Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Re: Report Site Issues Here

Post by gmj3191 » 31 October 18 10:17 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:I don't think I'm doing anything wrong :(

If I look at a GCA cache log for a Moveable cache, then if it's a Moved log, the new coordinates show as a hyperlink.
When I click on the hyperlink, it opens up Google Maps in Chrome, but only the map, there is no pointer indicating the exact position. Surely there should be a pointer.
I'm using Chrome Version 70.0.3538.67 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Please provide an example of a cache you are experiencing the issue with, thanks.
It's working fine now. Thanks. Must have been a transitory glitch somewhere.

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 23 November 18 9:46 pm

With the history caches when entering the answers for the codeword if you do not enter an answer for one of the questions and fail to notice this the system assumes that you have the wrong answer with the message "You have 1 answer(s) incorrect. You are now required to wait 120 seconds before your answers can be checked again."

Is it possible for this to be more friendly and allow for this possibility and just re-display with the chance to enter the missing answer without having to wait the 120 seconds that is for a wrong answer.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 28 November 18 5:48 pm

Chwiliwr

Post by Chwiliwr » 23 December 18 11:45 am

Not sure if this is a bug or just a curiosity.

Occasionally on a cache listing page the cache owner is shown as 'neutral' instead of the clan they belong to. Below is a copy from two of the pages from the same owner where I noticed it.

By Minotaur SpatialRiq on 25-Jul-17. Waypoint GA10636

&

By Neutral Spatialriq on 31-Dec-16. Waypoint GA5685

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 January 19 8:21 am

Chwiliwr wrote:Not sure if this is a bug or just a curiosity.

Occasionally on a cache listing page the cache owner is shown as 'neutral' instead of the clan they belong to. Below is a copy from two of the pages from the same owner where I noticed it.

By Minotaur SpatialRiq on 25-Jul-17. Waypoint GA10636

&

By Neutral Spatialriq on 31-Dec-16. Waypoint GA5685
Note the case on the cache "owner". We use the "owner" name (if it's blank then we use the cacher name) for that information. As Spatialriq is not a dZ member then it comes up as Neutral. You can either correct the case or remove the "hidden by" attribute to default to the cache owner name.

2y'stassies

Post by 2y'stassies » 09 January 19 8:36 pm

As a result of todays problem we appear to have lost our daily DZ 3.5 points from yesterday so when we visited a few minutes ago we were allocated 0.5 points instead of 3.5.
Yesterday Sharnie's Tribe published their Geocacher cache GA13433 which we found today. When I went to log the find I got an unknown cache message. Will this cache need to be republished? Thought I'd log these as they might help sort things out after todays little catastrophe.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 09 January 19 8:40 pm

Correct. EVERYTHING from yesterday has gone and can't be recovered. Every single thing.

stainless-steel-rat

Post by stainless-steel-rat » 09 January 19 11:07 pm

2y'stassies wrote:As a result of todays problem we appear to have lost our daily DZ 3.5 points from yesterday so when we visited a few minutes ago we were allocated 0.5 points instead of 3.5.
Since everyone is in the same boat maybe we could all just live with losing 10.5 DZ points?

budgietas

Post by budgietas » 10 January 19 6:50 am

Agree Stainless Steel
I know I have lost a couple of points but in the scheme of things what's 1.5 points - its not worth the work for the site admin to add these points back.
As we say at work S... happens move on

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 10 January 19 6:55 am

Given one possible outcome of yesterday's issue was that we might have had to permanently take the site down then I think losing a few DZ points is the least important issue of the day.

Sorry if this offends, but if we'd lost the main board on the server or whatnot then we would have been seriously boned.

budgietas

Post by budgietas » 10 January 19 7:23 am

CraigRat wrote:Given one possible outcome of yesterday's issue was that we might have had to permanently take the site down then I think losing a few DZ points is the least important issue of the day.

Sorry if this offends, but if we'd lost the main board on the server or whatnot then we would have been seriously boned.
Yes thankful that didn't happen - we all should thank Caught at Work and Craig Rat for running this web site. Craig just a technical question, given how the site came back, you must have a backup of the data on the site external to the server. Is this correct? How big is that data requirement?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 10 January 19 11:10 am

budgietas wrote:
CraigRat wrote:Given one possible outcome of yesterday's issue was that we might have had to permanently take the site down then I think losing a few DZ points is the least important issue of the day.

Yes thankful that didn't happen - we all should thank Caught at Work and Craig Rat for running this web site. Craig just a technical question, given how the site came back, you must have a backup of the data on the site external to the server. Is this correct? How big is that data requirement?
Data usage is negligable, It backs up other drives on the server and then to a NAS box at my house.
~2.2 Gb a day syncing to my house.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 15 January 19 10:38 pm

There seems to be an issue with the Google Maps pages. When reloading caches (after the map is moved), the javascript for deleting the old caches from the map has been commented out for some reason. (lines 604-642 of gmap.php) This eventually leads to the browser crashing due to lack of memory.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 16 January 19 8:16 am

The change was done in November last year to grab 1,000 caches per scroll (after the map stops moving) and leave them displayed on the map so there is no apparent "wait time" when you head back to an area you have already mapified. A check is made to see if the marker was already on the map so it doesn't draw things on top of each other, they're only drawn once. As far as the usability, I think keeping the markers on the map (as we now have bigger machines than 15 years ago) is not a problem. I check it out on my sluggish tablet and it's OK and usable. On a modern desktop it's no issue at all even if you have tens of thousands of markers. I have all of South Australia and Victoria and running fine before I got bored with trying to find a limit.

Please provide more information about how many markers you have loaded on the page, what browser (and version number) and the RAM on your machine, whether you have multiple tabs or programs running consuming memory and when is "eventually" (i.e. 2 mintes, 5 minutes, 100 map moves, etc). This might help identify whether the issue is related to you and your browser / machine or is a general issue where we may keep the maximum number of caches drawn to 10,000 and remove the "oldest" ones (first drawn) from the map.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 16 January 19 4:48 pm

I was pushing it to 5-10 thousand (with Chrome on an older machine) before I had problems which is probably ok for most users. Just interesting to note these changes happened without a senate discussion. At first I thought it was a mistake.