Caches in children's playgrounds

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found

Re: Caches in children's playgrounds

Post by Happy Chappies » 26 May 15 10:42 am

In most instances, if you don't like playground caches just a wait a month or two and it'll disappear of its own accord! :D The vast majority don't tend to last, both because they're readily muggled, and more often than not the CO is a newbie who will most often lose interest in maintenance when said muggling occurs...

I dislike them, but would rather wish that COs simply say they are a playground cache in the title or description. Then I'll know not to go looking during daylight hours unless I've got my live 8yr old playground camouflage with me.

Goldenwattle
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Goldenwattle » 26 May 15 11:54 am

Maybe that is one solution. Don't ban them, but make it necessary that "Playground" is clearly stated in the description; even better, the title. Good suggestion Happy Chappies.

I remember one playground cache I tried to find. I was out and about on my bicycle collecting caches in the area. I turned up mid-afternoon, found the playground busy, so went away. I came back late afternoon and it was still in use, so went away again. I came back in the dusk when almost all the light had gone, and it was still in use. Finally I came back well after dark and was able to make the find. Even as a female I find playgrounds difficult and have got strange looks.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 May 15 12:33 pm

NO MORE RULES!

Stop with the making of the rules. First playground attributes, then in the description, then in the name. No sorry, your cache can't be published because it doesn't contain the right combination of letters and numbers to give those clueless enough to check the right information. Sooner or later cache names will be stuff like P812RSETPMOOA95
Playground
8-12 year old Required
Short people only
Extraction Tool needed
Premium Members Only
Only Available 9AM to 5PM

Even then, someone will complain that the cache size in ml (or cubic inches or chains or some other archaic measurement) be included so they know what they're going to seek before they even get there.

Sigh.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 26 May 15 12:40 pm

I just turn and walk away if a cache seems to be in a playground, these days.

Hoojar
5000 or more caches found

Post by Hoojar » 26 May 15 1:44 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Sooner or later cache names will be stuff like P812RSETPMOOA95
Thanks for the laugh C@W!

Reminds me of the old NSW Cacher, Tangles. If a Traditional cache couldn't be found with just the co-ordinates, then you weren't a very good cacher in his opinion. No description or clues needed, and never, ever, consider phoning a friend. Mind you, mentioning the ability to plug in a blender nearby to make a mango smoothie and he was a happy man. Ahhh, those were the days!

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 26 May 15 1:45 pm

CraigRat wrote:But then again, you don't have to find EVERY cache, do you?
Huh? What? You don't!! When did this rule change come in?!

ziggiau
3000 or more caches found
Twitter: ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 26 May 15 2:57 pm

As mentioned, take the required equipment with you, a child! Even still, it's no guarantee of not drawing attention.

We were scoping out a bridge for a potential troll hide and had a guy approach asking what we were doing - I said my young fella was interested in engineering and was fascinated by bridges! Not sure he bought the story though.

Kids love the playground hides and if the side attraction of a playground keeps their energy and enthusiasm up for a little longer, then bring 'em on!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 May 15 3:54 pm

ziggiau wrote:As mentioned, take the required equipment with you, a child! Even still, it's no guarantee of not drawing attention.

We were scoping out a bridge for a potential troll hide and had a guy approach asking what we were doing - I said my young fella was interested in engineering and was fascinated by bridges! Not sure he bought the story though.

Kids love the playground hides and if the side attraction of a playground keeps their energy and enthusiasm up for a little longer, then bring 'em on!
Do I need to take my own or can I just grab any child off the street to take with me? I have found in the past that option 2 results in more DNF's being recorded due to being required to attend the police station than the playground. Your opinion would be appreciated.

spatialriq
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by spatialriq » 26 May 15 4:00 pm

