Library Geocaching

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
confusedcious
Twitter: Heatherconf

Library Geocaching

Post by confusedcious » 10 January 14 12:15 pm

Hi there, long time no see...

I work in a public library and with an investigation theme we wanted to have a couple geocaches operating.

We ran into two issues trying to register it on the groundspeak site - first tying it into a promotion (even a totally non-commercial one) and second proximity with one of the caches. Unfortunately the thing's already in our promotional materials and we've even had a media inquiry!

Do you think it would be appropriate to list it on GCA with the affiliation to the library clear and the option of coming into the library for a token if the library is open (but not compulsory, log would of course be in the cache itself)

the Monkey King
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: The Monkey King @Au

Re: Library Geocaching

Post by the Monkey King » 10 January 14 12:20 pm

Whilst I can't add anything to help your situation, I will be watching with interest as I have always wanted to make a book cache to hide in a library but have no idea how to go about getting permission, or even if it would be allowed.

confusedcious

Post by confusedcious » 10 January 14 12:22 pm

I've had success registering two multis ending in libraries as a private individual without any affilitation with the library (beyond permission to place it) however I had to do a lot to get it past the moderators. Fair enough, really, but in this case while the cache isn't actually indoors we've run into trouble elsewhere.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 January 14 1:16 pm

confusedcious wrote:Do you think it would be appropriate to list it on GCA with the affiliation to the library clear and the option of coming into the library for a token if the library is open (but not compulsory, log would of course be in the cache itself)
Yes it would be appropriate. GCA has no rules about anything (the law may have a different opinion, so always do legal things). If you want to promote the library, knock yourself out.

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 10 January 14 7:44 pm

You might like to speak to the second half of Archie B1 & B2, she has placed a number of caches as 'Watsonia Library' I know she would have a lot to say, as I know it was a log of work.
here is a link to one of the caches http://coord.info/GC4HHK8

wombatatcrows

Post by wombatatcrows » 10 January 14 9:50 pm

GC19K2A - Library Lookup is another geocache that can be found in the National Library of Australia in Canberra.

The cache was hidden in March 2008 and at the time of this posting the most recent find was in Jan 2014. So the cache has survived the test of time.

I assume that TankEngine had to have done some negotiating with the staff at the NLA. The cache is inside the library so access times are noted in the description as the opening hours of the library of course.

allrounder
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by allrounder » 12 January 14 12:07 am

re Library Lookup, the information to locate the cache is in the library but the cache isn't

Dippedidooda
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Dippedidooda » 12 January 14 10:07 am

And in Tassie there's Beloved Books GA0256 by Forthferalz. This is a lovely cache - it is disguised as a book on the shelf - you'd wonder that it would have got picked up and muggled, but it's been there since 2005. Carefully constructed and it's one of those really nice caches. It's shelved in the fiction section under the author's name and the librarians know about it.

confusedcious

Post by confusedcious » 13 January 14 9:43 am

I've placed library caches before, even ending inside a library.

The issue with this one on GC was the connection with an organisation. As soon as the member of staff with the information is in I'll get onto fixing this up :)

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 13 January 14 10:19 am

Here's our local one in northern Sydney:
Bibliotheca Robotum

solomonfamily
1700 or more caches found
1700 or more caches found

Post by solomonfamily » 16 January 14 4:50 pm

I am hoping to get to this event but not the odds are not in my favour at the moment.
I was thinking of this thread when I read the event description. I am pretty sure we have done a cache that required us to visit a book in its collection too...

take a look at the event GC4TBYB "A Sizzling Meet and Greet"
http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4T ... -and-greet

We have certainly visited other caches that require specific references at specific libraries.

the Monkey King
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: The Monkey King @Au

Post by the Monkey King » 17 January 14 2:03 pm

There is a great thread on the GC forums: http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... pic=296926