What to do when a muggle catches you?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

What to do when a muggle catches you?

Post by Map Monkey » 21 January 05 10:39 pm

Just thinking aloud.......

What does one do when a group of young muggles (insert: troublesome youths) catches oneself at a cache accidently or otherwise?

Whilst there has been discussion on the proactive approach to muggles, i am interested in peoples thoughts on the reactive approach....when we have been busted :shock: Would you contact the owner and suggest a slight location change.....or just suck it and see :twisted:

Regards

Agsmky

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 21 January 05 10:46 pm

Do not replace. Walk away with the cache. Come back later and replace if the coast is clear.

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 22 January 05 3:08 pm

If they didn't see you reach for it, but you have it in your hands when they see you- See Rabbitto's Comment Above. <br>
<br>
And if they saw you take it- then take the cache, leave, and email the owner letting them know that you were seen, and ask them what they'd like you to do. <br>
<br>
Marie

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 22 January 05 10:55 pm

Some one took one of my caches home once. I am glad they did. I took one of MR Coffees for a ride and returned later. I'v taked some others for a walk.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 23 January 05 10:50 am

A few weeks ago I found myself at the southern end of lake macquarie. Took half and hour to find a retrieve the cache in amongst the kids fishing, sunbaking and families picnicing. Seemed as though the muggles were having a "I have no magic and I proud" convention.

After finding a picnic table near where the kids were on the play ground equipment I make my way back to the GZ when my eldest (6) yells out:

"Hey Dad, did you find the cache, what colour was it and was there anything cool inside".

After that little outburst we have to leave and return an hour or so later (after icecream) and replace the cache. Even then it was hard so i had to set the camera up next to GZ and take a photo of myself and the boys doing the tourst thing.

What should have been a 15 minute cache took just under 2 1/2 hours.

If there were too many muggles I would probably take it with me and post it to the owner or rehide it for the owner to locate it nearby.

Bronze.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 23 January 05 11:32 am

Bronze wrote:
After finding a picnic table near where the kids were on the play ground equipment I make my way back to the GZ when my eldest (6) yells out:<br>

"Hey Dad, did you find the cache, what colour was it and was there anything cool inside".

2" wide sticking plaster is ideal to prevent this situation :twisted:

SNIFTER
500 or more caches logged

Post by SNIFTER » 23 January 05 1:45 pm

Or a sock :twisted:

ideology

Post by ideology » 23 January 05 1:49 pm

leek has a foolproof technique to ensure that muggles don't come anywhere near - he acts as if he's about to, err, take a leak!

needless to say, the muggles go running!

SNIFTER

Post by SNIFTER » 23 January 05 1:57 pm

Hounddog has a good one. Not as good as a leak but he wears a quarantine vest. That keeps them away.

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 23 January 05 7:09 pm

SNIFTER wrote:Hounddog has a good one. Not as good as a leak but he wears a quarantine vest. That keeps them away.
I never tought of that idea. Where do I get one of those. It would get the muggles away from areas where you gotta get to GZ and you cant because muggles are sitting right next to it. But I usually get cache in hand and walk away. Once the muggles are gone I replace. It has worked well. Some people are interested and I have told some about geocaching. Just today actually, he said hmm sounds adventurous.. i should get into that too.

Geof

Post by Geof » 23 January 05 9:39 pm

Before I started caching I had the chance to get a "danger orange" vest. I'm kicking my self I didn't.

2KsAway
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by 2KsAway » 23 January 05 10:53 pm

Orange vests come in handy. Mr K had some in the car for work. Attempted a cache but with to many people around it looked impossible until i came up with a brain wave. Orange vest and a garbage bag picking up rubbish around GZ.

Found the cache, made the log/swap, area around GZ clean and another cache to log.

Kylie

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 24 January 05 6:34 am

An orange Vest, red tool box and a torch, coupled with King Gee work wear and a Hilux Ute that just happens to look like a typical contractor's vehicle works wonders, saved my hide on a number of occasions.

Also there is nothing like a good bluff, I was doing a Leek/Mindsocket effort called "dealer wins". I was in the Northern Suburbs of Sydney, examining a likely location, which happened to be a 36inch water supply pipe. I was still in my work uniform, a high profile government department. I was approached by a muggle wanting to know what I was doing.... I didn't stand up to face him I just kept going (as the badges on my uniform would have given the game away) and buffed my way through it by saying I was an inspector for Sydney water and was examining the pipe for leaks... This was about the time Sydney Water was coming under fire for enforcing water restrictions and having some major water issues of their own :twisted:

The Rats
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by The Rats » 24 January 05 7:39 am

swampgecko wrote:I was an inspector for Sydney water and was examining the pipe for leaks...
<P>Do you want a job? :lol: :lol: