What's new on Geocaching Australia

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

Re: What's new on Geocaching Australia

Post by caughtatwork » 13 August 15 8:36 pm

Tyreless wrote:Looks great on my ipad2. Thanks so much c@w.
Thanks for letting me know. I don't have any iOS devices, so that's a big relief that at least it's looks good.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 13 August 15 10:39 pm

I've got a few support tickets from people saying it's very hard to view non GCA caches on the map.

Any suggestions??

(it's a lot different, but works great on the phone and tablet)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 August 15 10:53 pm

It is Geocaching Australia so the default port of call is to display Geocaching Australia geocaches.

Depending on how they are getting to the map, they could, for example instead of tapping the MAP NOW button, tap the FIND NOW button. Then they choose ALL SOURCES and tap View as GOOGLE MAPS. A few more clicks / taps to get to the geocaches from other sources. As I said, this is Geocaching Australia so our product comes first.

If they have specific needs over and above the "canned" queries, they can use the My Query generator, customise their query and then they can see Geocaching Australia geocaches and GC geocaches in their results.

If that's not going to work, please let me know which page they are landing on and we'll see if we can offer an alternative.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 14 August 15 8:50 am

Bear with me, remembering that I may not have a clue what I'm talking about:

On the front page, where you have the title, the map, and the words in box down the right side of the map. I looked at that yesterday, checked again today, and I have just figured out what it is meant to be. Well, I think so. If it's meant to be the steps to find a geocache, can I make a couple of suggestions? If so, read on: First, put that "Find a Geocache" title inside the grey box, as well as at the top of the page (You could even re-label it as How to Find a Geocache). Second, how about indenting those links, or putting them in italics, or something? They aren't ALWAYS one of the steps, are they?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 August 15 9:40 am

Just a cacher wrote:Bear with me, remembering that I may not have a clue what I'm talking about:

On the front page, where you have the title, the map, and the words in box down the right side of the map. I looked at that yesterday, checked again today, and I have just figured out what it is meant to be. Well, I think so. If it's meant to be the steps to find a geocache, can I make a couple of suggestions? If so, read on: First, put that "Find a Geocache" title inside the grey box, as well as at the top of the page (You could even re-label it as How to Find a Geocache). Second, how about indenting those links, or putting them in italics, or something? They aren't ALWAYS one of the steps, are they?
The links to the apps are not part of the steps to finding a geocache, no. This information was more for the very new person who would not know how to get the data into their device to even start to find a geocache.

I'll take your suggestions and move them across to the front page redesign thread where I won't lose them.

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 14 August 15 11:42 pm

When I click on the map, all caches no longer appear only GCA caches and mostly trigs. I really liked the map how it was before. i could zoom in anywhere and get everything I needed ,not any more.

oldfella
10000 or more caches found

Post by oldfella » 15 August 15 9:23 am

When I try to click on any tab listed under actions when trying to log a locationless cache nothing happens.

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 15 August 15 12:43 pm

tronador wrote:When I click on the map, all caches no longer appear only GCA caches and mostly trigs. I really liked the map how it was before. i could zoom in anywhere and get everything I needed ,not any more.
I followed C@W's advice "Find Now, All Sources" then added this as a Favourite. I then click on Google Maps & get both sites caches, centred on Dubbo but zooming in & out over other areas opens up relevant caches.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 August 15 12:53 pm

tronador wrote:When I click on the map, all caches no longer appear only GCA caches and mostly trigs. I really liked the map how it was before. i could zoom in anywhere and get everything I needed ,not any more.
Which map? Without information as to what you're doing I can't replicate the issue. All caches appear on the maps for me regardless of how I get there provided I set Geocaching Australia or ALL on the appropriate search box.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 August 15 12:57 pm

oldfella wrote:When I try to click on any tab listed under actions when trying to log a locationless cache nothing happens.
Which locationless cache?
What browser are you using?

For example on this one: http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga7401
I can click on log and it will take me to the log page.
I can watch and it adds me to the watch list.
I can click on plan and it adds it to me planned list.

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 15 August 15 1:20 pm

The locationless was GA7405 and I tried on Safari. After reading your response I opened IE 10 and did not have a problem. Thank you for your reply.

tronador

Post by tronador » 15 August 15 2:09 pm

I just clicked on the big map on the home page add I always did. Clicked NSW

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 August 15 4:10 pm

tronador wrote:I just clicked on the big map on the home page add I always did. Clicked NSW
Thanks. That is by design. As we're Geocaching Australia we hope to promote Geocaching Australia caches. So the first map you hit will focus on Geocaching Australia.

As you're looking for GC caches as well, the front page map will not help you. You will need to go to the FIND a GEOCACHE page.
http://geocaching.com.au/find/geocache
The in the Find a Geocache Country and State select All and click Map or Find.

Once you have done that you can always add it to your favourites and only ever had to click the one favourite link.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 August 15 5:21 pm

oldfella wrote:The locationless was GA7405 and I tried on Safari. After reading your response I opened IE 10 and did not have a problem. Thank you for your reply.
Thanks for letting me know what browser you were using.

It turns out that there is an issue with Safari and the function we use to toggle the menu in and out. In Safari the menu was still appearing in the screen area (but it was invisible). As such, you couldn't click anything that was logically "underneath it". This, as you highlighted, affected the actions area of the side menu on a cache page.

I have found the bug as described and applied a fix, so your Safari browser should now function correctly.

Thanks for bringing this up. Without your report, we would never have known.

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 15 August 15 6:09 pm

Thankyou very much for your quick response. Love your work