What can Geocaching Australia do for you in 2016?

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Re: What can Geocaching Australia do for you in 2016?

Post by fluffyfish » 14 January 16 12:34 pm

Agree. But don't make it convoluted just on the off chance someone is arm chair logging or similar. If you make it too complicated, then people (especially the groundspeak folk) just won't "get it".

the Monkey King
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: The Monkey King @Au

Post by the Monkey King » 19 January 16 4:13 pm

I for one am very excited at the news today in relation to history caches. I even have an idea for my first history cache \:D/

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 19 January 16 7:16 pm

I too am excited, I've been doing a lot of historical research of late, and would like to share some of it with fellow cachers!

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 31 January 16 11:53 pm

Any chance we could have a reverse geocache type? I would think there are not many but they are quite unique in how they are played and could justify their own category.

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga6859

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 February 16 8:49 am

Explain more how this would work, please.

MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Post by MavEtJu » 01 February 16 9:30 am

caughtatwork wrote:Explain more how this would work, please.
Found by caughtatwork at 14:00 on 19/07/2015

:-)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 February 16 10:37 am

That's how the cache works.

Explain how this would be listed, at what co-ordinates the cache can be located, how to know it's in someones hands, when it's back with the owner, how to get on the list for the next time it's free, etc.

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 01 February 16 11:47 am

A reverse cache would have its coordinates listed "near" the place you would pick up the reverse cache (I say near as to protect the privacy of the CO).

The CO would post a note as a log when the reverse cache is out and then available again.

The list of people waiting is on the caches page but I prefer a first in approach (but up to the discretion of the CO on how this is managed).

Also important for the cache listing is letting people know how far they might have to travel to get to the location.

I feel that given the unusual nature of the reverse cache, it is more descriptive than throwing it in the "Mystery/Unknown" category.

Currently the Melbourne one is listed as such and in the current situation, I would list my reverse cache as such.

I have no idea how much work it is to make a new cache type. If it is too onerous, happy to list it as a mystery.

We should consult with geo_jas as he seems to have the current reverse cache on GCA.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 February 16 12:25 pm

It's 2-4 hours of work to create a new cache type including the icons where the cache has no special features, so it's not huge. Testing is about 50% of that.

There are no special features for this cache type that I can see described. The cache owner makes the call as to the location, the status (disabled if it's with another cacher, maybe) and a list of who's next could be as simple as "note order".

If this is to go ahead it would be nice to see what the general population has to contribute and whether the Senate has any particular issue. Run this past firnsy for your state will you. Or bring him into this discussion. We would also welcome input from other senators as well.

MavEtJu

Post by MavEtJu » 01 February 16 12:37 pm

It all depends on the approach the cache takes.

If the approach is "obtain box, determine location, find container and sign physical log", then I would put the coordinates somewhere around where the container is.

If the approach is "obtain box, determine location, let box confirm right location", then I would put the coordinates around where the box can be obtained from.

To obtain the box, I would add in the description "send me a message (email, SMS, GC/GCA private message) and I'll let you know when and where you can pick it up.

As the type, it would be a multicache (obtain the box, then go to the location) or a virtual (depending on the approach).

Edwin

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 February 16 1:03 pm

Or a puzzle: Solve the location where the 3 circles intersect.

MavEtJu

Post by MavEtJu » 01 February 16 1:42 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Or a puzzle: Solve the location where the 3 circles intersect.
By defining it like that you just have made every GPS based approach a puzzle :-)

Edwin

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 February 16 2:03 pm

Huh?
A traditional is at the co-ords.
A multi starts at the co-ords.

A puzzle is almost never at the co-ords.
How is this sort of cache anything other than a mystery type where the co-ordinates do not reflect the location of a waypoint where you would visit to start the activity?
If this was listed as a multi type, then people would visit the false co-ordinates and look for something (assuming that no-one reads the description until they get there which is exactly what happens). They would find nothing and log a DNF.
A mystery type does not expect you to visit the published co-ordinates so it would be the parent type for a reverse cache where the cache is not at the location and you need to undertake som detective work to get to the location (get the box), then solve a puzzle to open the box.

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 01 February 16 2:24 pm

caughtatwork wrote:It's 2-4 hours of work to create a new cache type including the icons where the cache has no special features, so it's not huge. Testing is about 50% of that.

There are no special features for this cache type that I can see described. The cache owner makes the call as to the location, the status (disabled if it's with another cacher, maybe) and a list of who's next could be as simple as "note order".

If this is to go ahead it would be nice to see what the general population has to contribute and whether the Senate has any particular issue. Run this past firnsy for your state will you. Or bring him into this discussion. We would also welcome input from other senators as well.
Fine. It will be listed as a mystery.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 February 16 2:30 pm

We're having a discussion about the cache type and what the parent type would be.
e.g.
Virtual (Parent Type) - History (Child Type)
Multi (Parent Type) - Night Cache (Child Type)

A reverse cache is a subtype of a mystery cache. So in the same manner as the other recent additions.
Mystery (Parent Type) - Reverse Cache (Child Type)

The discussion is whether the parent should be a Mystery or a Multi. I think Mystery as you do not visit the co-ords to start the cache. So while the new cache type will be a Reverse Cache, not a GPS in the world will handle this, so it will be classified as a Mystery or Multi in the GPX file to your GPS.

Why the dismissal?