Report GCA Site issues here [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
andrewbt
3000 or more caches found

Re: Report GCA Site issues here

Post by andrewbt » 09 October 16 10:10 pm

Hiya

My notifications have stopped working? They seemed to have stopped about 6 weeks ago (possibly less)

I'm didn't really notice until I put a moveable down, and I wasn't getting new notifications for it. I've since discovered that I get no notifications about caches being placed or moved

My mail domain is hosted via google apps (so it's using the same mx's as gmail), if that helps at all

~Andrew

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 October 16 8:41 am

I can't check the mail logs from my current location, but there is nothing specific we are doing to block email to your email address.

I'll see if I can check the logs tonight.

andrewbt

Post by andrewbt » 10 October 16 2:01 pm

Thanks CAW

I am getting some messages, but I have not received updates to moves or published caches - it seems inconsistent in what does and doesn't get through

Just checked the GCA MTA IP against blacklist checkers, it's not listed on any. That said, you may have more than just one :) (or it's since been removed)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 October 16 2:21 pm

OK, now that's weird. Some vs. none is a strange issue. You don't have your account set up to receive a summary on a weekly basis vs. one every time the cache is logged do you?
http://geocaching.com.au/my/settings/
Log eMail Options

andrewbt

Post by andrewbt » 10 October 16 7:33 pm

caughtatwork wrote:OK, now that's weird. Some vs. none is a strange issue. You don't have your account set up to receive a summary on a weekly basis vs. one every time the cache is logged do you?
http://geocaching.com.au/my/settings/
Log eMail Options
Yeah, intermittent emails, IME, seems to be black/greylisting. I get individual emails for everything.

That being said, I did get a found notification today for one of my caches, I'll keep an eye on it and see if I get updates for moves

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 26 October 16 11:21 pm

Why doesn't my name show on the top hiders list on the main page? The others have virtuals that have been counted. It's nothing to write home about, but it should be there.
Also, why didn't mine appear on the daily email?
And in my profile - details - hides, they come under September.
Have I done them incorrectly?
Has it got something to do with the date I started making them?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 October 16 8:25 am

Help us to understand.

Where should your name appear? Hiders or finders?
How many geocaches have you found or hidden?

My count says you have found 17 in October. That's less than 21 which is the lowest number.
My count says you have no hides for October.

As far as your September hides, they were listed as being in Septmber.
By Griffin No_Tomorrow on 19th September 2016. Waypoint GA8489
By Griffin No_Tomorrow on 19th September 2016. Waypoint GA8492
By Griffin No_Tomorrow on 19th September 2016. Waypoint GA8496
By Griffin No_Tomorrow on 19th September 2016. Waypoint GA8497
By Griffin No_Tomorrow on 19th September 2016. Waypoint GA8499
By Griffin No_Tomorrow on 19th September 2016. Waypoint GA8500

They didn't appear in the email because they weren't hidden yesterday which is what the email is based on.

Incorrectly? No. You can hide a geocache in September and publish it in October. It depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you wanted what you're looking for them they needed to have the same hidden and published dates.

These are not bugs. If you would like to discuss more, then please start up a new thread where we can explain more and if necessary update the wiki.

whitewebbs
6500 or more caches found

Post by whitewebbs » 27 October 16 9:17 am

For quite a few weeks I have not been receiving instant notifications of new GCA caches by email. This includes moves for moveables and all types of caches. The only way I know a new cache is in the area is if I happen to be looking at a live map while in the area or the daily email update on new caches. I am not the only one this is happening to in Tasmania. Any suggestions?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 October 16 9:28 am

Delays in sending mail appear to be due to the poor performance of the existing server. We have had up to 500 mails in the queue which are not clearing. We are looking at a plan to have this resolved in the next few weeks.

I'll try and check the mail logs tonight and see if I can spot them going out or whether they are trapped in here.

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 27 October 16 10:17 am

caughtatwork wrote:Help us to understand.

