Lone Cachers

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
blackadders
400 or more spectacular views seen

Lone Cachers

Post by blackadders » 30 January 14 2:32 pm

Thought this topic may be of interest to any and all cachers who find themselves searching on their own. Yes this is supposed to be a family hobby but are there any out there like me who's family just does not have the addictive bug that you get from finding that elusive hide?

I am part of a team where one works late shifts which is great for night / early morning caching but is not always available. We all know that searching on our own can be difficult especially in populated areas, watching out for muggles etc.
The number of times I have been at GZ but cant watch for muggles and search at the same time.

Maybe we could have an area (even this one) where lone cachers can find a fellow lone caching companion (or two) to search together? A companion who lives nearby?

What do others think?

Paul
blackadders
Salisbury, South.Aust

PS you can send me a PM or reply here if you are interested

the Monkey King
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: The Monkey King @Au

Re: Lone Cachers

Post by the Monkey King » 30 January 14 4:05 pm

I like the idea, as I am a lone cacher as well.

I have been lucky in this last month as my Mrs has come along for a bike ride when I cache, but not all the caches I want to find are within a realistic bike riding distance.

I am in the Langwarrin area of Victoria is anyone needs a caching companion.

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 01 February 14 11:35 pm

I am also lone cacher (most of the time). Usually I chase events (since there's so many of them now!) and go group caching afterwards with whoever wants to come along...

I'm happy to join you if you like... How about a trip to this http://coord.info/GC4XDGQ event in a couple weeks time?

If your looking for some one based near Salisbury, Locus cache is always keen to go caching just about anywhere at any-time (even 2am in the morning!)...

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 02 February 14 1:23 am

Blackadders said, "this is supposed to be a family hobby"
I have never thought of Geocaching that way. I see it is for anyone, regardless of whether they have a family. For those that don't have a family that's an excluding comment.

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 02 February 14 8:53 am

I live in an area away from populated areas. There are a few, not many, geocachers in my area and other than all my hides in the area there are less than 10 others within a 30klm radius of me. For me to go caching involves a drive of at least 150klm before I can even begin to start hunting hides. I am also in an occupation that has a roster that covers 24/7 on a cyclic shift rotation over 7 weeks plus on call so my days off are not on the recognised weekends of Saturday and Sunday. Having said that it is good as most of my days off are either three or four days in a row. This makes it nearly impossible to team up with anyone else but I have been lone caching since 2007 and I do not mind it. I will always jump at the opportunity to go caching with anyone else and this usually happens if I go away to an event. When we go away on holidays Christine enjoys caching with me but does not like to travel a long distance just to cache. My next big trip will be out to Roma St.George Goondiwindi and home that will be just short of a 1000k and about 60 caches over 5 days and I will be going it alone again.
John aka youngoldfella

If

Post by If » 02 February 14 7:48 pm

Nup !! Never cached alone :^o

There is always the cache owner keeping a weather eye on me in spirit !! =D>

Wimad1101
Twitter: SMSFWilson

Post by Wimad1101 » 04 February 14 7:52 am

I'm a lone cacher on the Central Coast of NSW, but lately i've been able to convert the wife into it, so hopefully I won't be a loner for much longer!

I find it better sharing the hunt with others, especially if you're climbing all over rocks, searching in every spot and still come up empty while trying to not act suspicious whem muggles look your way.

I actually realised last week i've been caching on and off for 2 years (getting right into it now) and have never met another cacher. Pretty cool, but would be good to come across one every now and again.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 04 February 14 3:39 pm

I'm wonder if there is a feature here for GCA to fill.. ie some sort of queue for people to see if they want to join other people for a cache or two on a particular day.

blackadders

Post by blackadders » 04 February 14 7:46 pm

Goldenwattle wrote:Blackadders said, "this is supposed to be a family hobby"
I have never thought of Geocaching that way. I see it is for anyone, regardless of whether they have a family. For those that don't have a family that's an excluding comment.
Please, lets not get the topic and suggestion out of context, yes it can be a family hobby but the gist of the topic says it all, and yes maybe it is a gap that can be looked at by CGA.

Many a time I have thought I have free time, the weather is great, wonder if there is another local cacher or two who would like to go out and do some searching?

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 04 February 14 9:32 pm

I admit to primarily caching alone, however my partner will sometimes come along if she is in the mood for it. But as we work different days my Sunday might be her Saturday and so on and she just wants to relax. For a while I was in a relationship that involved kids and they did enjoy it (a few at least as long as we could find treasures, and it didn't take too long per cache as they lost interest quickly) but it didn't stop me caching alone either to get the boring micros or a FTF attempt near work.

I've only ever done a couple of planned caching runs with others for a day, generally when I lived back in Adelaide. Occasionally I have been out, bumped into someone else and we have ended up caching for the day together but that's mainly happened on interstate trips where I hadn't found any local ones so didn't mind which ones they were targetting.

My caching is generally "when I feel like it" so I don't tend to plan too much in advance, though a couple of us have a bushwalk planned to a slightly remote one near home.

Taz

Post by Taz » 07 April 14 11:22 am

I'm another in this category, sometimes I can talk my husband or bribe my kids into coming with me which is wonderful.
To be honest I am extremely uncomfortable going out on my own which means I get more DNFs because I get self conscious and give up. So that means unless I can talk/blackmail someone into it I tend to not go..... sadly my husband just started a new project/hobby which is going to impact on my finds :cry:

2Lost-Souls
Twitter: @Amanda467

Post by 2Lost-Souls » 22 April 14 9:31 am

I've cached alone more often than not, doing entire powertrails, remote outback caches, caches in scenic spots most of the time on my lonesome. I guess this is because of the work I do and the locations that it takes me. However I love caching with others and learn so much from them when I do. So... If you are coming to Alice Springs and want to do some of the local caches, get in touch.

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 22 April 14 9:38 pm

blockaders wrote:... Yes this is supposed to be a family hobby ...
Since when :?:

Have I been doing it wrong for 10 & 1/2 years :?: :shock:

Jeta73

Post by Jeta73 » 23 April 14 1:59 pm

I am a new beginner and am going to be doing it by myself, but i dont want to. I'd love anyone in the Sth East Suburbs of melbourne to help me begin this new adventure with me.
Jeta
and is a muggle a stranger (someone walking past while you try to find?)
jus trying to work out all these words you all have like TCTV? or something like that.
Where do i find a glossary on what everything means? Unless anyone wants to fill me in on a few geocaching 'talk' :)
Jeta

biggles1024
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by biggles1024 » 23 April 14 4:50 pm

Jeta73 wrote:I am a new beginner and am going to be doing it by myself, but i dont want to. I'd love anyone in the Sth East Suburbs of melbourne to help me begin this new adventure with me.
Jeta
and is a muggle a stranger (someone walking past while you try to find?)
jus trying to work out all these words you all have like TCTV? or something like that.
Where do i find a glossary on what everything means? Unless anyone wants to fill me in on a few geocaching 'talk' :)
Jeta
Hi Jeta,

first a word of advice. The colour you've used nearly burned my retinas. :shock: I encourage you to stick with black as it's the easiest to read. :)

Most of us I believe started on our own and taught ourselves by trial and error only later on did we meet up with other geocachers most often whilst trying for the same cache.

What have you done on your own thus far?

And to answer your question, "what is a muggle?" A muggle is anyone who isn't a geocacher. It comes from Harry Potter (so my GP tells me) where the term is used to describe any non-magical person.

You will find a mountain of information by simply conducting a search for "geocaching". There is a glossary of terms on geocaching.com as well as a handy search feature.

Cheers,

b.