I can only really comment on Perth, but it seems that in general the community is not keen on caches in playgrounds. Of the 2500 or so caches I've found, only 10 or so have been in or on the equipment. Plenty where the cache is in trees/bush 20m or so from the equipment.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 26 May 15 4:05 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
ziggiau wrote:As mentioned, take the required equipment with you, a child! Even still, it's no guarantee of not drawing attention. ...SNIP
Do I need to take my own or can I just grab any child off the street to take with me? I have found in the past that option 2 results in more DNF's being recorded due to being required to attend the police station than the playground. Your opinion would be appreciated.
Unfortunately I don't have enough field data to draw from to be able to accurately answer your question. I'm getting out of work around 7pm tonight but will find a local park to lurk in the shadows and snatch small children as they walk past. Keep an eye on the news and you'll see how I go.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 May 15 4:15 pm

spatialriq wrote:I can only really comment on Perth, but it seems that in general the community is not keen on caches in playgrounds. Of the 2500 or so caches I've found, only 10 or so have been in or on the equipment. Plenty where the cache is in trees/bush 20m or so from the equipment.
Even better. Be spotted hiding / lurking in the trees / bushes. That's what pedo paranoia is all about.

Happy Chappies

Post by Happy Chappies » 26 May 15 4:29 pm

caughtatwork wrote:NO MORE RULES!

Stop with the making of the rules. First playground attributes, then in the description, then in the name. No sorry, your cache can't be published because it doesn't contain the right combination of letters and numbers to give those clueless enough to check the right information. Sooner or later cache names will be stuff like P812RSETPMOOA95
Playground
8-12 year old Required
Short people only
Extraction Tool needed
Premium Members Only

Even then, someone will complain that the cache size in ml (or cubic inches or chains or some other archaic measurement) be included so they know what they're going to seek before they even get there.

Sigh.
Just for the record, I'm not suggesting more rules. Put a cache in a playground, near a busy intersection, just outside a school, up a tree, and shaped like a pipe-bomb for all I care. The consequences will be what they are and I don't have to go and find it if I disagree with it....

For me it's more a suggestion of "I'd find it helpful if CO's did this, and it's certainly what I would do as a CO myself in that situation". And etiquette in this case also goes beyond what cachers might feel to also having consideration for what the wider community might experience or perceive - and of course etiquette goes both ways. In the hiding AND the finding (or choosing not to find).

Now excuse me while I go finish off that pipe-bomb cache...

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 May 15 4:41 pm

Happy Chappies wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:NO MORE RULES!

Playground
8-12 year old Required
Short people only
Extraction Tool needed
Premium Members Only

Sigh.
Just for the record, I'm not suggesting more rules. Put a cache in a playground, near a busy intersection, just outside a school, up a tree, and shaped like a pipe-bomb for all I care. The consequences will be what they are and I don't have to go and find it if I disagree with it....

For me it's more a suggestion of "I'd find it helpful if CO's did this, and it's certainly what I would do as a CO myself in that situation". And etiquette in this case also goes beyond what cachers might feel to also having consideration for what the wider community might experience or perceive - and of course etiquette goes both ways. In the hiding AND the finding (or choosing not to find).

Now excuse me while I go finish off that pipe-bomb cache...
Sweet. This cache shall be known as CIPNBIJOASUATSLAPB. That will let everyone know it's:
A cache in a playground, near a busy intersection, just outside a school, up a tree, and shaped like a pipe-bomb.

ziggiau
Twitter: ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 26 May 15 4:53 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Do I need to take my own or can I just grab any child off the street to take with me? I have found in the past that option 2 results in more DNF's being recorded due to being required to attend the police station than the playground. Your opinion would be appreciated.
I don't have the skills or equipment (or nerve) to do most T5 caches but I do have the apparatus required to not look overly suspicious in a playground, i.e. the child decoy. Legal acquisition (or breeding) of said child may take some planning, but caching is worth it, right? :P

Happy Chappies

Post by Happy Chappies » 26 May 15 7:33 pm

Ironically also, the one time I've been 'confronted' by concerned parents whilst caching was in a park with absolutely no playground whatsoever... It was just some random park with absolutely nothing in it (except a cache!) which just happened to be used by the local rugrats. I kept to myself as I searched but was surrounded by the hordes soon after with questions of "What you doing, huh??" as they'd seen other people do similarly.... And then soon came the concerned parent, who'd been phoned by some local nosey-Nelly who'd been watching the whole thing from her windows (no doubt with telescope, note-pad, and A Current Affair playing in the background).

It turned out fine, but shows that it doesn't take a playground to turn you into a paedophile.