Where should your name appear? Hiders or finders?
How many geocaches have you found or hidden?

My count says you have found 17 in October. That's less than 21 which is the lowest number.
My count says you have no hides for October.

As far as your September hides, they were listed as being in Septmber.
By Griffin No_Tomorrow on 19th September 2016. Waypoint GA8489
By Griffin No_Tomorrow on 19th September 2016. Waypoint GA8492
By Griffin No_Tomorrow on 19th September 2016. Waypoint GA8496
By Griffin No_Tomorrow on 19th September 2016. Waypoint GA8497
By Griffin No_Tomorrow on 19th September 2016. Waypoint GA8499
By Griffin No_Tomorrow on 19th September 2016. Waypoint GA8500

They didn't appear in the email because they weren't hidden yesterday which is what the email is based on.

Incorrectly? No. You can hide a geocache in September and publish it in October. It depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you wanted what you're looking for them they needed to have the same hidden and published dates.

These are not bugs. If you would like to discuss more, then please start up a new thread where we can explain more and if necessary update the wiki.
Thanks, I think. Like I originally said, hides. I really don't care about my name being on a list, so long as they are not lost in the system, which I now know they aren't. As for emails, I wasn't talking about the previous day, but all past ones. I have no clue about IT so didn't realise draft date overuled publish date.
Thank you for your patience to reply to a dumb person with dumb questions.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 October 16 6:13 pm

whitewebbs wrote:For quite a few weeks I have not been receiving instant notifications of new GCA caches by email. This includes moves for moveables and all types of caches. The only way I know a new cache is in the area is if I happen to be looking at a live map while in the area or the daily email update on new caches. I am not the only one this is happening to in Tasmania. Any suggestions?
I suspect I have found the issue. We calculate directions and distance for each cache for the user email so it's personalised. For a reason I can't quite track down we appear to have had two functions that were identical except for name. gca_directions and gca_direction The alert email generators were calling gca_directions which no longer exists. I vaguely recall cleaning this code up some time ago, but I got every other call to that function changed except this one. Other functions in the same directory were fixed, so this one I simple missed. I have corrected the function call so things should go out from now on. Thanks for letting us know.

whitewebbs

Post by whitewebbs » 28 October 16 1:53 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
whitewebbs wrote:For quite a few weeks I have not been receiving instant notifications of new GCA caches by email. This includes moves for moveables and all types of caches. The only way I know a new cache is in the area is if I happen to be looking at a live map while in the area or the daily email update on new caches. I am not the only one this is happening to in Tasmania. Any suggestions?
I suspect I have found the issue. We calculate directions and distance for each cache for the user email so it's personalised. For a reason I can't quite track down we appear to have had two functions that were identical except for name. gca_directions and gca_direction The alert email generators were calling gca_directions which no longer exists. I vaguely recall cleaning this code up some time ago, but I got every other call to that function changed except this one. Other functions in the same directory were fixed, so this one I simple missed. I have corrected the function call so things should go out from now on. Thanks for letting us know.
Thanks just checked back in as didnt get an email alerting me there had been an answer posted. So is that an issue as well as I thought you received notification if you posted on a thread? Thanks for fixing now to get those emails alerting to FTF possibilities.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 October 16 3:21 pm

Nope. You only get an email if you subscribe, not just post.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 28 October 16 9:10 pm

I've got a discrepancy between my NZ finds on the site. If I look at

http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/richary ... nd_regions

It totals to 143 finds. But under

http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/statist ... ary/finds/

it shows

455 (New Zealand)
337 (North Island)
114 (South Island)

Any thoughts, I am sure I should have at least one more region showing up on the map as found after the 225 caches found in the last 2 weeks on the North Island.

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 29 October 16 11:10 pm

With the high volume of logs in the North Island before/during/after the Mega it may take the fairies some time to capture all the logs. Have you uploaded your My Finds PQ?