Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Report Site Issues Here

Post by CraigRat » 16 January 19 4:50 pm

Technical items are not senate issues. The senate has no say on how we code or configure the site.

ikkibrady

Post by ikkibrady » 27 January 19 12:33 pm

I've got a few emails today that are "newly published" notifications but when I go into the cache they are a couple years old. Not sure why the published log emails are coming out today

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 January 19 1:39 pm

Do you have an example?

2y'stassies
10000 or more caches found

Post by 2y'stassies » 27 January 19 1:52 pm

GA9883 Mission to Conquer Australia (or at least half of it); GA9775 Find the Iron. Both of these are locationless

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 27 January 19 2:53 pm

I got the same 2 come through, at which point I turned off my notification for new Locationless at least temporarily in case the whole database was going to come down.

ikkibrady

Post by ikkibrady » 27 January 19 4:07 pm

I got the same 2 mentioned above and just got a 3rd. Ga9297

Edit: and a 4th ga9264
Seems to be working down the list and all brainiacs

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 January 19 1:42 pm

The cache owner is editing the publish log which triggers an alert.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 15 February 19 8:35 pm

The dates for most GC events are out by one day on GCA. Not exactly sure why this is, but possibly because Groundspeak are now including the event start time in the GPX file (in the <time> tag) whereas previously this was set to 00:00:00

Richary

Post by Richary » 16 February 19 7:32 pm

On a similar vein when I do imports to help keep the db up to date, I often see messages saying Updated date of log or similar. Whether this is because they have previously been imported and since amended by the finder on the other site I haven't been able to work out.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 16 February 19 10:51 pm

Richary wrote:On a similar vein when I do imports to help keep the db up to date, I often see messages saying Updated date of log or similar. Whether this is because they have previously been imported and since amended by the finder on the other site I haven't been able to work out.
This caused me some confusion so I made this: https://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Upl ... ate_Issues

In short, the timestamp in logs is set to 20:00:00 UTC (on the given date) for all logs that are submitted via the website. For logs submitted via phone apps, the timestamp is the actual time the user submitted the log.

Groundspeak shows log dates/times in Pacific Time Zone. GCA shows log dates in UTC. When the time is 20:00:00, the date is the same in both timezones. But with more logs coming from phone apps, the time of day is all over the place - and times that result in different dates happens quite often.

This causes some problems for phone app users that are trying to do the "find on 366 days" challenge.

Add to that some phone apps which intentionally add offsets to the date/time so the logs show as the right date on the website and things get very confusing...

Richary

Post by Richary » 17 February 19 7:37 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:This caused me some confusion so I made this: https://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Upl ... ate_Issues
OK, I am probably almost as confused as I was before :? but is there a fix? Like a GSAK macro that will strip the time from the data before the GPX export or set it to something sensible so we don't have the mismatch in data?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 February 19 2:05 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:The dates for most GC events are out by one day on GCA. Not exactly sure why this is, but possibly because Groundspeak are now including the event start time in the GPX file (in the <time> tag) whereas previously this was set to 00:00:00
It is caused by GC failing to fix some issues when they introduced dates being included as part of the description. Individual GPX files and anything done with their API has been fixed but not the PQ stuff but they are working on that. (The issue is only apparent for those in different timezones than GCHQ). Not much we can do when the source data is wrong.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 February 19 2:06 pm

Richary wrote:
Laighside Legends wrote:This caused me some confusion so I made this: https://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Upl ... ate_Issues
OK, I am probably almost as confused as I was before :? but is there a fix? Like a GSAK macro that will strip the time from the data before the GPX export or set it to something sensible so we don't have the mismatch in data?
The fix is at the source. Petition to GCHQ to fix their date/time which has been wrong for, well, ever. Anything we attempt to do will only ever be temporary and will not fix the root cause.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 25 February 19 8:33 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Laighside Legends wrote:The dates for most GC events are out by one day on GCA. Not exactly sure why this is, but possibly because Groundspeak are now including the event start time in the GPX file (in the <time> tag) whereas previously this was set to 00:00:00
It is caused by GC failing to fix some issues when they introduced dates being included as part of the description. Individual GPX files and anything done with their API has been fixed but not the PQ stuff but they are working on that. (The issue is only apparent for those in different timezones than GCHQ). Not much we can do when the source data is wrong.
This is the only reference to the problem I can find: https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index. ... nt-5761155

They were "looking into" the problem on Jan 31st and no updates since.

I would have thought this would cause problems for everyone that uses PQs and GSAK (not just GCA users)

Chwiliwr

Post by Chwiliwr » 26 February 19 2:00 am

Laighside Legends wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
This is the only reference to the problem I can find: https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index. ... nt-5761155

They were "looking into" the problem on Jan 31st and no updates since.

I would have thought this would cause problems for everyone that uses PQs and GSAK (not just GCA users)
At the time GSAK users were told to update caches via the API after a PQ download as the API has been fixed and now doesn't have the problem.

It is generally only apparent on the events because of the event times being automatically added to what was previously called the 'short description' caused a miss-match between how the dates were presented in individual GPX files, the PQ GPX files and the API refreshes.

(RANT I wish programmers in general used date only fields instead of datetime fields when dealing with dates like GC's 'Placed date' where time is actually irrelevant and not displayed. Datetime fields are OK for everyone that may be in the same timezone but everything goes out the window when data is collected from different timezones. In GC's case this was actually suggested way back in 2005/6 but ignored by the then PTB.)