Archived trig points

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Archived trig points

Post by noikmeister » 21 March 15 4:41 pm

Hi,

What is the community's opinion on people archiving trig points just because they couldn't find a road in?

I have been going through my GSAK DB and found trig points that the map shows clearly on publicly available land like state forest, but they have been archived because there was no track. There are lots of trig points where there is no track. Unless you have actually made it out there and discovered that the trig isn't there or confirmed that the land is not accessible I don't see why it should be archived.

Thoughts?

GammaPiSigma
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Re: Archived trig points

Post by GammaPiSigma » 21 March 15 5:59 pm

As someone who enjoys off-track bushwalking, finding trigs in the scrub is great fun in my opnion. Don't see why the lack of a track to follow should discount a TP from being active. You can re-activate an archived TP cache if you want. Go for it I say.

Cheers,
Michael.

rogerw3
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by rogerw3 » 21 March 15 10:39 pm

Most definitely unarchived the trig if it is not on private property or otherwise restricted access land. Not being able to get there is not an excuse to archive.

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 22 March 15 12:28 pm

I personally enjoy getting out into the bush to find a cache, but almost nowhere now is completely public. Land management authorities seem to prefer big permanent scars through the bush, rather than small temporary ones.

Who's doing the archiving? Are Trig listings subject to approval from an authority like QPWS?

jusojara
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by jusojara » 23 March 15 1:01 pm

I agree, the lack of a defined track does not make a Trig un-accessable. Private property or the trig not actually there would be about the limit of the reasons for archiving i would think.

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 23 March 15 4:16 pm

noikmeister wrote:Hi,

What is the community's opinion on people archiving trig points just because they couldn't find a road in?

I have been going through my GSAK DB and found trig points that the map shows clearly on publicly available land like state forest, but they have been archived because there was no track. There are lots of trig points where there is no track. Unless you have actually made it out there and discovered that the trig isn't there or confirmed that the land is not accessible I don't see why it should be archived.

Thoughts?
Do you have an example?

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 23 March 15 7:34 pm

Well I don't want to name names you see. Word gets around and then I have to add another person to the list of geocachers-who-hate-me-for-having-an-opinon.

I already unarchived the trig in question. I'll PM you a link if you want.

spatialriq
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by spatialriq » 24 March 15 2:51 pm

If it's on private land, then yes archive it as it makes it nigh on impossible to access. If it's just a point out woop-woop then I see no problem. I too enjoy a nice walk :D

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 24 March 15 5:17 pm

Hard to access : Keep. It might be hard for you, easy for someone else as they may have other means of accessing. Some of us have been around long enough remember the mythical ideo-copter.

Illegal to access : Archive. *THIS* at the end of the day is the only non-negotiable rule we have here.

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 24 March 15 10:02 pm

I noticed one which was archived at the request of the land owner. It would seem that, despite the trig being visible from the road side, that some people felt the need to climb the fence and walk right over to the trig. Sad that the irresponsible ruin it for everyone.