Locationless Caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Goldenwattle
10000 or more caches found

Locationless Caches

Post by Goldenwattle » 24 July 18 7:35 pm

I know it's each to their own, but does anyone else feel the same as I do about locationless caches? When I first discovered them I thought they were fun challenges and I could 'tick' them off, but now so many have been published and continue to be published, the shear numbers of them has become too overwhelming and the result is the interest I had in them has now become almost no interest in them. Am I alone with this, or do others too feel this way, when notice of yet another one published arrives in the in-box. I now delete without reading. Too, too, many. It has become pointless to me. Okay, I might be alone with this, but I just wondered about how others felt about so many locationless caches, which makes the challenge beyond a challenge.

ziggiau
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Twitter: ziggiau

Re: Locationless Caches

Post by ziggiau » 24 July 18 8:00 pm

I'm feeling the same way Goldenwattle. I used to be a massive advocate for locationless, and in principal, I still like the idea of them, but sifting through the ginormous list tough. I also run out of steam when it comes time to log them - a little easier when using Geocube, but it still requires that little bit of extra processing.

What if we could categorise/tag each of the locationless caches to help group them? Any other ideas of how to order them for easier accessibility?

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 24 July 18 8:08 pm

Yet another published...

cantanga
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by cantanga » 25 July 18 11:44 pm

I don't mind them, I do enjoy them. But... I have no idea what to look for anymore. As you mentioned there are so many. Even if I do manage to remember something to get a photo of I can't find the page to log as there are lots that are cryptically named. An example off the top of my head is cheeter (cheeta? cheater?cheata? I can't remember the spelling), from memory its about semi's without the trailer. No way on earth I could find that in the list to log it if I couldn't remember the story they added to the description.
These days it's just a fluke that I happened to notice a locationless on my occasional scroll through list that I remember having a photo of. Luckily phones date stamp and geolocate photos so I can back date the log.
So yes I find them a little pointless these days, although in honesty no more pointless than the millions of traditionals just put out so someone can make a powertrail/achieve some challenge/ feel good about placing a mint container under a rock.

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 26 July 18 12:47 am

cantanga wrote:I don't mind them, I do enjoy them. But... I have no idea what to look for anymore. As you mentioned there are so many. Even if I do manage to remember something to get a photo of I can't find the page to log as there are lots that are cryptically named. An example off the top of my head is cheeter (cheeta? cheater?cheata? I can't remember the spelling), from memory its about semi's without the trailer. No way on earth I could find that in the list to log it if I couldn't remember the story they added to the description.
These days it's just a fluke that I happened to notice a locationless on my occasional scroll through list that I remember having a photo of. Luckily phones date stamp and geolocate photos so I can back date the log.
So yes I find them a little pointless these days, although in honesty no more pointless than the millions of traditionals just put out so someone can make a powertrail/achieve some challenge/ feel good about placing a mint container under a rock.
Yes, I find that frustrating and I usually give up and don't log. I know there is a suitable locationless for a photograph I have taken, but if has become too hard to find. After a few experiences like that I have almost given up logging locationless. If one I know I have a photograph for, appears on the home page it might get logged, but that is mostly all. And they are still being published making the situation harder...lately it appears mostly by one very keen locationless cache publisher.

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 27 July 18 1:52 pm

I still check for new ones a couple of times a week. They are by far my largest number of finds. I check out the new ones, decide if I'm interested, whether they're attainable & either ignore them or hope that I can remember them. I decided a while ago only to record one find then move the Loc to my Ignore List, which has a great many on it. The nomenclature often leaves a lot to be desired & makes it difficult as you say. Thanks to Cybergran V for adding so many as you can decide whether to look for them or not.

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 27 July 18 6:13 pm

As essentially "the only GCA geocacher in the village" locationless are fun when we have games. I enjoy getting the list and working out where to find them. But having said that I rarely do them in non-games period. Unless it was a locationless which had previously caught my attention and that I stumbled across a scenario where it would fit, eg finding an electric car charging.

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 28 July 18 12:00 am

My problem with them is that cachers don't follow the requirements of the locationless....

e.g. The latest one (at time of writing) GA12559 - Circular Saw blade Art, states what is required, however the only claim to date does not meet the requirement. So why bother going to the trouble of hunting down what is required when others don't.

Kittykatch

Post by Kittykatch » 13 June 19 8:57 am

I have been trying to get GA Locationless caches loaded into Geocube 'Planned' tab.
I have loaded all 829 locationless caches into the 'All' tab under Locationless but would like to highlight a couple to try and focus on.
Team Mavetju - can you provide advice on how to do this?
Thanks, Kath

MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Post by MavEtJu » 15 June 19 7:48 pm

Kittykatch wrote:
13 June 19 8:57 am
I have been trying to get GA Locationless caches loaded into Geocube 'Planned' tab.
I have loaded all 829 locationless caches into the 'All' tab under Locationless but would like to highlight a couple to try and focus on.
Team Mavetju - can you provide advice on how to do this?
Thanks, Kath
(Sorry only saw this one right now) Swipe left on the cache in the listing overview with all of them should give a menu to mark it as planned. If not then Top Right menu, "Mark As" should have it.

Edwin

Kittykatch

Post by Kittykatch » 15 June 19 9:22 pm

Hi Edwin
Great thanks for getting back to me. I checked it out and the 'Mark as...' option worked. It is a great feature and I should be able to hit a few more locationless now. It has taken me a while to work out how to use the app but I use it all the time now for GCA caching. I missed seeing you at Clear Waters event. Hope to get to meet you at the OzGeoMuster.
Cheers, Kath

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 16 June 19 8:34 pm

Going back to the problem of not knowing how to find them again when you remember to photo something that matches one you thought was in the list somewhere, perhaps the solution would be to add public tags to them. To use cantanga's example from last year, perhaps if a few tags were added like "semi", "truck" and so on it might make them easier to locate.

It would be nice if the hider did this at the time of publishing, but anyone can go and add them later on.