Oh my! What has happened in NZ?

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Geocaching Australia

Oh my! What has happened in NZ?

Post by Geocaching Australia » 31 May 19 3:24 pm

Geocaching Australia is pleased to announce that we have published over 5,000 TrigPoints in New Zealand.

A TrigPoint (also known as a Trigonometric Station) typically consists of a black disc on top of four metal legs or concrete pillar, resembling a navigation beacon. It is also accompanied by a metal disc, which is located directly below the center point of the tripod or on top of the pillar itself. TrigPoints are generally located at the top of hills or points of prominence in the landscape. Many provide unique views and challenges, with some being difficult to get to.

Geocaching Australia acknowledges that this is a computer generated list, the locations have not been visited personally and the data is subject to inaccuraces. There is also a chance that the TriPoint is on private land, which we cannot identify, and in some cases the TrigPoint may be missing due to being damaged or removed. The original collection of TrigPoints has been sourced from Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) so the co-ordinates are as accurate as LINZ were able to collect them. A link to the LINZ Mark Details page is included in the geocache description. The Mark Details page contains additional information about the mark, including (where available) photographs and sketch diagrams. This information may assist in identifying the precise location of the marker, used to determine an approach across public land to the specific site or other means to verify the location of the mark.

Please respect local laws and regulations when searching for TrigPoints. TrigPoint listings are community property and may be edited by the community at large by clicking on the Edit link on the geocache listing page. If you can provide better information or details you can amend the description, terrain, difficulty, name, etc. We request that you leave the link to the LINK Mark Details page for reference. If you believe that a TrigPoint is located on private property or in a dangerous location, you may archive the cache, by clicking on Log this Cache and place an "Archived" log on the Geocaching Australia website.

Since Geocaching Australia listed TrigPoints in Australia there have been around 3,000 additional TrigPoints added to the site over and above those that were originally listed. You are welcome to add TrigPoints that you locate. Simply select a geocache type of TrigPoint when you are creating your listing. The ownership of the geocache will be transferred to Geocaching Australia and will be immediately published as soon as you save the geocache listing. Over the same period there have been over 36,000 Found it logs made against TrigPoints making them the 3rd most popular geocache type at Geocaching Australia behind Traditional and Moveable geocaches.

Your proof of finding the TrigPoint is a photo attached to your log of you or your GPS with the TrigPoint. It in an interesting point to note that the Australia Capital Territory government use the photos of the TrigPoints at the Geocaching Australia to do a "virtual survey" of the markers to help determine whether maintenance is needed.

Geocaching Australia appreciates that TrigPoints are not for everyone or that alternative listing sites such as Geocaching Australia are not for everyone. We kindly request that you be mindful of those who do enjoy these activities and keep your comments constructive.

If you have feedback or comments you are welcome to contact us.

Until then, we hope to see you seeking and finding TrigPoints in New Zealand. https://geocaching.com.au/caches/available/gca/nz.gmap https://geocaching.com.au/caches/available/gca/nz/

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Re: Oh my! What has happened in NZ?

Post by Richary » 02 June 19 8:15 pm

A good addition, I see you must have used some smarts to avoid duplicates of ones that had already been manually added by myself and others as we came across them. Easier than studying the maps if/when I next get back there.