Latest protest against gc.com

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Latest protest against gc.com

Post by Aushiker » 12 January 05 10:28 am

Hi
<p>
A new cache - a protest against gc.com? See the cache <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 2">here</a> and roughtly translated by <a href="http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfis ... _en">Babel Fish</a> and the discussion on the secondary forums is <a href="http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... 6">here</a>.
<p>
Regards</br>
Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on 12 January 05 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

dak's Emu Mob
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 12 January 05 10:34 am

Hmmmmm.
<p>
Since my german is not so good (in spite of my surname: Kruger), could you give us the gist of it?
<p>
I must admit that I haven't visited the US forum. I refuse to go there on principle (and owing to having no time to do it--it's hard enough to keep abreast of the Australian forum in these heady days). :roll:
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak

Aushiker
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 12 January 05 10:37 am

dak's Emu Mob wrote:Hmmmmm.
<p>
Since my german is not so good (in spite of my surname: Kruger), could you give us the gist of it?
dak
<p>
Hi Dak. Just check the edited post which now has a translation link.
<p>
Andrew

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 12 January 05 10:40 am

From Google:

Micro on the Kreuzberger Lohmuehleninsel. First an important preface: The Cache may not become from Premium Membern gelogged! The Cache represents as it were a Gegenpol to the first citizen of Berlin Members only to Cache, which can become exclusive of Premium Membern gelogged. In order to repair the equilibrium, I will put Cache in the citizen of Berlin area a Cache of the NO Members Please row for each Members only. If a MOC all Cachern is made accessible, also a NMP Cache everything is made available. Up to then I will look at myself however the profiles of the logging Cacher and will delete Logs of Premium Membern, since they do not correspond to the conditions of the Caches. Now however to the Cache. It is meant as drive in for occasionally and is at a place something off the transit traffic. Pays attention however please nevertheless to Muggels. The prospect enjoys on the new citizens of Berlin medium landscape even if these by the existing fence something is obstructed. The fence does not have to be over-climbed by the way, in order to save the Cache. The hiding place idea is already once present in Berlin in exactly the same form and me so well pleased that I geklaut and copied it simply. Cacher with a body size of less than 1,70m might have problems to save the Cache without aids. In the Cache is only a log note, please absolutely bring along therefore a pin. Much fun with looking for and... ------------------- Landy on Gernot90

gunnell&pandaabear
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by gunnell&pandaabear » 12 January 05 11:54 am

What I loved about caching when we started, was that it suited everybody, age and physical ability did not matter intelligence wasn't an issue, you could cache with a street directory or have the best GPS available. I can not think of another hobby/sport that can bring all the teams and people that cache together in the same way. So why now is there a constant battle to divide?

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 12 January 05 12:32 pm

dak's Emu Mob wrote:Hmmmmm.
<p>
<p>
I must admit that I haven't visited the US forum. I refuse to go there on principle (and owing to having no time to do it--it's hard enough to keep abreast of the Australian forum in these heady days). :roll:
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak
Basically the cache is only open to non-members, i.e. the owner will delete any log by a Premium Member.
Whatch this one get knocked on the head quick smart!

EcoDave :)

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 12 January 05 1:06 pm

Basically the cache is only open to non-members, i.e. the owner will delete any log by a Premium Member.
Whatch this one get knocked on the head quick smart!

EcoDave :)
maybe not. There's nothing in the existing guidelines to stop it.<p>
If you browse the thread you will see Jeremy suggested giving the placer I months premium membership and see if he recovers his cache.<br>
Others for some reason agreed.

edited to insert a misplaced word.
Last edited by riblit on 12 January 05 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 12 January 05 2:18 pm

muauahahahaha. Bewdiful.

That is one thing that repeatedly annoys me about some caches - ones that can only be logged by female/male/kid/newbie/tsunamivictim/dog/alien. It's kind of hard if there are no rules (Good Thing) to prevent caches that have rules, so if they get onto gca, I hope there will be an ignore flag.

- R

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 12 January 05 2:29 pm

One thing that disappoints me about this thread on the gc.com forum is the attitude of some of the members ... despite the fact the cache in question is:
  • in Germany,
  • in reaction to a local situation in Berlin, and
  • falls completely within GC.COM cache placement guidelines.
Why has the forum decided this cache is a clear and present danger to the sport/hobby? I can understand the kerfuffle about Piggy's cache, as it didn't appear to fall within their beloved guidelines. This cache does, and they're still not happy??
<p>
This poor guy is minding his own business, and now he's getting DNF's logged on his cache from gc.com forum members incensed at his conduct. You'd think they'd be courteous enough at least to be logging their protests in German :roll:

dcr
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by dcr » 12 January 05 3:52 pm

Slider & Smurf wrote: This poor guy is minding his own business, and now he's getting DNF's logged on his cache from gc.com forum members incensed at his conduct. You'd think they'd be courteous enough at least to be logging their protests in German :roll:
After being back on the forums on the secondary site, I think I can answer that for you :wink:
  • It's a micro, you all know I hate micro's, next thing its gunna be a bleedin' virtual
  • Caching is about boxes under trees (note: not boxers hung in trees, that's a different sport)
  • That was a different langauage? No wonder my standard word count was down
  • there was no mention of the right to bear arms whilst searching for the abovemention cacche
  • OT: I hear icecream is good with chips!
  • The last bullet point should be moved to the premium members OT bullet point listing
  • I was HIS fault --->
  • I have had enough of this list and I am going to close it now! (MOD1)

:roll:

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 12 January 05 4:13 pm

Ain't that the truth :wink:

dak's Emu Mob

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 12 January 05 4:37 pm

gunnell&pandaabear wrote:What I loved about caching when we started, was that it suited everybody, age and physical ability did not matter intelligence wasn't an issue, you could cache with a street directory or have the best GPS available. I can not think of another hobby/sport that can bring all the teams and people that cache together in the same way. So why now is there a constant battle to divide?
<p>
Hear, hear!

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 12 January 05 4:40 pm

The battle has always been there, it has just escalated and is much harder to ignore now. Also, the battle is not to divide (for the most part), it is to challenge the differing views of others.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 12 January 05 5:23 pm

As posted by Jeremy:
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... try1244147

There's no specific guideline to exclude a listing (or logging requirement), so for now we'll take a wait and see approach, just like with the "no smiley face" approach for logging on the other listing.
A wait and see approach? And then what? Introduce a new rule, can the cache and wait for another mountain to be raised where there should be a molehill.

These guys crack me up.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 12 January 05 5:57 pm

The thing that surprises me is it's not locked or edited to oblivian.

Mods must be on a coffee break.

Bronze.