Lost in locationless cache land

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
ziggiau
3000 or more caches found
Twitter: ziggiau

Lost in locationless cache land

Post by ziggiau » 20 August 15 1:17 pm

With so many locationless cache options available, how do you all remember which ones are available to do? Do you head out with a specific locationless cache in mind or stumble across them in your travels? As there aren't many GCA caches near me, collecting a few locationless finds is a way for me to stay involved but it would take me days to read through everything that's available and then REMEMBER them for when I'm out! I'm not sure I have the brain space.

How do you (mentally) all keep up with locationless caches? Is sticking them in my Planned caches the only real option?

oldfella
10000 or more caches found

Re: Lost in locationless cache land

Post by oldfella » 20 August 15 1:48 pm

The way I do it is that I make a list of 30 or so ( that is till I catch Up) and as I allways have my I Pad with me leave the list in my I pad and refer to it when out and about. Other than that I use my local knowledge of what I think is possible in a radius of about 20 klm from me ( I live in a country town) and make a search of local information sites.

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 20 August 15 1:51 pm

I don't remember them. If I am going out I check the map of where I am going to see if any are in the location. I only load the permanent caches to keep on my Garmin until I might be in the area. It's no use doing this with movable caches, because...well...they move.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 20 August 15 8:52 pm

I haven't found a way of keeping track. If I see something unusual when out and about I might photo it and check later if it is one, or very occasionally I will download the locationless ones to GSAK and have a scan through to see if there is anything I might be able to find that I have come across in recent times and can go back to.

ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 20 August 15 9:31 pm

Richary wrote:If I see something unusual when out and about I might photo it and check later if it is one.
Sort of like a reverse cache where you find the locationless cache to match what you've already found in the real world. Sounds like an option.

cantanga
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by cantanga » 21 August 15 9:54 am

I usually have a quick read and what ones I remember when out and about I do. Quite often though it'll end up with me doing the wrong thing but thats ok as I remember it better the next time

ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 21 August 15 2:11 pm

I've just discovered Locationless by 12 - http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga7102 (and loved No_Tomorrow's video - I had to share this with https://www.facebook.com/groups/stgeorgegeocaching/) and after looking at the interesting combinations people have found I think this will have to be my current challenge, once I've read through the monster list of locationless caches of course.

ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 26 August 15 10:57 am

Cranking out the locationless finds now. Wasn't sure what the appeal was at first but now I'm hooked for the historical documentation nature of the finds. Meeting the requirements that the CO has set can be just as valid a form of find as finding a trad.

I still haven't managed to read ALL the locationless listings, it's going to take some time! Even though I've planned many of them, there are ones that I remember having come across but can't locate them in a general search because we can only search on cache title. Often the real intent of the cache is listed in the description - is there anyway to search within cache descriptions, especially within locationless caches?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 August 15 11:17 am

Not with our current database structure. We have new infrastructure on the way and a DB upgrade planned. When this happens we will be implementing full text search on cache descriptions.

ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 26 August 15 11:57 am

Rock and roll c@w! \:D/

MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Post by MavEtJu » 26 August 15 12:27 pm

I have them in three categories: Impossible, and they are being ignored. Possible, which stay available. Capable, which are in my list of planned. So today I've planned to walk past a courthouse to grab a picture and then log that one. And once in a while I go through the list of possible ones again to see if there is something which I have missed in the last couple of weeks or which I decide to start ignoring.

Oh and I don't go further than the first page at http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/screen/7373 (not sure if you can see it, it's the "screen" output of the query for all locationless ones which I have not ignored).

ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 28 August 15 12:41 pm

Can't see the screen as it's not public.

I've pretty much planned everything that is reasonable to achieve in the normal course of my day. Keeps my eyes open all the time and keeps me caching. I'm hoping that my memory will be jogged for other things as I see them. Best thing about getting to the bottom of that massive list now is that I now have a list of new ones to add (after my initial clever, yet not original, attempt at creating a locationless).

ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 14 October 15 5:29 pm

You know what's wrong with locationless caches? Every time I walk out the door to go anywhere I collect a bunch of new locationless cache images and I'm perpetually backlogged with logging them (and no one likes to be backlogged)! So many locationless caches, so little time. And those survey markers are very addictive :wink:. Whoever whinges about not having enough caches to find on GCA hasn't fallen down the locationless abyss yet.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 18 October 15 2:30 pm

I made a list of all the things you could find and then log as locationless caches a few years ago. It only goes up to GA3134 and given the numbers are into the 7 thousands now, it really needs updating. At the time there were a few double ups on items to find so I'm guessing there would be a dozen or more double ups now.