Garmin Montana Replacement Wanted

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found

Garmin Montana Replacement Wanted

Post by ian-and-penny » 25 March 15 9:29 pm

I'm sick and tired of my Montana freezing, turning itself off at inappropriate times and directing me to drive for (insert inappropriate distance here) before making a U turn etc. ](*,)

I'm wondering if there are any accurate, responsive, trouble free, auto routing, geocache friendly Garmin models out there.

What would you recommend I replace the Montana with?

geo_jas
3000 or more caches found

Re: Garmin Montana Replacement Wanted

Post by geo_jas » 27 March 15 7:28 pm

I loved my eTrex 30 (before I lost it at a cache in Port Melbourne)

I never had a problem with it being unresponsive or locking up.
GPS and GLONASS meant it always got a fast lock and with upwards of 20 satellites I couldn't complain about the accuracy.
I used routable openstreetmaps but having only used the street routing on a few occasions I can't comment too much except to say it worked well for me.

Being small it was perfect to throw in my pocket.

If you can live with the small screen and get used to the joystick interface (it's customizable and not too difficult) I would highly recommend it.

I'm saving up for a new one.

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 28 March 15 6:07 pm

Gee, I'm really surprised that you're having such problems. We have 2 of them and they have never given a moment's problem. They are both quick, accurate and the driving directions are generally great.

The only issue I would agree with is the way you are directed for miles to avoid a u-turn. I do find I need to have a vague idea where I'm going to avoid this trap now and again. But we've never had either of them turn off or freeze.

ShortcutHicksy

Post by ShortcutHicksy » 29 March 15 5:07 pm

I have a Monterra which may have a different setup but under Settings/Routing is "Avoidance Setup" and the default was set to avoid U turns. Turning that off may help if it is the same in the Montana.

McPhan

Post by McPhan » 31 March 15 6:55 pm

ShortcutHicksy wrote:I have a Monterra which may have a different setup but under Settings/Routing is "Avoidance Setup" and the default was set to avoid U turns. Turning that off may help if it is the same in the Montana.
Thank you a million times. I was wondering why the Monterra was sending me tens of kms out of the way. Now I know. Will need to see how that goes now. You're a champ ShortcutHicksy!