to me and ignoring other means of support for the moment, paying up the dosh is part of supporting the game because it costs money to run all those servers etc ... now here in Australia we are very fortunate in that Ideology pay for the gca.com servers etc, but not everyone is always in a position to that.

Thus to me, the MOC cuts both ways. It gives premium members first cut at the find and then once it is opened up, all geocachers get a chance to find it and thus it is another contribution to the game as a whole .... win win :)

BTW I haven't actually done this, just considering it.

Andrew

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 25 January 05 5:35 pm

Funny, I brought up this same idea about 12 months ago and got howlled down for it. People's atitudes change over time and new players coming all time help's also.

Go for it I say... I would do the same if I was still making use of my premium membership and listing caches on the secondary site.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 25 January 05 5:51 pm

Swampgecko, a lot of people mentioned their negative thoughts on the idea to me and I just said what I have mentioned here. That said, there are still a few grumble bums in Queensland who donÂ’t like it.

The cache in question:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 219aed3a72

Thats the 6th cache I have done with a PMO status on release.

Is GCA going to follow with the ability for PMO caches?

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 25 January 05 7:43 pm

Lt Sniper,

i wasn't singling you out :? I have no problem with what you do , just that i don't understand why people do it.....when it is explained, it makes sort of sense :lol: each to their own , i suppose.....

BTW i am NOT one of those Qlders you refer to that has a major problem with the idea.......therefore you should not imply that just Qlders are against it :roll: just as i haven't singled anyone out. It's just a question, not an attack......

Anyhow, As a premium member myself all caches come up the same (even PQ, GSAK etc doesn't distinguish the difference, correct ??) therefore there is really no difference to me........maybe that's why i don't see the reason why :lol:

Agsmky